Organik by Jeff Prace

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Organik by Jeff Prace

Postby Tom Frame » March 16th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Organik (Download) by Jeff Prace $10.00
Running time: 39 minutes
Available at: http://www.trcky.com/catalog/people/jef ... vol-1.html

Let me get this rant out of the way. First of all, in the context of magic, I hate the term “organic.” Ick! The mere writing of that word just gave me angina and caused my right eye to blink uncontrollably.

Apparently, this useless neologism refers to a genre of magic that eschews the use of cards and employs common objects that people carry, or familiar objects found in the environment.

Leaping linguistics! Who the hell coined this superfluous term and why did he think we needed it? Why have a mob of misguided magi embraced it and made it the buzzword du jour?

Second, I am filled with despair when educated, upper middle class, young guys intentionally misspell words as part of their laughable effort to appear “street” or “gansta.” Why would anyone want to appear less financially solvent and less intelligent than they are?

Okay, I feel better.

On to the latest download from Jeff Prace. The production values of the video are good. Mr. Prace does a fine job of teaching the material.

His demeanor and presentations are appropriate for his target audience of magic consumers, seemingly between the ages of 12 and 24. I’m sure that his style will appeal to them.

I’m a 53 year old hippy rock and roller, so his style doesn’t turn me on. But that’s more than okay. Hell, I’d be mortified if I thought it was groovy!

Click on the link above to view a trailer of the following effects.

Earfun: The performer holds the cord of one of his ear bud headphones, dangling limply, in his left hand. With his right hand, he raises the cord to a horizontal position. He utters the magic words, “Social isolator”, and the cord remains suspended horizontally. He snaps his fingers and the cord returns to its flaccid state.

The method is obvious and has been around since the dawn of rope magic. If you don’t mind modifying your headphones so that they no longer function and can’t be examined, then this is the effect for you.

I don’t like it.

Sharing is Caring: The performer displays a rectangular pack of Listerine Breath Strips. He opens the lid and demonstrates how a strip is typically removed from the pack. He doesn’t actually remove a strip. He closes the lid and displays all sides of the pack. His hands are otherwise empty.

He places the pack on the extended fingers of his palm-up left hand, with its long side facing the crowd. With his right fingers, he grasps the inner side of the pack and yanks it toward him, pulling a breath strip through the side of the pack.

The effect is impromptu and can be performed with a borrowed pack of breath strips. Everything is immediately examinable or edible. Mr. Prace has discovered a sneaky property of these packs that makes this novel penetration possible.

I like it.

Pb: The performer displays two identical mechanical pencils. He repeatedly presses the buttons of the pencils to prove that they are empty. He inserts a stick of lead into one of the pencils. He shakes the leaded pencil and the lead is heard rattling within. He shakes the empty pen and nothing is heard.

The performer places the leaded pencil on the table, away from the unleaded pencil. He invisibly removes the lead from the leaded pencil and tosses it toward the unleaded pencil.

He shakes the formerly leaded pencil and no rattling is heard. He shakes the formerly empty pencil and rattling is now heard. The performer tables this pencil and puts his hands in his pockets. He removes his hands from his pockets and hands the now rattling pencil to the participant. She presses the button and the lead emerges.

Here we have Mr. Prace’s clever adaptation of our old pals, the Rattle Bars. I would change the handling a bit. After shaking the formerly empty pencil and rattling is heard, don’t table the pencil and go to your pocket.

Since you’re already holding the pencil, you press its button to reveal the transported lead. Keep pressing the button until the lead falls out of the pencil and lands on the table. Table the pencil and invite the participant to examine everything. Then you can casually put your hands in your pockets as you relax and soak up the thunderous applause.

This modification eliminates the need to “go south” during the performance. It also prevents a particularly nasty event. If you hand the pencil to the participant and instruct her to press the button to reveal the lead, there is a good chance that she will shake the pencil before she ejects the lead. The pencil won’t rattle! That calamitous occurrence will torpedo the effect and you’ll have some ‘splaining to do.

I like it.

Flavorless: The performer munches a piece of gum. He removes the masticated wad from his maw and places it on the palm of his left hand.

He removes a pack of gum from his pocket and displays both sides. He taps the chomped wad with the pack and it transforms into a brand new piece of gum. He pops the gum into his mouth and offers the pack to the crowd.

In the real world, new gum is larger than chewed gum. In Mr. Prace’s effect, new gum is smaller than chewed gum. Arts and crafts-wise, you can make the chewed gum a bit smaller, and more realistic, but it will never be smaller than the pristine piece.

I guess you have to hope that the crowd doesn’t notice this odd phenomenon. Maybe keeping your handing moving might help? This is a potentially troublesome issue, but I must admit that Mr. Prace’s method makes me smile.

I like it.

I doubt that I’ll ever perform any of these effects, but that doesn’t prevent me from appreciating the thinking that produced them. I continue to be impressed by Mr. Prace’s creativity and I look forward to his future offerings.

Recommended
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

rich aviles

Re: Organik by Jeff Prace

Postby rich aviles » March 21st, 2013, 11:37 pm

T0m, 1 H4v3 n0 1d34 why y00 d0N'T l1k3 th3 n4M3 Organik. :)

Solid review. Really appreciate the candor in your words. The world needs more of that.

r1cH 4v1l32
Cat Herder at TRCKY.com.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”