Soothsayer's Envelope by Rebecca Harris

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Soothsayer's Envelope by Rebecca Harris

Postby Tom Frame » November 4th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Soothsayers Envelope (Booklet) by Rebecca Harris $15.11
6 x 9, glossy covers, 36 pages, 2 illustrations
Available at: http://stores.lulu.com/pinkandfluffymagic

For many moons, mentalists have used secret markings to identify a target envelope from a group of envelopes. Imagine being able to locate a target envelope using unmarked, unprepared envelopes. Virtually any type of flapped envelope can be used. The envelopes can be borrowed and the performer need not touch them before using them. In the Soothsayers Envelope, Rebecca Harris teaches a method for accomplishing just that.

Miss Harris does an adequate job of teaching the material. The text contains a number of grammatical and typographical errors. These are merely annoying and they wont hinder your ability to understand the methods.

The author and her contributors use the Soothsayer principle to accomplish the following, familiar effects.

To Dream a Dream (Kenton Knepper): Several participants write the details of a nightmare on cards which they insert into envelopes. One participant writes the details of a pleasant dream on a card and inserts it into an envelope. A participant mixes the envelopes. The performer briefly places the envelopes behind his back. He brings forth one envelope and disposes of the others. He opens the envelope and hands the positive dream card to its owner.

Vibrations From the Other Side (Rebecca Harris & David Fowler): Five participants are each given an envelope and an index card. Four of them write the name of a living person on a card and insert it in an envelope. The fifth participant writes the name of a deceased person on a card and inserts it into an envelope. Another participant mixes the envelopes.

The performer tables the envelopes. He gives a participant a pendulum and asks her to act as a medium. The participant holds the pendulum over each envelope. It begins to swing back and forth over one envelope. A participant removes the card from the envelope and discovers that it bears the name of the deceased person.

Soothsayers Escape (Rebecca Harris): A participant is given a pair of handcuffs, seven keys and a stack of envelopes. She verifies that only one key will open the handcuffs. She places each key into an envelope and mixes them. The performer handcuffs himself. He picks up each envelope, concentrates on it and discards it, until only one envelope remains. The performer hands the envelope to the participant, who opens it and removes the key. She inserts the key into the lock and liberates the performer.

The Lost Fairies (Rebecca Harris): The performer displays five cards. Four of them bear images of cute, lovable fairies and one card depicts a spiteful pixie. The cards are placed into the envelopes and mixed by a participant. The performer tables the envelopes. A participant is given a magic bracelet. She and the performer collaborate to eliminate four of the envelopes. The participant opens the remaining envelope and finds the pixie.

ESP Sense (David Fowler): The performer displays five different ESP cards and inserts them into envelopes. A participant mixes the envelopes. Another participant freely selects an envelope, removes and remembers the card and replaces it in the envelope. This envelope is mixed in with the others. The performer sets aside one envelope, stating that it is the one selected by the participant. He correctly divines the identity of the card.

Basboosa (Rebecca Harris): The author shares her recipe for creating this Middle Eastern semolina cake.

After reading this booklet, the underlying principle seemed very familiar. My research into this its potential origin bore no fruit. So, when you have a question about mentalism, who you gonna call?

My thanks to Max Maven for informing me that this principle was published as "Dead or Alive" by Lord Amwell in Abra #848, in April 1962. Maven goes on to say, I would imagine that the idea is much older, given that the basic principle goes back to about 1750, and the standardized mass-produced envelope shows up around 1850.

I take no joy in breaking this news to Miss Harris. I can imagine her disappointment. I have no reason to suspect that she was aware of this principles provenance. This situation seems to be a case of independent invention, albeit 48 years too late.

It was Miss Harriss responsibility to diligently research the literature to ensure that she wasnt re-inventing the wheel. Unfortunately, she neglected to do so.

Ironically, Miss Harris thanks Kenton Knepper for encouraging her to produce and sell this booklet. Clearly, he didnt do his homework either. We must choose our supporters wisely.

I like this principle and I may use it. The effects are okay, in a pedestrian kind of way. But Im not merely reviewing the principle and the effects. Im reviewing the total product. And this product shouldnt have been produced.

Not Recommended

Bob Farmer

Re: Soothsayer's Envelope by Rebecca Harris

Postby Bob Farmer » November 4th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Kenton Knepper never does his homework.

Amirá

Re: Soothsayer's Envelope by Rebecca Harris

Postby Amirá » November 15th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Completely disagree with Mr. Frame review

Yeah, Credits can be forgotten but thats not the point(and IM SURE that she didn't know that in advance).No every performer check all the past material and check that his personal ideas are complete original.
With that thought in mind, no other creator could publish "new" material.

She gives in his booklet very nice ideas with that strategy that im sure that a lot of us will use.

Maybe she needs to talk and give her point now.
www.pabloamira.com

My Blog ( eBooks, Free Offerings and Ideas) : http://amirastuffs.blogspot.com/

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”