Provisions by Charlie Justice

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Provisions by Charlie Justice

Postby Tom Frame » June 18th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Provisions (Video download) by Charlie Justice $9.95
Running time: 40 minutes
Available at: www.jeffpiercemagic.com

Four years ago, Charlie Justice released his highly praised Folded Cap in Bottle DVD, Prohibition. In crafting the DVD, Mr. Justices primary goal was to provide detailed instructions for performing the basic Prohibition effect. And he succeeded admirably. But he withheld some tips and tweaks and variations.

He did so because the notion of spoon-feeding his viewers every single idea that he had developed over the years did not appeal to him. He didnt want them to merely passively consume the material and restrict themselves to performing the basic effect. Rather, he wanted his viewers to actually exercise their creativity and develop ideas of their own. Quite a shocking concept, isnt it? I commend his challenging, empowering stance.

Now that sufficient time has passed, Mr. Justice has decided to share that material, as well as other relevant ideas that have emerged over the ensuing years. And thus, Provisions was born.

Mr. Justice comes across as pleasant, comfortable and well prepared. He does a very good job of teaching the material and he dutifully provides appropriate crediting. The well produced video appears to have been shot at Mr. Justices secret compound, located somewhere in the balmy, gator-infested wilds of Florida.

Removing and Bending the Cap: Removing a bottle cap can dent it, which makes it difficult to bend. Mr. Justice teaches an effective method for removing the cap from the bottle without denting it.

Borrowed Bottle: You learn a quick, common-sense method for cleaning a borrowed bottle in order to prevent a potentially drippy, icky, sticky situation.

Bring Your Own Bottle: This segment describes how to remove the labels and adhesive from a bottle. Mr. Justice also recommends a commercially available item that covers your bottle and protects it from being damaged on the way to your gig.

Perfect H-----ts: The author recommends a commercially available item that serves as a nifty, covert device.

Increasing the Power: Mr. Justice offers an effective method for increasing the power of the primary Prohibition gimmick.

Using Other Items: This segment features a description of other items that the performer can slam inside of a bottle. The only item that appealed to me is one that emits a sound. I like the audible aspect and the fact that the performer can mute the item until it penetrates the bottle.

Instant Re-Do: This is a method for instantly repeating the penetration without using a second cap. I like it.

Signed Cap in Bottle: This handling allows the performer to cause a folded cap signed by a participant to penetrate the bottle. I like it.

Ninja Pinch: Prior to performing the penetration, the performer tosses the bent cap in the air and catches it. Mr. Justice asserts that this handling provides justification for the bent cap. I dont understand how tossing and catching the cap justifies its bent condition. I dont like it.

Ninja Stab: Prior to performing the penetration, the performer tosses the bent cap in the air and precisely stabs his index finger between the folded edges of the cap, causing it to stick to the end of his finger.

This cool stunt serves as a nice prelude to the main effect. Mr. Justice credits David Roths Karate Coin as his inspiration. I like it.

Coin Accomplice: The performer causes a coin signed by a participant to penetrate the bottom of a bottle.

A Canadian quarter or a coin possessing a certain property is required. You must use a bottle whose mouth is large enough to allow a coin to pass through. I like it.

Sobriety Test: The performer challenges a participant to drop the folded cap into the mouth of the bottle from progressively greater distances above the bottle. The participant finds this task to be increasingly difficult, especially if shes sloshed. The performer tosses the folded cap high into the air and precisely positions the bottle so that the cap falls through the neck of the bottle and lands inside.

This is a novel presentation. Theres something quite appealing about using magical methods to produce a purportedly non-magical effect. The effect appears to be a daunting display of hand-eye coordination, instead of a magic trick.

The method will require considerable practice, but the effect is worth it. I really like it.

Ninja Fold #1: Randi Rain gave Mr. Justice permission to include her method for preparing a cap prior to folding it, in order to facilitate unfolding it after its been inserted into a bottle. This technique allows the performer to cause an unfolded cap to penetrate a bottle.

The bottle cant be examined beforehand and the performer must make his appearance with the bottle in hand. Mr. Justice concedes that he doesnt use this method. Apart from Miss Rains clever method for unfolding the cap, theres nothing new here.

Ninja Fold #2: While experimenting with Miss Rains method for preparing a cap, Mr. Justice discovered that certain caps (including Classic Coke) possess a fortuitous design feature. This discovery led to the development of

Full Cap in Bottle: The performer demonstrates that only a folded cap is narrow enough to be inserted into a bottle. He pours out the folded cap and gets rid of it. He places an unfolded cap on his palm and slams the base of the bottle on it, causing the cap to penetrate the bottle and wind up inside.

Sweet bald-headed Buddha, this method is fantastic! Im cackling and squirming with delight just thinking about it! This is, far and away, the best version of Cap in Bottle that Ive ever seen. I love it!

If youre a happy owner of the original Prohibition DVD, you simply cannot live without Provisions. Buy it immediately!

Highly Recommended

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”