The Pass Pro-Torial by Jonathan Kamm

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

The Pass Pro-Torial by Jonathan Kamm

Postby Kent Gunn » March 9th, 2010, 2:12 pm

You can see the teaser video here;

http://www.youtube.com/user/kammagic#p/ ... rHbQCOAB-M

You can send Jonathan Kamm $17.50 via PayPal here to get his video explanation;

http://web.me.com/jonathankamm/kammagic ... orial.html

Review;

Let me preface this with a bunch of things.

1. I've seen Jonathan perform, at a steakhouse in Chicago. He used this pass in front of laypeople and one magician. I was the magician. Live, in front of folks, he is as good with his iteration of the riffle pass as anyone I've ever seen.

2. Jonathan works as a close-up magician. I think that is a completely unfair advantage on his part.

3. He uses some teaching techniques that some other folks feel are their proprietary tools. I'll let other folks comment on that.

On to the review.

For 17.50 you get Jonathan's take on the classic/riffle pass. His riffling action is very subtle. It is barely a riffle pass. If you are trying to learn this pass and have little or no background, get this video. Mr. Kamm discusses the mechanics well. He had some tips about finger usage and placement that will help many trying to learn this difficult sleight.

If you are an Erdnase aficionado and have your own handling that works, Jonathan's video may not be up to your standards. He does the pass differently than discussed in EATCT. I suspect Jonathan has morphed this move in his own hands over the years. I don't know his starting point. It was not EATCT, most likely.

For the ultra-purists, this is derivative stuff.

For those who don't just theorize, for those who want to see how a working pro eats and breathes the pass. Get the stinkin' video. You'll probably get at least one pointer that will help. I know I did. Some card-dudes better than me have raved about Jon's work.

The discussion as to which variant of the pass is best is puerile. I don't use a riffle or classic pass in my tricks. I'm more a free-turn or top-card cover kinda guy. I learned some things from the video nonetheless.

I don't think Jon has the best pass in the world. I do know does a classic/riffle pass as well as anyone I've ever seen.

What remains true after you watch the video.

It's going to take you a hell of a long time to get this thing up to speed. It is an instant download with a lifetime of work.

I recommend this video pretty goddamn highly.

KG
Last edited by Kent Gunn on March 9th, 2010, 2:14 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: pulled some swear words

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”