Cards for "Gaffed to the Hilt"

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

Cards for "Gaffed to the Hilt"

Postby Kent Gunn » January 26th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Some of you may have seen the Jerry's Nugget backed sets of cards, made up for the England/Kaufman/Racherbaumer book, "Gaffed to the Hilt".

I bid on both sets. I didn't pay close enough attention and I really wanted a set in Tally-Hos. They're the cards I actually carry with me, wherever I go.

Since Don's email was available on eBay, I mustered up the courage and asked him if would make another set up for me, in Tally-Hos. They arrived today.

I made up two of the tricks on my own years ago. The Peek-a-Boo Changing Deck and Plastic Lady I. My versions weren't very good. I simply don't have Don's skills.

Don England will make up gaffs for you too! You can discuss the price you'll pay with him. I paid 225 for them.

1000 copies of the second edition of "Gaffed to the Hilt" were printed a mere 18 years ago. If you have one of those copies, that didn't have a set of gaffs, now is the time to email Don at:

DEng11@cs.com

I get nothing out of this deal. I'm damned glad to have a set made up for me. I paid $225 for my set and think I got a hell of a bargain. I have Don's mailing address on the envelope he mailed me. I don't feel I have the right to share it though. Dustin or one of the other moderators can beat me up over that later.

This isn't a review. Don England is easily the greatest thinker alive when it comes to gaffed effects with cards. I've no idea how long he intends to make card sets up.

If you have the book, it's value just went up.

KG

PS there's a set of blue Tallys on ebay right now for only 200 bucks. I bet it goes for more than that!

Jim Martin

Re: Cards for "Gaffed to the Hilt"

Postby Jim Martin » January 26th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Kent,

I agree with everything you've said. Don is one of the nicest people I've ever dealt with.

When you couple that with the amazing, crazy skills he brings to the quality of the final product, it is simply mind-blowing.

Here's a link to a current Buy It Now for 'Gaffed' in Tally Ho's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaffed-Hilt-set-Tal ... 2a0d983813

He also makes an amazing Hofzinser Card in Jerry's Nugget, of which I am a proud purchaser. (Click on the eBay link).

I also get nothing out of this deal, except connecting wise magicians to Don.

Viva Don England!
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Smurf

Postby Smurf » January 26th, 2011, 10:33 pm

I purchased a copy of the 2nd ed. Gaffed to the Hilt when Richard had his large book sale several months ago. Like Kent, I also had asked Don to make a set for me in Bicycle recently and he did so. You can see the material he makes and get his contact info on his website donengland.com. You won't find these cards there, but contact him personally if you are interested.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » January 26th, 2011, 10:55 pm

The correct email for Don is:

deng11@cs.com

I can't remember if email addresses are case-sensitive or not.

KG

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 27th, 2011, 7:32 am

Here's Mr. England's youtube channel to which he uploads material regularly: http://www.youtube.com/user/DonE6361

(He also graciously consented made me a set of GTTH cards in Bikes several years ago--I agree with everything that has been said--nice guy, great stuff!).

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 27th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Those who like the notion of Hofzinser's Transparent card may also like an item if Matieu Bich's where a card with a constellation of holes has the holes move to form the symbols for a couple of cards. I believe the item in his notes is called "Stars". :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 29th, 2011, 5:44 am

Don England is brilliant. I have a copy of the orifginal Gaffed to the Hilt with gaffs, and Mr. Kaufman gave me an additonal set of gaffs made up in Bicycle backs as well. I'd also recommend, if you can find it, Don's "Paradox",for which he also constructed gaffs. I edited the latter book.

Matt Field

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”