Inexplicable by Steve Shufton

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Inexplicable by Steve Shufton

Postby Tom Frame » June 17th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Inexplicable (Trick) by Steve Shufton $20.00
14 pages of 5.75” x 3.75” instructions with 10 photographs, 3.5” x 2.5” cardboard envelope with lid, one rubber band, one special prediction card.
Available at: http://www.shufton.com/Magic/Inexplicab ... cable.html

When I spoke to Steve Shufton about sending me this product for review, his response was most gracious. He invited me to a command performance of the effect at his secret magical compound nestled in the hempy hills of Half Moon Bay, California. What follows is a precise description of my experience of the effect.

Mr. Shufton tabled a black cardboard envelope with a lid, encircled by a rubber band. I examined a deck of cards and found nothing amiss. I held the face-down deck in my left hand and dealt cards off the top of the deck, one by one into a face-up pile on the table. I stopped dealing when I felt like it. The Four of Clubs glared menacingly at me from atop the pile.

With empty hands, Mr. Shufton removed the rubber band from the envelope. He removed the lid from the envelope and there was one face-up card sticking out of the envelope. It was the Four of Clubs! Mr. Shufton removed the card and showed me that the envelope was empty. He put the card back into the envelope, put the lid on, wrapped the rubber band around it and put it away.

I made a hefty deposit in my diaper and sobbed inconsolably until he taught me how it was done.

Mr. Shufton writes well and does a fine job of teaching the handling. He dutifully provides appropriate attribution.

The photographs are clear and helpful.

The cleverly designed envelope is well constructed of sturdy cardboard. Unless you handle it roughly, it will last a long time.

The deck is normal and contains no duplicates. By merely placing the dealt cards face-down on top of the deck, the effect is re-set.

There is only one prediction card in the envelope and the envelope is not gimmicked.

There are a few factors to consider. While the deck is normal, you can’t perform this effect with a borrowed deck. A small set-up is required.

The prediction card can’t be examined, but I can’t imagine why anyone would feel the need to examine it.

Mr. Shufton teaches a procedure for removing the prediction card from the envelope to prove that the envelope is empty. His handling doesn’t look weird, but it does look a wee bit, uh, studied or deliberate. If you’re comfortable with the proving sequence, leave it in.

I would eliminate it. When you remove the lid from the envelope, the face-up prediction card is immediately visible. Pow! That’s the stunning climax. I don’t want to dilute its power by engaging in an anticlimactic proving procedure. I would simply remove the lid, display the prediction card while it’s still in the envelope, put the lid back on and put it away.

Steve Shufton’s Inexplicable is a terrific effect, accomplished by diabolical means. When it is officially released on July 1st, drop whatever you’re doing and buy it!

Highly Recommended
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

Shufton

Re: Inexplicable by Steve Shufton

Postby Shufton » June 17th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great review.

There are those performing this impromptu with a borrowd deck - Kenton Knepper for one. Obviously this will take a bit of skill, or you can just get ready casually while toying with the deck.

Best to you, and Thanks Tom-

-Steve
Everything is magic!

Steve Shufton
Shufton Magic

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » June 17th, 2013, 9:27 pm

A couple of folks expressed their difficulty visualizing the envelope and lid. I apologize for my lack of clarity. The flat, rectangular envelope is in two pieces. There is a main envelope and a lid, or cap that fits over the open end.

Think of a cylindrical mailing tube with a round cap that fits over the open end. Now, place it on the ground and drive a steamroller over it. The resultant flattened object is a simulacrum of the envelope and lid.
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » June 18th, 2013, 12:55 am

Thanks for the great review Tom.

I have this on order and can't wait to receive it. BTW, I love your description of the envelope in your last post! (Though I must admit you sent me to the dictionary with "simulacrum"; had me thinking baby formula at first!)

Jim

Rob UK

Postby Rob UK » June 18th, 2013, 5:00 am

Ah, you've just given away the method!

Get a round mailing tube, put a full deck in it, run over it with a steamroller. You can now pull out any card from a flat envelope!

JHostler

Postby JHostler » June 18th, 2013, 10:47 am

I made a hefty deposit in my diaper and sobbed inconsolably until he taught me how it was done.

Between this endorsement and the "coprophagia" reference in Max's audio column, I'm beginning to think stars are aligning. Over what, I'm not exactly sure...
It's a Firkin great day at http://www.absurdulous.com!

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » June 18th, 2013, 2:16 pm

just ordered this, if the description is accurate, this is a steal for the price, and based on the reviews of Shuftons previous work, i suspect i will not be disappointed

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Frank Quiroz

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”