Balls by Stefan Olschewski

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Balls by Stefan Olschewski

Postby Tom Frame » October 11th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Balls (PDF) by Stefan Olschewski $5.00
7 pages
Available at: http://www.stefanmagie.de/shop.htm

Dick Zimmermans Master Prediction System is an amazing effect. If you have a spare three grand lying around, you too can perform this marvel of mentalism. Or, for a mere five bucks, you can learn Stefan Olschewskis no budget version.

Mr. Olschewski writes in a mildly playful style that didnt make me cringe. He does a good to inadequate job of teaching the material. He dutifully cites his inspirational sources.

The PDF lacks much needed photographs.

On stage, a sealed cardboard box containing the performers prediction is hanging from the ceiling. Members of the crowd call out three random objects, dates, whatever.

The performer invites a participant onto the stage. An assistant brings a table on stage. Sitting on the table is a knife. The performer detaches the box from its tether and hands it to the participant. She uses the knife to sever the boxs seal and she opens the box.

He removes a cigar box from inside of the cardboard box and places it on the table. He takes the cardboard box from the participant, shows it to be empty and drops it to the floor.

The performer opens the cigar box and removes a black envelope, bearing a white question mark. The participant opens the envelope and removes and reads the performers prediction. He correctly predicted all three objects.

The effects testicular title warns the potential purchaser that clanking cajones are required to perform it. Mr. Olschewski cleverly applies an old principle in a very bold manner. I like his thinking.

The one time preparation of one of the props will take about ten minutes.

The effect must be performed on an elevated stage.

You must employ an assistant. I would refer to him as My manservant, Otto.

Mr. Olschewski doesnt provide a detailed description of the stage blocking. However, with a little thought, you can block the effect to minimize the likelihood that the participant will see something that shes not supposed to see.

I like his use of a cigar box. Cigar boxes are quaint, cool depositories of childhood treasures.

I dont like his use of a cardboard box. The author champions its use because its such a common, guileless object. I understand his organic argument.

But in effects of this type, you want to convey to the crowd that the prediction is housed in a secure container. A cardboard box isnt my idea of security. I want something solid and strong and manly!

And a cardboard box just looks so cheap. Sweet sweating Shakespeare! Youre performing on stage, man! Do you really want the crowd to think that youre so poor or miserly or tasteless that you wont spring for a decent looking prop?

Unless the use of a shabby prop is consistent with your character, Id replace the cardboard box with something nicer and more substantial.

Despite that objection, I like the authors method.

Solo Version
: On stage, a sealed cardboard box containing the performers prediction is hanging from a stand. Members of the crowd call out three random objects. The performer records the objects on a pad and places it on the table, which also holds a knife.

The performer invites a participant onto the stage. He picks up the pad and displays the noted items again.

He detaches the box from its tether and hands it to the participant. She uses the knife to sever the boxs seal and she opens the box.

The performer removes a cigar box from inside of the cardboard box and places it on the table. He takes the cardboard box from the participant, shows it to be empty and drops it to the floor.

The performer opens the cigar box and removes a black envelope, bearing a white question mark. He opens the envelope and the participant removes his prediction. She reads the prediction and it is correct.

Mr. Olschewski's instructions are inadequate. They lack important detail. He should have included numerous photographs to support the meager text. I like the idea of the method. It appears to be sound. But I cant understand exactly how to execute it, so I cant like it.

This is a pretty close call. But I cant ignore the fact that the authors method of performing the assisted version packs a hell of a big bang for only five bucks.

Recommended
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

Stefan O.

Re: Balls by Stefan Olschewski

Postby Stefan O. » October 12th, 2011, 7:52 am

Hi Tom,

thanks for the honest review! Just one little comment on the lack of photographs: as I state in the introduction I actually did this on purpose. Everybody who knows my previous publications will know that I usually go into a lot of detail, but here, I really wanted to keep everything quite open and imagination-inspiring. It was sort of an experiment and if there will be a new, improved additon someday, this will definitley look different and be much longer and more elaborate :-)

Regards

Stefan

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”