Outta Sight by Devin Knight

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Outta Sight by Devin Knight

Postby Tom Frame » April 5th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Outta Sight (Trick) by Devin Knight $19.95
14 pages, 7 photos, special Bicycle deck
Available at: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/outtasigh ... 10823.html
Dealers contact Murphys Magic Supplies, Inc. (916) 853-9292
www.murphysmagicsupplies.com

Way back in 1908, before some of you were born, the December issue of the Sphinx contained Ted Delands advertisement for the Peerless Monte Cristo Cards by Henry Hardin. After showing that all of the cards were different, the performer snapped a rubber band around the deck and handed it to a participant. The participant pulled the deck open and peeked at a card, which the performer correctly divined.

In 1963, David Hoy released The Bold and Subtle Miracles of Dr. Faust, which featured his Tossed-Out Deck. Hoy improved Hardins effect by utilizing a brilliant psychological swindle that created the perception that several participants peeked at different cards, which the performer correctly identified. The special deck was designed by Persi Diaconis.

Since then, Ed Marlo, Ron Wilson, Max Maven, David Ben and others have offered notable variations of this effect.

And now up steps Devin Knight with this very impressive version of this classic effect. Click on the link above to watch Mr. Knights performance.

By cleverly combining two well known principles, Mr. Knight has created a delightfully diabolical deck. One key condition sets this deck apart from its predecessors. Prior to the performance, a participant can shuffle and spread through the deck to affirm that the cards are different and well mixed! This feature marks a significant improvement over most other versions.

As soon as I got my hands on this deck, I roughly and recklessly spread through it in an effort to reveal its secret workings. I was pleased to discover that the work will not allow itself to be discovered without putting up a fight.

Despite my initial optimism, prior to performing this effect, I was dangerously anxious when I handed the deck to a participant for shuffling and inspection. When she failed to discover the dirty little secret, it was all I could do to refrain from cackling and fondling myself.

Mr. Knight writes well and does a very thorough job of teaching the handling, including the important psychological nuances. He includes his effective performance script.

As a bonus, Mr. Knight includes Ormond McGills non-gaffed Tossed-Out Deck. The method behind this version pisses me off and scares the hell out of me! I would never consider performing it. The method requires the performer to have a commanding stage persona and guts galore. He must be willing to intimidate the participants and make them feel very anxious. He must feel comfortable telling the participants that if the effect fails, its their fault. Im not that guy. And the effect isnt 100% foolproof. I dont like it.

Mr. Knight teaches his technique, as well as techniques by Al Mann, Mel Strouse and Karl Fulves, to make McGills version feel more authentic to the participants. These are good ideas, but they dont diminish the participants anxiety. I still dont like it.

But I really like Outta Sight. The effect packs small and plays huge. The deck is well-crafted and works like a charm. And its a gas to let a participant play with a gaffed deck, knowing that they will be blissfully unaware of any chicanery.

Highly Recommended

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”