Reflection by Bill Goodwin

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Reflection by Bill Goodwin

Postby Tom Frame » December 17th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Reflection (DVD) by Bill Goodwin $39.95
Running time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
Available at: http://www.dananddave.com
Dealers contact Murphys Magic Supplies, Inc. (916) 853-9292
http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com

Unless youve been living in an isolation chamber for the past 20 years, you are well aware that Bill Goodwin is one of the finest card magicians on the planet. He is creative, has superb chops and is a scholarly student of card magics history. He has the enviable, kid-in-the-candy-store position of Magic Castle librarian. With Gordon Bean, he edits and publishes the marvelous Penumbra.

In this DVD, Mr. Goodwin teaches a number of his pet effects that have served him well for many years. He is well prepared, relaxed and he does a very good job of teaching this material. He diligently provides attribution for all of the effects.

The DVD boasts first class production values. It was shot in high definition with multiple cameras and is well edited. In addition to shots from the crowds perspective, you can also view the handlings from the performers point of view. This is a very helpful feature.

A nine page companion booklet written by Mr. Goodwin is included. It cites the history and credits of the sleights and effects taught on the DVD. This is a very informative booklet and provides much additional value.

All of the following effects require an intermediate to advanced level of technical proficiency. And they are worth it!

Oxnard Split: This is Mr. Goodwins excellent handling of Paul Harriss Las Vegas Split. The performer displays a Four and tears it into two Twos. He then splits the Twos into the four Aces.

This is a great opener and in Mr. Goodwins hands, the effect looks like trick photography. I love it.

One Off: A participant chooses a card, say the Two of Clubs, and returns it to the deck. The performer locates the Three of Clubs. When the participant informs him that he is off by one, the performer splits the card into two cards, revealing the Two of Clubs.

This is an effective, visual approach to the magician in trouble plot. Mr. Goodwins use of Herb Zarrows Flicker Again sleight is an inspired choice. I like it.

Off Balance Transposition: An indifferent card is inserted into the center of the deck. The four Aces are placed onto top of the deck. Instantly, the indifferent card appears on top of the deck and the Aces are revealed, reversed, in the center of the deck. This phase is repeated. Then the reversed Aces are left in the center of the deck and the indifferent card is held face-down at the fingertips. The performer strokes the indifferent card and it transforms into the four Aces. The indifferent card is revealed in the center of the deck.

This is a fantastic multi-phase effect that should cause the crowds eyeballs to pop out on stalks like a mob of crustaceans. I really like it.

The Paint Brush Change: Mr. Goodwin offers detailed instruction on Roy Waltons stunning card change. Dont confuse this sleight with that other Paint Brush Change that involves sliding one card down the face of another card. This transformation occurs while the performer is holding the card between his hands. Its a testament to Mr. Goodwins technical prowess that he seems to merely flex the card to cause it to change. It looks terrific and I really like it.

Double Lift Unload: Mr. Goodwin teaches how to use the Paint Brush Change to unload one card of a double onto the deck. If you can master this technique, youll never execute a double turnover again. Thanks to the smooth handling, the crowd will believe that the card never came in contact with the deck. I really like it.

About Face: In this quickie, the Paint Brush Change is employed to cause a face-down card to turn face-up as the performer strokes it. There is a whole lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that make this effect possible. While Im impressed with the thinking that went into the creation of this effect, I consider this too much work for the meager payoff of simply reversing a card. But move monkeys will dig it.

Twisting the Kings: This is Mr. Goodwins clever handling of Vernons classic Twisting the Aces. The effect concludes with all of the Kings turning over simultaneously.

The author has seamlessly combined several different methods to produce this lovely effect. He has done the Professor proud. I really like it.

The Mirage Trick: Using only two cards, the performer creates a mirage of a third card sandwiched between them. A card is selected and lost in the deck. The selection is produced between the two cards and then vanishes, suggesting that its appearance was only a mirage.

Mr. Goodwin took an optical illusion discovered by Racherbaumer and Krenzel and expanded it into this cool effect that will cause the crowd to question their perceptions. I like it.

A Bluff Pass: Mr. Goodwin teaches a wonderful handling that increases the effectiveness of a Bluff Pass. This delightful tweak creates a visual image that dramatically increases the crowds conviction that their card was placed in the center of the deck. I really like it.

Spectator Cuts to the Aces: I watched the performance of this version of the classic effect a half dozen times and I still couldnt figure out when Mr. Goodwin was doing the dirty work. As I watched the explanation, I grinned from ear to ear and squirmed with delight.

The dirty work occurs in plain sight, but because it takes place in the course of a normal motion, it is undetectable! I love this effect! This diabolical technique can be applied to numerous other effects. It is employed in the following two effects.

Mistaken Sandwich: Two red Deuces are displayed and squared. A card, say the Four of Spades, is lost in the deck. The performer waves the Deuces over the deck and the King of Diamonds appears sandwiched between them. One of the Deuces is slid over the face of the King, causing it to transform into the Four of Spades. The Deuces and the Four are immediately tossed onto the table for examination.

Being able to carelessly toss the three cards onto the table at the conclusion of the effect is very disarming. The aforementioned diabolical technique allows you to end squeaky clean. I like it.

Reciprocity: Four Kings instantly transpose with the four Aces and you are left clean.

This is Mr. Goodwins visually stunning version of Jim Swain and Geoff Lattas Preset. I prefer this version over the original because only eight cards are used. At the conclusion of the effect, the crowd will want to examine the cards and they can do so until the cows come home. I really like it.

He offers an alternate handling that I dont like as well because you cant flash a King on the face of the packet prior to the transposition.

Hold the Mayo: The four Aces are produced one at a time from between two Jokers.

This is a delightful effect that would serve as an ideal opener. I really like it.

Mr. Goodwin offers an alternate handling in which the Jokers transform into the final two Aces. I dont like this version as much because you end dirty.

This DVD sets a high water mark in terms of the quality of material, level of instruction and production values. All DVDs should provide this much bang for your buck. I applaud Mr. Goodwin and the Buck brothers for creating the best product that I ever reviewed on this forum.

Highest Recommendation

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Reflection by Bill Goodwin

Postby Joe Mckay » December 17th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Great Review. Great DVD!

Joe

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 17th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Thanks, Joe. It was a labor of love.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 18th, 2009, 8:18 am

This is an important, exciting and much anticipated DVD. I am surprised it wasn't reviewed in the magazine. I am guessing it won't be since the stuff that get's reviewed in this section is the stuff that can't be fitted into the magazine. Right?

Anyway - once again - great job, Tom!

Joe

PS I mentioned this before but my favourite items were the sneaky twist for the Bluff Pass and the incredible handling for the Paintbrush Change. The Cutting The Aces ruse is very strong as well...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 18th, 2009, 9:38 am

Never assume you know the reasons for things when you're not running the business yourself.

We have not been sent the DVD for review.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 18th, 2009, 9:56 am

Hi Tom, how much of this were you able to learn and how much of what you learned were you able to apply to your magic? If something was not applicable - how so?

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » December 18th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Jonathan,

Thanks to Bills detailed teaching, I was able to learn all of the material. I imagine that anyone else with an intermediate level of technical proficiency will find the material relatively easy to learn. By learning, I mean understanding and memorizing the methodological steps that create the effect.

But learning the material is not synonymous with devoting weeks or months of practice to mastering the material in order to make it performance-ready. Its up to each individual to decide if they like a given item enough to give it the practice it deserves and requires.

The sleights that I am currently practicing in order to apply to effects already in my repertoire are the Paint Brush Change, the Bluff Pass finesse and the diabolical technique used in Spectator Cuts to the Aces.

The effects that I plan to practice to potentially add to my repertoire are Oxnard Split, Off Balance Transposition, Spectator Cuts to the Aces, Reciprocity and Hold the Mayo.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » December 18th, 2009, 12:58 pm

You can also get this directly from Bill, here:

www.billgoodwinmagic.com

That way Bill can sign it for you, and what the heck, you might as well pick up Penumbra Eleven while you're there.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » December 25th, 2009, 3:59 pm

This is an excellent DVD on the card magic of Bill Goodwin. As many have mentioned before, the teaching is fantastic and the quality of the production is great. When Bill does Roy Walton's Paint Brush Change, it looks like pure magic in his hands. My favorite routines on the DVD are The Oxnard Split, Twisting the Kings, The Mirage Trick, and One Off. Anyone interested in sleight of hand card magic should get this!

Roberto

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”