Just Cards by John Gelasi

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Just Cards by John Gelasi

Postby Tom Frame » January 18th, 2012, 10:10 am

Just Cards (Ebook) by John Gelasi $9.00
14 pages, links to performances of each effect
Available at: www.gelasiMagic.weebly.com

In this ebook, John Gelasi offers his versions of several familiar effects that involve, uh, just cards.

I applaud the author for actually writing this ebook, instead of releasing it as yet another cheesy, overpriced DVD or download.

Mr. Gelasi writes well and does a good job of teaching the methods. He dutifully cites his recent inspirational sources, but he doesnt reference primary works.

I really like one feature of this ebook. Mr. Gelasi includes links to performance videos of each of the effects. While the authors technique is a bit rough, I appreciated seeing the effects in addition to reading about them.

Fine Feathered Finks: The performer displays the four Jacks. A participant freely selects a card from the face-up deck. The performer inserts her card face-down into the face-up Jack packet. Her card vanishes from the packet. The performer turns the top card of the deck face-up, revealing her selection.

The performer waves his hand over her card and it vanishes. He counts the face-up Jack packet, revealing the face-down selection among the Jacks. He places the Jacks face-down on top of the selection and pushes the packet through his fist. The selection vanishes again. The performer spreads the deck and reveals her selection reversed in the spread.

I like it.

Yes We CAAN: A participant freely selects a card, which is lost in the deck. She cuts a small block of cards off of the top of the face-down deck, turns it face-up and replaces it on top of the deck. She cuts off a larger block of cards, turns it face-up and replaces it on top.

The performer counts the face-up cards onto the table to arrive at a random number, say 14. He turns these cards face-down, drops them on top of the deck and cuts the deck. The participant counts down to the 14th card and discovers her selection.

I like it.

Yes We CAAN Variation (Cameron Francis): A participant freely selects a card, which is lost in the deck. She cuts a packet of cards off the top of the deck and hands it to the performer. He turns the packet face-up and counts the cards. Lets say there are 17 cards. The participant doesnt see her card. He turns those cards face-down and deposits them on top of the deck.

The participant takes the deck, counts down to the 17th card and discovers her selection.

I like this version even better because it doesn't rely upon the Balducci force.

And Another Thing: The performer displays the four Kings. He loses the black Kings in the deck. He turns one of the red Kings face-up on top of the other red King. The performer waves the red Kings over the deck and they transform into the black Kings.

The black Kings are lost in the deck. The performer turns over the top card of the deck, revealing a black King. He spreads the deck face-up to display one card reversed in the center. He slides that card to the participant. She turns the card over and discovers a red King. The performer removes a black King from his pocket. The participant opens the card case and finds the remaining red King inside.

I like it.

J.G. Monte: The performer displays the Queen of Hearts sandwiched between the two black Tens. He turns the packet face-down and reverses the order of the cards. The participant states that the Queen is in the middle of the packet. The performer turns the top card face-up, revealing the Queen.

He turns the Queen face-down and reinserts it into the packet. The participant guesses the location of the Queen. The performer turns over the top card of the packet, revealing the Queen.

The performer turns the Queen face-down. He removes the two bottom cards, the Tens, and tables them face-down. He places the Queen in the card case.

The performer picks up the Tens, shakes them and they transform into the Queen. The participant removes the black Tens from the card case.

The performer retrieves the Tens, turns them face-down and slides them beneath the face-up Queen in his hand. He turns the Queen face-down and loses it in the deck. He turns the packet face-up and reveals the Queen sandwiched between the Tens.

I like it.

Estimation: A participant freely selects a card, which is lost in the deck. The performer turns over the top card of the deck, revealing her selection. He turns her card face-down and tables it.

The performer asks the participant to name a number between 10 and 20, to estimate the position of an Ace in the deck. He deals that number of cards into a pile on the table. He adds the two digits of her number together to arrive at a new number. He picks up the packet of dealt cards and deals the new number of cards into a tabled pile. He turns over the last card dealt to reveal an Ace.

The performer places the rest of the cards in his hand on top of the deck. He turns over the top card of the deck, displaying an Eight. He places it face-up on top of the tabled pile.

He deals eight cards from the top of the deck into another pile. He turns over the top card of that pile and reveals the second Ace.

The performer picks up the face-up Eight and taps it on the top card of the small packet. He turns over the top card of that pile and reveals the third Ace.

He turns the deck face-up, displaying a Seven on the face. He deals the Seven to the table. He deals seven cards from the face of the deck and the participants card is revealed. He turns over the tabled card that is supposedly the participants card and reveals that it is the final Ace.

I dont like the 10/20 force. Mr. Gelasis use of it undermines the premise that the participant estimates the position of an Ace. If the participant estimates that an Ace is at, say, the 14th position, the performer should deal 14 cards and reveal an Ace. Adding the digits together and dealing 5 more cards is contrived. She estimated 14 cards, not 5!

I dont like it.

While Mr. Gelasis offerings arent Earth-shattering, the effects are appealing and the majority of the methods are well chosen. Nine bucks is a small price to pay for Just Cards.

Recommended
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

J-Mac

Re: Just Cards by John Gelasi

Postby J-Mac » February 20th, 2012, 11:33 pm

I'll be picking this one up. Got his last ebook and it was surprisingly good. Dont know if anyone realized it but John is a teenager! (Wish I had started waaay back then!)

Jim

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”