5 for £5: Kids by Oliver Meech

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

5 for £5: Kids by Oliver Meech

Postby Tom Frame » July 7th, 2009, 9:09 pm

5 for 5: Kids (E-book) by Oliver Meech 5 / $7.02
19 pages
Available at: http://www.olivermeech.co.uk

Fronkey: The performer tables a box containing an unseen stuffed animal. Two kids each choose a half card from a deck of animal flash cards that has been cut in half. The performer claims that the half cards will match and will represent the animal in the box.

Sadly, the half cards dont match. One half is a frog and the other half is a monkey. The performer removes the animal from the box. It is a mutant - half frog, half monkey.

This is Mr. Meechs beastly version of the Split Thought card effect. Other than being cut in half, the animal flash cards are unprepared. Obviously, youll need to dismember two beloved stuffed animals and sew the bits back together to create the mutant critter.

Mr. Meech includes Chris Christos scripted presentation. He has the kids shout out the names of the various animals and the sounds they make, and suggest names for the mutant creature. Its boisterous barnyard fun for everyone. I like it.

Achoo: Mr. Meech advises, Dont perform this trick. Its gross. Unless, that is, youre performing for kids who are going through the disgusting phase. Perform it for them and youll achieve instant hero status.

The performer sneezes into a handkerchief and his snot resembles a selected card.

Memorable mucus magic! Yes, its repellant, repugnant, revolting and vile and Im ashamed to admit that my profoundly disturbed inner child likes it. Gesundheit.

MmmLaces: The performer eats the middle from a strawberry shoelace then restores it.

Prior to reading this effect, I had never heard of a strawberry shoelace. Where have I been?

This is Mr. Meechs noshing version of the cut and restored rope that employs a very well known gimmick. The obvious benefit of using an edible shoelace instead of a rope is that instead of ditching the dirty work, you simply eat it. I like it.

Well, Blow Me (Adapted): Now there's a winning name for a kid's trick!

In less than 30 seconds, the performer attempts to divine an animal selected from a deck of animal flash cards. A kid is asked to blow a party blower when the time expires. The magician seemingly fails. However, when the party blower unfurls, a drawing of the selected animal is revealed on it.

The author suggests enhancing the fun by calling out the names of obscure animals or by acting out the animals. These are good ideas.

Mr. Meech and Mr. Christos offer good strategies to occupy the kid so that he doesnt prematurely blow the party blower and blow the climax. Or words to that effect.

The image of the animal is, by necessity, very small and will be difficult for the kids to see unless they are close by. This will be a limiting factor.

The author doesnt mention it, but Id also have my contact information printed on the blower. Let the kid keep the party blower. Hell show it to his friends and theyll tell their parents. This could generate future gigs. I like it.

Lego Go Go: The performer dumps loose pieces of a Lego model into a handkerchief. He hands the gathered handkerchief to a kid who shakes it and gives it back to the performer. Upon opening the handkerchief, the model is seen to be assembled.

A Devils Hank makes the magic. The effect is quick, easy to understand and should appeal to the kiddies. I like it.

While these effects arent earth-shattering, they invite lots of audience participation, and they should entertain and mystify the younguns.

Recommended.

oliver m

Re: 5 for £5: Kids by Oliver Meech

Postby oliver m » July 14th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Thank you for your kind words and thorough review!
Oliver Meech
www.olivermeech.com

oliver m

Postby oliver m » July 29th, 2009, 7:25 am

Here are some other reviews of the ebooks, in case people are interested:

Magicbunny:
http://magicbunny.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 18&t=45199

The Magicians Arms:
http://themagiciansarms.forumotion.net/ ... s-t110.htm

There's also a good review in the August issue of The Magic Circular.
Oliver Meech

www.olivermeech.com

Elliott B

Postby Elliott B » September 22nd, 2009, 6:42 pm

Thank you for the review.

The "Achoo" presentation really appeals to me, as I envision that it would play well for the intended audience. I'll probably order a copy soon.

Elliott

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”