The Switch by Tony Miller

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

The Switch by Tony Miller

Postby Tom Frame » August 12th, 2011, 11:03 am

The Switch (Trick) by Tony Miller $30.00
Available at: http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/switch.html

Leave it to Tony Miller to name an effect based upon its method. Thats ballsy in a psychotic kind of way. Keep your eyes peeled for his futures releases, The Stacked Deck and The Force.

The performer places a folded card into a previously examined card case. He tables the card case with the flap open, so that the folded card remains in view. A participant freely selects and signs a card, which is returned to the deck. The performer picks up the card case and flicks its flap, causing the folded card to spring to the table. The participant unfolds the card and it is her signed selection. The card case is empty.

Click on the link above to watch Mr. Miller perform the effect for Rosie.

Oh, those wacky lovebirds. For some reason, he didnt have Rosie sign the card. However, the card should be signed to maximize the effects impact and to rule out other methods.

And when you get right down to it, this product is all about the method. The effect is not new. It is one of numerous variants of Brother John Hammans terrific effect, The Signed Card.

What sets this offering apart is the method the switch. It looks very good, meaning that it looks like nothing at all. It doesnt appear that a switch is taking place, or even possible. I rewound the video countless times and still had no clue what he was doing. I really like it.

The gimmick system is very clever. I dont recall previously seeing these devices applied in this manner.

For $30.00, you receive a small polybag that contains a gaff, special material and a link to a secret area of Mr. Millers web site. There you will find three videos in which Mr. Miller describes how to construct the gimmick and teaches several different switching techniques.

The three videos have a total running time of 21 minutes. I dont understand why Mr. Miller chose to slice up the video into three segments. Its a minor hassle having to click back and forth between files if you want to revisit a particular segment.

The video was recorded in Mr. Millers kitchen and consists of one continuous medium shot. Unfortunately, there are no close ups. They would have been helpful during the construction segment. However, Mr. Miller does a very good job of teaching the material, so youll learn what you need to know.

The gimmick can be easily constructed in about a minute.

I was a bit disappointed by Mr. Millers calm, pleasant demeanor. I was hoping for great lashings of shouting and cursing and defaming of cultures. Oh well. Maybe next time.

To perform the signed card version, you are required to execute the Mercury Fold. If youre not comfortable with that technique, Mr. Miller suggests an alternative method. That method doesnt allow the card to be signed.

Youll also learn a cool method in which the switch occurs while the card case is flat on the table. While this technique doesnt possess the visual appeal of the flick version, the mechanics of this technique are delightful. I really like it.

Mr. Millers offers an efficient technique for ditching the devices that leaves the card case clean and ready for inspection. The technique takes place as the attention is focused on the participant unfolding the card.

Mr. Miller also describes how to adapt the gimmick to a dollar bill for use in a mentalism effect. The bill is used as a billet, upon which the performer writes a prediction, which ultimately proves to be correct. This minor variation is okay.

My only complaint about this product is that I feel that it is overpriced. $30.00 for a familiar effect that can be accomplished without a card box, via sleight of hand seems a bit high. $20.00 seems more reasonable.

On the other hand, I know a few people who were happy to pay $85.00 for John Kennedys Mystery Box II.

So, if you already perform a sleight of hand version of this effect and are happy with it, I dont think you need this effect. However, the visual splendor of the switch itself may compel you to buy it anyway.

If youve been craving a Mystery Box-type method, but didnt want to pay the price, The Switch accomplishes the same effect for less than half the price and uses an ordinary card case instead of whatever that box is supposed to be.

Recommended

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Switch by Tony Miller

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2011, 11:09 am

I saw Tony do this at Magi-Fest last year and it's really excellent. In fact, I think it's in my dealer-room walk-through video in the digital edition of one of the back issues of Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doomo

Postby Doomo » August 12th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Okay Meester Frame! Yep... Recorded in the kitchen... Thats just where we do things... Not a signed card... Did not figure that was important as it is the actual switch that is important...

The name... Guilty... I would have called it Bammo Card Changer... But you know how those damn Canadians are...A bunch of bitchy little Rush fans...

Cost... I thought in todays market that was a fair price... Especially considering I checked with a bunch of others pre release and was told Fitty Bux was a fair price... Also, there is good bit of hand work involved in each gaff... Each one is individually laminated to prevent rust and cut to fit...

Bill version, oddly enough that was one of the more commented upon (favorably) variations especially by those of a mental bent... Write yer own joke at that point...

Video in 3 parts... Once again... I bowed to the will of thse who pretested it... They unanimously said it would be easier to find what they were looking for if it was broken up... Sigh....

The lack of screaming and etc... Once again I followed the wishes of those who viewed the original... "Be nice, Don't scare folx...Etc"...

As is normal with my products, there is more content that will be added to the site. I believe in giving value for money .

Well, I hope that answered all questions...

Enjoy...

Tony
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 12th, 2011, 5:55 pm

That is the best promo video ever. I love it. Rosie FTW

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 12th, 2011, 9:14 pm

The Switch fooled me. And not a happy, "wow" fooled, but a terrified, "the end is nigh" fooled.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Doomo

Postby Doomo » August 15th, 2011, 11:42 am

Oh yes... For those with who purchased The Switch, there are more videos going up in the next week to ten days...Enjoy...

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 2nd, 2011, 7:52 am

If you're in performance and have a paper cup, a small cardboard gift box, a card case, even a borrowed deck - you've pretty much set to go.

Bring a paperclip to the meeting and do a version of the Sankey trick that will leave them wondering.

;)

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » September 2nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

Doomo,

I like this thing of yours, a lot.

Got any left?

Guess I can log onto RFA and see. Lookin' forward to seeing you and your lovely bride in about a year.

KG

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 2nd, 2011, 12:55 pm

Kent, it might not look like a Kepplinger Holdout when you get the apparatus but it does the job... well. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Doomo

Postby Doomo » September 3rd, 2011, 3:34 pm

Howdy Kent, Jon... Actually. I am almost done with the second run... As the gaff has to be hand made it is a bit of a pain. But as the first run sold out quietly... Mostly in Europe and points east, I had to make a new run. So, yep I has em. My stuff isn't flashy... It just works...

http://rfaproductions.com/products/switch.html

is the link to look at it... It is pretty good iffin ya like that kinda shtuff...
Tony

www.rfaproductions.com

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 3rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

Listen to Tony. Kent, when you get this it'll occupy your mind and your practice for a good two weeks. It has many applications.

One could put together a darn good act using nothing more than RFA products.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » September 3rd, 2011, 5:00 pm

Considering that this video was recorded in the kitchen of Tony's human-trafficking stockyard and no shreiking or pleading was heard, I'd say that it is more than "pretty good". It is exemplary and possibly better than the product.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 4th, 2011, 12:41 am

I like Tony's casual videos.
Reminds me of how I felt reading the Ken Brooke instructions. That personal touch and some humor are light enough to get the ideas/handling across without so much personalization that a "you should" feeling sets limits on how one might explore using the items.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » September 4th, 2011, 9:05 pm

I especially like the rainbow-hued dust mop in the background.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » September 6th, 2011, 3:42 pm

That dust Mop" as you so casually refer to it bill... Is a valued family tradition. We keep it to announce the birth of intelligent MAK Magic customers... So far it is in pristine condition.

www.rfaproductions.com

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”