Drawn In by Oliver Meech

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Drawn In by Oliver Meech

Postby Tom Frame » April 24th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Drawn In (Book) by Oliver Meech 39.50 / $63.30
Paperback, 6" x 8.5", perfect bound with glossy cover, 132 pages.
Available at: http://www.lulu.com/shop/oliver-meech/d ... 24276.html

Oliver Meech is a very clever, very creative chap. Ive recommended all of the products that he has sent for review. So I was quite pleased to receive his latest offering, Drawn In.

The macabre mentalism effect looks like this.

The performer describes how he loved reading Choose Your Own Adventure books, in which the reader played the hero and decided how the story developed. He displays a paperback book. He explains that it is a new version of that type of book and that it is psychic.

The performer opens the book to page one, hands it to the participant and asks her to read it aloud. He looks over her shoulder and reads the lines of the Tour Guide character in the story.

During the eerie story, the book asks the participant to make free choices regarding the color, suit, court or number and ultimately the value of a card. When she makes a choice, the book directs her to turn to the appropriate page to continue reading. Eventually, she decides upon one card.

Before reading the final passage, the performer asks her to read the facing page to see what card she would have selected and what would have happened to her if she had chosen a different path.

The performer removes a deck from his pocket and spreads it face-up. One face-down card is seen in the spread. He removes the card and tables it face-down.

The participant announces her card, reads her selected passage and discovers her terrifying fate. The performer turns over the card, revealing a perfect match.

The author writes very well, with a subtle touch of whimsy. He has not merely successfully integrated the story and the effect. The story is the effect.

Mr. Meech channeled Rod Serling and crafted a magical, spooky, surprising short story worthy of The Twilight Zone. Its an impressive theatrical piece. I really like it!

The effect is suitable for close-up and stage performances. The author provides good ideas for embellishing the performance and making it play big.

The well designed book contains the story, the presentation, the instructions (cheekily housed in the Acknowledgments) and half of the method.

The other half of the method requires a well known gimmicked deck that is not supplied.

The participant cannot scrupulously scrutinize the book, but after handling it throughout the effect, she will feel little need to examine it further.

I really like this book.

I really dislike this books price. Sweet bald-headed Buddha! What the hell was Mr. Meech thinking?!

Large, hardbound books containing dozens of effects typically cost $40.00 to $50.00. I dont understand how the author can justify a $63.00 price tag for a one-trick, paperback book. And if you dont already own the special deck, youll need to spend an additional $8.00 for it.

20.00 / $32.00 is a much more realistic asking price, period.

Damn! I am truly torn. This is a very close call. But when I really like a product, I dont give it a negative review based solely upon its price. Who am I to put a price on another mans labors?

If you set the proper tone and immerse yourself in your performance of Drawn In, you can create a strong, dark, theatrical magic experience that the crowd will not soon forget. If youre willing to invest yourself and your money in that experience, youll be pleased with the results.

Recommended

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Drawn In by Oliver Meech

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2012, 4:31 pm

The creator/publisher is entitled to put whatever price he likes on his product. The marketplace is the sole judge of his decision.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » April 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm

It's definitely useful for the reviewer to measure the content against the price.

It's done all the time, often to the benefit of authors: "This effect alone is worth the price of the book."

Jeff Stone

Postby Jeff Stone » April 24th, 2012, 5:14 pm

In my rarely-ever-humble opinion, I think this book is worth more than Oliver is charging. Here's My Full Review

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Everything is relative.

To a professional who uses the item, the $63 price is meager.

To an amateur who will buy the item and put it on the shelf, it will probably be worth less unless the intellectual stimulation alone is sufficiently rewarding.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff Stone

Postby Jeff Stone » April 24th, 2012, 5:52 pm

@Richard - Agreed. I paid the fat price tag of $350 ish for my copy of MOABT, and it's been more than worth it.

I think Meech's book is in that same type of category. Having a $350 MOABT on your bookshelf that never sees the light of the stage makes the price too much.

Same with Oliver's book. The book, conceptually, is a brilliant piece of theater that a real worker would be happy to pay double or more the price for such a clever prop.

Losander's floating table would be a waste of money for me because I don't perform that style of magic. But those who've purchased it (I'm assuming) felt it was worth the steep price tag.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”