Paul Harris: True Astonishments

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 23rd, 2009, 5:29 am

Because this set of nine discs is so remarkable, it was decided that an in depth review would be dedicated to it. To do that, we have to post my review of it here on the Genii Forum instead of in the pages of Genii where space is a consideration.

Dustin Stinett

Paul Harris and various artists
$300 (9-disc set)

For over three decades, Paul Harris has been at the forefront of close-up magic. His enthusiastic fan-base includes generations of magicians who were not yet born when Mr. Harris made his first big splash in the mid-1970s. His legacy as a true icon of close-up magic was established long before this remarkable collectionwhich some might hold up as his masterpiecewas even conceived.

I will not put this amazing set of discs on that high of a pedestal. This is because we do not get to see, in the main collection of items, Paul Harris perform. Those readers lucky enough to have seen this man in a live performance will know what I mean. What is available on video doesnt do him justice. His boyish charm and quirky wit coupled with his outstanding magic was an experience many will never forget, and many didnt want to follow!

Even though the last decade has seen little output from him personallyand his reclusive ways have often been fodder for discussionhe has been busy: He has been consulting with current stars of magic and searching out new ones; successfully so in many cases. His stamp of approval doesnt come easy.

The appearance of this set of discsheld in a stunning wood box that is a fine addition to any home dcorimplies not only masterpiece but perhaps even swansong; his crowning achievement. I suspectand indeed hopethat this is not the case. True creative artists tend to have restless souls that require an outlet. It is my belief that this is just the outlet for a decade of work that until now had none. I believe that there will be more to come.

True Astonishments (TA) is not just new material as that second to last sentence might imply. There are improvements to pieces that date back to his earliest work. Thats one of the great things about magical technique and effects; they invite constant scrutiny and refinement.

These discs also feature the work of some of Paul Harris friends; new and old alike. The close-up magic on these discs are as diverse as these artists. Its an old clich, but there is something here for everyone who enjoys close-up. Working professionals will find items to add to their repertoires. People who enjoy situational magiceffects that are organic and seem like the effect couldnt happen anywhere else or timewill find items that will fulfill this unusual requirement. And hobbyists will have enough new stuff to try out on their family and friends who are always asking to see your new trick for months to come.

There are 42 main menu items. While this may sound low for a nine-disc set, rest assured that with an additional 44 Secret Cookies (Easter Eggs) spread throughout these discs, the number of itemsor timeis not an issue. There is a lot of stuff here.

Of those 44 Cookies, 24 of them are tricks (or specialty items as I will detail later). The other 20 are interviews that vary in time as well as subjects. These are a fantastic addition to this project and when you couple the material with the theory, personality profiles, and storytelling, this project is a complete magical journey: An all encompassing cruise into the realm of Astonishment.

To Paul Harris Astonishment is more than just a noun found within a sentence (hence my capitalization of the word). It is more than just an emotionthough that is certainly an aspect he embraces. To Paul Harris, Astonishment is a place where a persons mind can go given the proper stimulation. And this place is indeed a safe harbor, where the cares of the day and even the world vanish if only for a moment. But no matter how short, it is a momenta placeto be relished and remembered forever.

Can magic really be that strong? Yes, it can. I have been there and I have little doubt that many reading this have as well. Theres little else like it in the world. And this set of discs contains material that is that strong if the performer stays out of the way and allows it to be. But even if this not the cup of tea for you dear reader, worry not for most of this magic also lends itself to adaptation to your personal style and you can still elicit the response you desire. Put simply, there are a lot of great tricks here.

The production values on this projectspecifically the new material (there is some Vintage PH Video to be discovered in the Secret Cookies)are exceptional. The creative team that put this together, led by Executive Producer Chuck Martinez, Producer Paul Harris, and Producer Director Justin Bro Gilbert is large and I beg you to please indulge me as I list them all, for they deserve a shout out for their efforts:

Piet Suess, Dylan Akio Smaith, Marlin, Michael Gattanella, Andrew Macleod, Arian James Gilbert, Rodney Reyes, John Tenbear Thompson, Janet Harris, Alexander Slemmer, Tony McLaren, Pete McCabe, Sarah Gilbert, and Tim Trono.

Of the production values I have only two quibbles and include them only for the sake of completeness. There is no Play All function and returning to the main and sub-menus time and again became tiresome. And there is a nearly five-minute opening trailer on every disc. While on occasion this has a functional reason (think Cookie), I would have preferred that this piece have been sequestered on the first disc, or a truncated version be substituted on subsequent discs.

The demonstrations include live performances in various public spots: Restaurants, bars, the beach, and parks. There are also some studio demonstrations, but these almost always accompany the explanation segment.

The majority of the explanations are done without a voiceover track. This is a style that is gaining favor and it works well here. There is always accompanying on screen text where needed. These silent (save for the music) explanations are crystal clear. And there are many items explained where the performer talks you through the effect. This breaks up what could have been a monotonous experience on a nine disc set.

Every Main Menu item also has a Phootnote that comes with it. This is where Mr. Harris makes his appearance on every item. Sometimes he just credits the originator or covers the provenance of each item giving credit where due (the overall crediting on this project is superb). There are also times when he adds invaluable advice for the performance of the piece. Sometimes hes just being silly and sometimes its a combination of some or all four of these. Rest assured Paul Harris (PH) fans: Even though hes not performing, you get plenty of PH face time in this set.

Many of the PH creations are performed and explained by Bro Gilbert though there are some guest performers. (If I do not specify who performed a PH effect, it was Bro.) And several of those who contributed their material to the project pull their own duty in these regards.

Each disc also has a complete interactive index of the entire set. This does come in handy at times (think Cookie again). This index not only tells you the main content items, but also how many Secret Cookies there are and, if Im not mistaken, a very subtle clue to where they are found. There is an error on the Disc Five index. It shows only four Cookies. There are in fact five Cookies on Disc Five. This same error is on Disc Nine, but this may have been done by design since this fifth and final Cookie is a bear to find. I found all but this one with no outside help. If I can find these, pretty much anyone can. But that last one did require some help. I never would have found it on my own.

The beautiful wooden boxdesigned and crafted by Mark Allenhas a TA/PH logo that appears to be just inlayed into the lid. This is, in fact, the locking mechanism. The discs rest inside a rack that fits into the bottom of the box. The rack can be lifted out so the box can be used for whatever your heart desires while the discs rest in their rack on your shelf. (I have it on good authority that when these wood boxes are gone, they will be replaced by a Ben Harris designed cardboard box that is also a Gozinta Box.) Each disc comes in its own sturdy two-fold case that is nicely illustrated, has the production credits as well as the disc contents (Main Menu items). And dont miss the quotations that may be found under the disc compartment.

Along with the box and discs is a burlap bag filled with the various gaffs and other special items the buyer will need to perform some of the effects in the set. I cannot place a specific price on all this stuff, but given that just one of them is a very specially gaffed pen, the price of this stuff alone must be pushing the $100 mark. Some of these items, by their nature, are disposable. As of this writing, there is no word on refills, but I know it is being addressed.

ONE

The first disc has five Main Menu items and five Secret Cookies. After PHs introduction, where we learn about the history of the project, the magic opens with PHs Twilight Angels performed by Wayne Houchin. This was a marketed item that, apparently, didnt score too well. I cannot imagine why; its a fine piece of typical topographic PH magic where, on a signed selection, one of the bike-riding angels on the back of a standard Bicycle card disappears then reappears next to the other one. There are two superbly constructed versions of this that will fool people and leaves them with an unusual souvenir to remember the experience. (A few of these specially printed cards are included.)

Backlash 2 is another PH effect (the original appeared in The Art of Astonishment (AoA): Book 1). This is a new version with additional work from Bro Gilbert. A spectator signs the front and back of a card and in is cleanly placed into the performers pocket. With empty hands, the performer spreads the cards to show that the card has reappeared in the deckthe signature clearly seen. The card then vanishes from the deck and reappears in the pocket (the spectator can remove it). As a kicker, the spectators signature magically morphs into the magicians. There is no palming whatsoever in this piece making it very easy to do.

New Leaf is a PH/Bro Gilbert trick that nature buffs will enjoy. A torn leaf magically heals in the spectators hands. Just remember to use your powers for good and not evil.

Many of us have probably played with the Bob Koch gaffed trick Zapped where a poker handa measly pairis flipped with the thumb and it visibly changes to a Royal Flush. Chengs Change by Cheng Lin is a non-gaffed (sleight-of-hand) version of this effect. This item is performed and explained by its creator. (R. Paul Wilson has some work on this as well by the way.)

The Big Tiny is a PH piece based on Michael Ewers Faro Plot (Genii magazine, November 1973). The name of a spectator is written in large block letters on the long edge of the deck. The deck is shuffled (not a faro) and further mixed into four random piles by the volunteer. One pile is freely selected and as the pile is squared, the name appears on this small block of cards. The remaining three piles also have the name clearly imprinted on their edges. This is a nice piece of personalized magic that automatically engages your volunteer. Its a little heavy on procedure (spectator dealing), so remember to use this time wisely so folks dont nod off on you.

The Secret Cookies on this disc include a PH version of Robert Neales Bunny Bill called Butchered Bunny. Its an easierbut not as animatedversion of Mr. Neales remarkable origami fold. Son of Cellophane Surprise is a Daniel Garcia item using a cigarette pack that is performed and explained by this talented young man. Jeffs Jump is a Jeff McBride bit of playing card eye candy that is performed and explained by Joe Kahn (this item first appeared in Harry Loraynes May 1979 issue of Apocalypse). Part One of a David Blaine interview is next followed by the first part of the PH interviews taken from a LVMI convention.

TWO

Disc Two has five Main items and four Cookies.

LVL$ is a new version of PHs classic Las Vegas Leaper (a no-palm Cards Across plot that originally appeared in Las Vegas Close-up) that finishes with a cash surprise for the volunteer. This takes a card trick and gives it a hook that just about everyone will takealong with the line, the sinker, and even the cash.

Tubular is a new PH item that is performed by Matthew Johnson. Two signed bills (one borrowed) are signedone by the performer the other by the spectator. These two bills are rolled up separately, but when put together, they fuse into a single bill with both signatures on it.

Cheng Lin returns with his performance and explanation of his Chengs Riser. This is based on Ray Kosbys Raise Rise wherein a card, protruding out from the front of the deck, is seen to rise to the top. There are some elements by Lin Searles and Martin Gardner (credited) and it is also noted that Peter Eggink published a similar version, but these two versions were created independently.

SS2 is a refined version of PHs Seductive Switch (Close-up Seductions). An ace is folded and switched for a six in a bad hand of blackjack. Not only do the cards switch, but the ace has no fold marks. No extra cards are used for this terrific trick.

Tomoyuki Shimomuras Growing Card is a visual piece of magic where a selected card visibly grows in width and length while sandwiched between two other freely selected cards. Performed and explained by Robert Smith (the free selection component is his contribution to the effect) does require one of the special gaffs included in the set, but it should be good for many performances.

The Cookies include a Vintage PH Video performance (from the Stars of Magic videos) of his classic Bizarre Twist (originally published in Intimate Secrets and the one-handed twistCros Twist by Daniel Croswas in Las Vegas Close-up). Another piece from that video series is his Immaculate Breakthrough. Rhadha Thombre shares a barebones explanation of Joshua Quinns impossible looking Conjunction. The last Cookie is an interview with longtime PH collaborator Chuck Martinez (who must have a portrait in his attic that is experiencing the aging process, because he sure doesnt appear to be). A note to Dwight Dunaway (the talented artist who did the great cartoon art in the Martinez published PH books): Chuck and Paul are looking for you!

THREE

Disc Three features five each of Main Menu and Secret Cookie items.

Bro Gilbert performs Casanova, Inc. (Steven Haynes), a transposition effect using initialed business cards (the performer and the spectator). There is also a quick ambitious sequence that leads up to the surprise finish (a shorter version, Casanova Quickie which is sans ambition, is also explained).

Halfmoon Trading Co. is a new PH effect that is fantastic. A freely selected cardon the back of which the volunteer imagines writing his/her name or initialsvanishes from the deck only to appear in the box. The persons name is found written on the back of the card. There is no palming and no thumb-writer involved.

Halfmoon Voodoo is a Guy Hollingworth three phase card routine (based on a Steranko plot from Steranko on Cards) performed by Bro Gilbert. A freely selected cards mate initially turns face up in the deck; it is left in the deck which is squared. A corner is torn off the original selection and the deck is re-spread showing that the corner now missing from the mate. The mate is held in a spectators hand while the magician draws a simple picture on the back of the selection. The spectator turns over the mate and it too has the drawing on its back. (This should not be confused with The Voodoo Card from AoA: Book 3. While similar in effect, the base methodology is different.)

Pack of Lies is a Bro Gilbert improvement on the PH Vanishing Deck effect. The pack is clearly placed into a volunteers pocket. The performer demonstrates an attempt at pick pocketing. He removes two cards, but is unsuccessful in that he was seen and felt doing it. A moment later, however, the entire deck is missing from the spectators pocket.

Solid (with Happy Ending) wins for best trick name and it is also a pretty good trick. Its a PH effectloosely based on his Solid Deception (Intimate Secrets)where in a half deck turns into a solid block. The happy ending happens when the block become loose again.

The first of the five Cookies is a clip of Looy Simonoff sharing a story about a young Paul Harris in a Las Vegas restaurant. Another Vintage PH Video piece is Overkill (Close-up Fantasies: Book I). The first section of a great interview with Eric Mead is next followed by Chris Randall teaching the classic Rose napkin fold. Finally, Jason England demonstrates his truly remarkable Card Mucking prowess.

FOUR

The forth disc in the set has five Main items and six Cookies.

Dr. Fun is another new PH piece that is a drop-dead easy yet mind-blowing ESP piece that has the power of eliciting a major response. The performer writes a prediction on the face of a playing card; signs its back and sets it down. He then asks the spectator to recall a happy place and time and describe it. He draws a picture representing this memory on the face of another card and has the spectator sign its back. This is set down as well. When the prediction is revealed, the prediction is a key word from the memory.

Name Dropper is a personalized effect from PH (when I say personalized, I mean personalized to the volunteer). The performer writes the first initial of a spectators first name on the back of a playing card. He takes a group of cards (which have been seen front and back) and one at a time rubs these cards against the first card. Once done the cards are revealed to show that each one has the other letters of the name, thus spelling it out.

Lubor Fiedler is a magical genius whose outside the box thinking has created some of the most brilliant, visual magic extent. Lubors Lens is a collection of effects using this special piece of equipmenta simple piece of semi-transparent plasticthat is included in the set. (Bro Gilbert came up with a very good idea to make this odd thing seem quite logical.) The basic effectwhich ideally is done for only one personis that items like a pen is first seen to partially disappear as it lays on the volunteers hand. The ends of the pen are visible, but the middle vanishes and the fingers are clearly visible where the pen wasall this is while the person is looking through the lens, which is held by the performer. It then is twisted and the pen is shown to now be really twisted in the middle. A similar effect is one using a drinking straw that ends up being tied in a knot.

Naked Strange, another unpublished PH item, is a super easy card across effect but this time a merely thought of card is the one that makes the trip from one packet to the other. While technically easy, there is some audience management skill needed for this effect. However, if properly handled, it is a near miracle.

Andrew Gerard performs and explains his addition to Roy Waltons Card Warp, Stapled Warp. The name gives you a clue: The warp card is stapled in such a way as to make the warp seem even more impossible.

The Cookies include two different versions of Chad Longs terrific Shuffling Lesson. One is Wayne Houchins and the second is Jeff McBrides. The third Cookie is the second part of the Eric Mead interview. Sylvain Miroufs fantastic Osmosis linking card trick is performed and explained in great detail by Alexander Slemmer. We are again treated to a piece of Vintage PH Video where he performs and explains Unshuffling Rebecca (AoA: Book 1). And finally we are treated to the second part of the PH interview from the LVMI event.

FIVE

Disc Five has four Main Menu items and five Secret Cookies.

Transcendental Bar Bet is my least favorite item in this entire collectionand its not horrible. Its just a little too procedure heavy for my tastes. Its a very long way to go to make it look like a card visibly vanishes (or changes, which is what it looks like to me).

On the other hand, Extraordinary Proof by Andrew Gerard might be my favorite card item in this set. Its unbelievably easy from a technical aspect (so easy that PH says he didnt think it would fool anyone at first), but it packs the wallop of impossibility. I have already had great success with this trick, which is a simple prediction of which card a spectator will deal to.

Longtime PH collaborator Patrick Snowden shares his Tensegrity which was widely overlooked when originally published in AoA: Book 2 (guilty as charged here). Its an impossible, gravity defying feat of balancing that must be seen to be appreciated. Here he explains at great length (about a half an hour) the basic idea and then reveals his further explorations with his principle.

Reswindled is Caleb Wiles version of the PH classic Re-Set (Super Magic) which finds its roots in Bro. John Hammans Underground Transposition (The Secrets of Brother John Hamman). Performed by Bro Gilbert and explained by Mr. Wiles, this versionwhich PH highly toutsadds a logical premise along with an unexpected kicker.

The Tap Dancing Aces is the first Cookie on this disc (a Vintage PH Video piece). This trick has an interesting history that is worth mentioning. It started as a not so good trick titled The Phantom in The Magic of Paul Harris. It was refined by PH and published as La Las Lu Lu in Intimate Secrets. Further work by PH led to The Incredible Tap Dancing Aces making its first appearance in Las Vegas Close-up. It was tweaked a little more and published in Michael Ammars PH special issue of Magical Arts Journal. This is where it finally settled on its current, shortened, title.

The next Cookie is PHs Bizzare Ad Shrink, another Vintage PH Video piece. The gaffs needed for this item are included. A live stage performance of PHs Fizz-Master (AoA: Book 2) by Wayne Houchin shows that this piece is effective in a stage setting. Mr. Houchin also explains the workings of the trick. An interview with Eugene Burger and Jeff McBride is next followed by an interview with Andrew Gerard.

SIX

Four Main items and five Cookies are on Disc Six.

Smoking i is an odd little trick by PH with some odd performance opportunities. A couple paper matches are removed from their book. One is initialed on both sides by a spectator. This match is burnt completely and its remains thrown away. The un-burnt match is shown to have the initials on it.

Michael Webers Weirdling is a topographical trick where a buy ten get one free card from a coffee shop is turned into a half & half card (front and back). This card can be kept as a souvenir. Robert Smith performs and explains this excellent trick and the coffee cards needed are included in the package.

One of my favorite entertainers, Charlie Frye, performs and explains his Ripped and Fryed, a fantastic torn and restored signed card that was inspired by the work of David Britland and Stephen Tucker. This fooled me badly in performance. Wayne Houchin also explains his slightly different version as well.

PHs Cellmates is a Kostya Kimlat inspired trick that isand admittedly soa pick-up trick (as in pick-up potential paramours). A phone number is randomly generated via playing cards. This number ostensibly belongs to the possible soul mate of the volunteer. When she/he dials the number, it turns out to be your cell phone. Good luck! ;)

One of the Cookies on this disc is not a trick per se but is something that PH published in AoA: Book 1 called Orange. An orange is sliced in such a way that the peel remains intact and the halves weaved together. The meat of the fruit remains inside and the whole thing is allowed to dry. The lovely Joan DuKore explains this intricate piece of work while doing it on camera. Another Vintage PH Video is his Immaculate Connection linking card routine (once featured on a David Copperfield special). The third Cookie is the second segment of the David Blaine interview with the fourth being the first segment of an interview with PHs fellow Magic Hedonist Michael Ammar. The last Cookie is an interview with two young peoplenon-magicianswho walked across the country from New Jersey to British Columbia, Canada (where the majority of this set of discs was filmed) just to meet Paul Harris. (As Forest Gump says, Thats all I have to say about that.)

SEVEN

Disc Seven has four Main Menu items and four Secret Cookies.

Bro Gilberts Water Trap is inspired by Doug Bennets Fire Trap. This is a near-impromptu version of Bennets effect where an initialed coin vanishes and appears inside the flap (between the paper layers) of a match book. This is very well constructed and the coin vanish is quite interesting (it disappears from inside a spectators hand though it was clearly seen inside their hand as it is closedand the performers hands are clean).

Dunns Deal is Shaun Dunns take on Paul Currys classic Out of this World. Performed and explained by Bro Gilbert, it has some elements of Wyman Jones Galaxy (credited). This version starts with a shuffled deck but the spectator is still able to separate reds from blacks in a single deal.

Wayne Houchin performs and explains his version of PHs Invisible Palm Aces (which, as everyone knows, is a version of Larry Jennings Open Travelers). Houchins take is interesting in that the aces arent used. Instead four random cards are used. This makes the trick purely about the Invisible Palm and not about the cardsspecifically, their identity. This gives the performer some interesting flexibility in regard to technique and Mr. Houchin takes advantage of it. Unfortunately the last card still has the weakness that most no-palm versions of this trick suffer: The last card must touch the pile where the cards are arriving before making the actual journey. Still, I liked several of the ideas this version has.

Truly Screwed is a version of the Screwed Deck without the screw. With this, the deck is unscrewed a half turn where half the deck is clearly seen face up on one end and face down on the other. The deck is screwed back to normal and is ready for inspection and/or more magic. The special gaff needed to carry out this effect is included.

The third and final segment of the Eric Mead interview starts this discs collection of Cookies. Flap Jacks (Close-up Fantasies: Book I) is performed and explained by PH as is Zen and the Art of Boomerang in two more pieces of Vintage PH Video. The fourth Cookie is a tasty one indeed: An interview with Mac King.

EIGHT

The penultimate disc in the set has four Main items and five Cookies.

Belly Button is my favorite trick in this entire collection. I have been having a nice time with it, and so will you. The effect is that a pin-back button that is pinned to a volunteers shirt penetrates through the material. It is a true WTF? moment for the spectator. Even onlookers are blown away. (The one problem I have encountered is the inevitable Do it to me! requests.) The gaff needed to perform this solid through solid trick is included. And while this pin with a simple question mark on it is meant to be a practice pin (you can buy, prepare, and use any similar sized pin) I like this one right now. When someone asks what the pin stands for, I say, Its how I answer the question, Who did you vote for. Needles to say, this will lose its topicality soon, but there are other things Ive been thinking about for later such as Its for when someone asks me who I think will win American Idol. (Or the World Series, etc.: The possibilities are endless; just use your imagination.)

SOS (Son of Stunner) is a revised version of PHs Color Stunner (The Magic of Paul Harris). It is a color changing deck effect that includes a prediction (the only card that remains the original color of the deck) as well as a Triumph effect. Paul Harris correctly observes that the revelation of the prediction can over shadow the righting of the mixed face up-face down deck. Audience management and pacing are very important here, so pay attention to your audience when you start performing this.

Heres an effect that Im surprised Ive never seen before. (As in why hasnt anyone thought of that before?) Muscle Bend is a PH effecta stunt really; but an unexplainable onewhere a coin is bent in the crook of the performers (or even the spectators) arm.

Andrew Gerards Unstable Label is the last of the Main items on this disc. Based on David Roths effect where a bottles label penetrates to inside the bottle, this is a semi-impromptu version where half of the small label commonly found at the top of a bottle penetrates to inside it. It can be done on the fly, but being somewhat prepared looks more promising to me. Heres a thought I had: Pre-peel several of these labels (from your favorite beverage that has them), allow to dry, and keep them in your wallet.

PHs Ultimate Rip-Off (Super Magic) is the first Vintage PH Video Cookie and Flash Fold (The Magic of Paul Harris) is the second. Paper Propeller is an age-old bit with a cigarette rolling paper that is remarkably demonstrated and taught by John Bodine. (I used to do this for my stoner friends back in the day, but not as well as this guy!) The second installment of the Michael Ammar interview is next with the interview of PH from Kozmos DVD magazine Reel Magic finishing off the Cookies on this disc.

NINE

The ninth and final disc in the set has six Main Menu items (five of which use the TA Pen that is included) and five Secret Cookies.

The TA Pen is a specially gaffed pen (engineered by Mark Allen) that allows you to create many illusions. After a section on the mechanics and care of this custom made instrument (called Romancing the Pen), just four effects and a small collection of what could be an endless supply of possibilities are shared. The first, The Rub, is the best in my view. Two signed billsone by the performer the other by a spectatorchange places in a most impossible way.

Short Term Memory is another very good piece that mentalists might find interesting. The performer has a few people look at several simple images that he has secretly drawn on a bill. He causes one person to not see (or forget seeing) one of those images.

Bulldog Nightshades is another way to perform PHs Nightshades effect where George Washingtons drawn on dark glasses move down from his forehead to his eyes and back. Im not crazy about this because I think that it calls too much attention to the pen since it appears to be causing the magic.

Bulldog Bluff is an effect where an illegible autograph becomes clear and readable. I have the same reservations with this as I do with Bulldog Nightshades.

One Bill Wonders is a small collection of ideasshown in the form of brief video clips giving a clear idea of each effectthat use this special pen.

To me, the strongest effects are those where the pen is held in the hand in a natural manner when displaying the bill (the first two effects have this property). The weakest are those where then pen is wiped across the bill, in some cases more than once, to create the effect. As I noted, in my mind, this calls too much attention to the pen. And while the pen is well crafteda spectator who uses it will not notice the gaffit will not withstand close inspection. Besides the custom pen, a second parts pen is included in the package along with several necessary accessories.

The last Main Menu item in this collection is an effect that would never work on me. The reason for that is because Im a cheap tightwad who usually knows how much cashand in what denominationsI have on me. Now, for those who dont, Angel Cake (Introducing the Placebo Effect) could be very powerful. In effect, the performer writes a prediction on a business or playing card and leaves it face down in plain site. A spectator is asked to take a bill out of his/her wallet, fold it, and drop it into an empty card box. All this is done behind the back so not even the volunteer knows what bill is in the box. The box is brought out, the bill removed (well say its a one dollar bill) and the prediction is shown to match. The bill is placed back into the box. The spectator is asked to concentrate on the bill and imagine it to be (say) a ten dollar bill. After some imagining, the bill is removed and shown to be a ten dollar bill. Of course, the volunteer is allowed to keep the changed bill. (No, this trick will not cost you money each time you perform it.)

The last five Secret Cookies of this project has the last trick of the project: A Vintage PH Video of The Shape of Astonishment (AoA: Book 3). The third and final segments of David Blaines, Michael Ammars, and PHs LVMI interviews are the next three Cookies. The last Cookieand the hardest to findis a new interview with Paul Harris where he discusses Astonishment and other ideas he has about magic. Whether or not you agree with everything he says and believes, it is an excellent and fitting end to this amazing collection of discs.

Everything about this collection is excellent. The production values, the unbelievable packaging, the extra goodies, and the content. The vast majority of the tricks are technically easy to do; well within the grasp of the intermediate student. It is pricey, but there is no doubtin my cheap tightwad mindthat the value for the money is met if not surpassed. Paul Harris devotees will feel that they just got the bargain of the century. Fans of good magic will just know that they got their moneys worth.

● Paul Harris: True Astonishments ● Paul Harris, Bro Gilbert, and various artists ● Multi-region ● Available from your favorite magic dealer. ● Dealers should contact Murphys Magic Supplies, Inc. on the web at www.murphysmagicsupplies.com or by phone at (800) 853-7403 ● $300 (9-disc set)

Tom Gilbert

Re: Paul Harris: True Astonishments

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 23rd, 2009, 9:26 am

Incredible review Dustin, thanks.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » February 23rd, 2009, 10:19 am

A quick question, since "Belly Button" is your favorite. I wondered if, logically, the trick would be better if the button was actually pinned to the shirt facing the other way as opposed to sliding down the inside of the shirt. I don't think it would be that difficult to alter the handling to make it happen that way, but, then again, I haven't tried it yet. Since you've done it, what do you think?

Andrew Charles

Postby Andrew Charles » February 23rd, 2009, 11:36 am

Scott,

This question was brought up on the True Astonishments forum and the general conclusion was that not only would it be more difficult to do but it would also be rather simple to come up with an explanation (i.e., he must have pinned two buttons on me and simply removed the outer one when he covered it up). Not only that but the smooth, flat feel of an inwards facing button would seem a big giveaway. And finally the idea of it being "logically" better if it was pinned inside is not quite accurate. Because if a pin was to truly penetrate your shirt it would plop down inside (as it does in belly button), not be pinned on the inside.

But again, this was just idle speculation on the TA message board. As far as I know, nobody has tried it because the general consensus after examining the idea was that it would be a weaker effect.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » February 23rd, 2009, 12:04 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks. I didn't buy from TAP, so I don't have access to the forums. And, I didn't think it out to that degree. You're probably right. One reason I thought of this is because I'm not wild about having to ask the person to tuck in their shirt, which just seems personally awkward. Without having them do that the pin could just fall out without being clear which side it fell from. The comments on the TA forums make sense, though, so perhaps this is the best handling.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 23rd, 2009, 3:23 pm

That thought never occurred to me, and I don't think it's something I'd consider.

The tucking thing hasn't been an issue. I just have them tuck the front part a bit. My line is, "Can you tuck the front of your top in just a bit? You'll see why in a second." This is actually when I ditch the gaff too because I am looking right into her eyes and pointing (gesturing actually) toward the bottom of her top with my clean hand. No problems so far.

It's a beautiful thing.

Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 23rd, 2009, 3:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words Tom. My thanks to you and everyone who has taken the time to read this!

Dustin

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » February 24th, 2009, 1:46 am

Well done Dustin! A crystal-clear review about an evidently fantastic product. You may have just cost me $300...

Don Knox
Favorite Magician: John Carney, Whit "Pop" Haydn, Eugene Burger

Postby Don Knox » February 24th, 2009, 1:51 am

Dustin-

I read your detailed review at lunch time.
Before dinner I was $300.00 lighter.
I'm not sure who to congratulate.
I guess I'm just lucky I don't need a set of tires.
Good review.
Thanks,
Don

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 25th, 2009, 2:56 am

I think you'll both be happy with the investment. Please let us know what you think after viewing the discs! (Even after the first two or three, then return when you have moved on.)

Thanks!
Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 26th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Okay; heres a little (or big, depending on your point of view) warning on Belly Button.

Do not allow ladies who areahemvery well proportioned to bend over as you are pinning the button to her top.

As my hand was beneath her top, not that high up mind you, she bent/slouched over trying to see. Well, she delivered herselfif you catch my driftdead smack onto the top of my hand. I felt it, she felt it: I looked up, she looked up (and she was red in the face and I suspect I was too). I stammereddoing my best to keep looking into her eyesstand up straightand trust me.

They can have a look after the pin is in place.

New rule: As I am pinning, I will tell them to stand up straight.

Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 26th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Dustin: is that what you call a "D CUP"
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 26th, 2009, 5:45 pm

:blush:

TheSaint

Postby TheSaint » March 20th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Spent lots of time searching for the cookies. Would folks like to know the locations of the ones I have found so far. I could post them here or e-mail them to folks.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 20th, 2009, 6:02 pm

TheSaint wrote:Spent lots of time searching for the cookies. Would folks like to know the locations of the ones I have found so far. I could post them here or e-mail them to folks.

or just go to the thread on theory11 where they are laid out. The simplest approach seems to have escaped folks - but then again for some reason they are calling "cookies" what everyone else calls easter eggs.

Ignorance Prevails.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » March 30th, 2009, 3:05 am

If you play the disc in a PC - you will have access to all the content via the chaper layout in your Media Player software.

Peo Olsson

Postby Peo Olsson » March 30th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Nice review Dustin!

kieran_os

Postby kieran_os » April 9th, 2009, 6:18 pm

hello there ths is the most detailed review i have ever seen.well done.

i have found 43 of the cookies im missing the last one on disc nine.ive been trying to find it for the last month now but i am finding it very dificult. ive figured out it has something to do with the letter ''The Place'' these are part of ''Introducing The Placebo Effect'' those 8 letters highlight.it must be some code could you please tell me how to find it would be much appreciated thanks

kieran_os

Postby kieran_os » April 9th, 2009, 6:20 pm

great review it helped alot.i have 43 cookies im missing the last one.iknow that it has something to do with the lettering around ''introducing the placebo effect'' on dic=sc 9 title menu.

please help thanks

JimW

Postby JimW » April 9th, 2009, 11:18 pm

There are instructions for finding all the easter eggs/cookies here:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.p ... aster+eggs

The last one is very complicated, I don't know how anyone managed to find it!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 10th, 2009, 9:27 am

maybe someone learned how to read ifo files?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 10th, 2009, 12:25 pm

I wonder if anyone noticed that there are a number of wonderful magic tricks among the "cookies" or "EasterEggs" in this series?

Also, I hope folks will realize this is a forum, and stop using "text messaging techniques" and improper punctuation!!

Old Curumudgen,

GO

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 10th, 2009, 12:31 pm

Silly dinosaurs, it's called milk.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”