Ping by Jamie Daws

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Ping by Jamie Daws

Postby Tom Frame » February 21st, 2011, 2:55 pm

Ping (PDF) by Jamie Daws 4.99 / $8.10
15 pages, 29 photos
Available at: http://jamiedaws.co.uk/PINGBAND

Freud would be amused by our proclivity for thrusting objects into bottles while avoiding the traditional orifice. Heedless of the troubling psychological determinants of such behavior, Jamie Daws offers two novel, snappy versions of this effect.

The author does a passable job of teaching the material. The text contains numerous annoying typographical errors. Spell Check is no substitute for a competent proofreader.

Mr. Daws provides no credits.

The photos are glaring, but helpful

Ping: The performer wraps a rubber band around a clear, capped bottle of water. He shakes the bottle. The rubber band penetrates the bottle and floats inside.

This effect looks cool. Mr. Daws offers no presentation. Youll want to create one. Why are you wrapping a rubber hand around a bottle? Why does it penetrate the bottle? Why should we care?

The secret preparation takes about ten seconds. For this effect and the next one, you must be wearing a tasteless collection of rubber bands on your wrist.

The method for causing the rubber band to vanish from the external surface of the bottle is an application of Dan Harlans "Camouflage Principle". The author is going straight to Hell for failing to credit Mr. Harlan.

Despite this oversight, I like the effect.

Card Thru Bottle: A participant selects and signs a card. The performer tears off a corner of the card and hands the card to her. He places the corner against the side of a clear, capped bottle of water. He encircles the bottle with a rubber band to hold the corner in place.

The performer shakes the bottle and the rubber band penetrates it and floats inside. The performer hands the bottle to the participant and she discovers that the corner is now affixed to the inside wall of the bottle. She holds her card against the bottle and sees that the corner fits.

Click on the link above to view a demonstration video. In the video, the graphic states One Band. If that statement refers to the participants perception of the effect, it is accurate. If it refers to the method, it is inaccurate. Just so you know.

Mr. Daws offers no presentation.

An additional 30 seconds of preparation is required.

The manner in which the performer offers the card to the participant for signing is awkward, unnatural and likely to arouse suspicion. This bit of ugliness is easily remedied by eliminating the signing altogether. Its redundant. Theres no need for it, so leave it out. The torn corner procedure already serves as verification that the card is hers.

This is an impressive, visually startling effect. I like it.

Mr. Daws includes the following, unrelated bonus effect.

iPack: The performer introduces the iPack of cards, which possesses a number of features found on an iPhone. He turns the top card of the deck face-up. It is a small image Joker. To enlarge the image, he presses his fingers together and rests them against the Joker. He opens his fingers, causing the image of the Joker to enlarge. He turns the Joker face-down and tables it.

The performer turns the top card of the deck face-up, displaying a Six. To add new apps, he lifts the Six off the deck, twirls it and it transforms into a Ten. He turns the Ten face-down and tables it with the other card.

He turns the top card of the deck face-up, displaying the Ace of Spades. He turns it face-down. To copy, he presses its back. He deals the face-down Ace to the table with the other cards. To paste, he presses the back of the top card of the deck. He turns it face-up, revealing another Ace of Spades.

The performer turns the top card of the deck face-up. It is an indifferent card. To demonstrate the processing speed, he lifts the card, snaps it and it transforms into a Queen. He tables the Queen face-up next to the other cards.

To demonstrate the availability of updates, the performer uses the face-up Queen to turn the tabled cards face-up, revealing that they have transformed into Queens.

Theres a whole lot of magic going on here, clothed in an interesting presentation. I like it.

While I enjoy rubber band effects, wearing a roundup of wrist rubber is just not my style. So, while I dont plan to perform this effect, I like it nonetheless. Mr. Daws has crafted a fine piece of visual magic that will appeal to rubber wranglers.

Recommended

Dan Harlan

Re: Ping by Jamie Daws

Postby Dan Harlan » April 12th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Tom Frame wrote:The method for causing the rubber band to vanish from the external surface of the bottle is an application of Dan Harlans "Camouflage Principle". The author is going straight to Hell for failing to credit Mr. Harlan.

While this may not save Mr. Daws' soul, I feel I should mention that I did not invent the "Camouflage Principle." I merely applied it to rubber band magic, thus spawning the garish "fashion statement" to which you refer. I assume this has earned me a balmy location just overlooking the first level of purgatory.
--Dan Harlan
Check out my site for original magic! www.danharlanmagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2011, 11:39 pm

I think Mr. Frame got carried away by invective. No one deserves to be cast into the depths of Hades for missing a credit. For all we know, it was a case of innocent re-invention. Even if it wasn't, it could have been a simple mistake and not worth a visit to the home of el Diabolo.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 13th, 2011, 4:23 am

Isn't it Diablo? Diabolo is a Chinese/Victorian juggling toy...

I'll get my ticket to Heck.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

I'll use your testes for my next demonstration of the diabolo.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 13th, 2011, 11:44 am

Is there such a thing as a tasteful collection of rubber bands to wear on ones wrist?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”