Works: Steve Dobson's DVD, by the Magic Bakery

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

Works: Steve Dobson's DVD, by the Magic Bakery

Postby Kent Gunn » October 4th, 2008, 2:10 am

The normal blurb should go here. It is a Magic Bakery product. If you want a bunch of them to resell, the folks at Murphy's will hook you up.

Now a disclaimer. Unlike the other products I've reviewed here. I know both the producer of the video and the performer. They're buddies of mine. What I'm trying to tell you is: Take what I say with a grain of salt.

This DVD has six tricks. I was especially taken with Steve's coins across. If you haven't seen him do it and you're not extremely conversant with coin magic, it will fool the socks off of you. It is as clean an "on the table" coins across as I've seen. There are other routines similar.

He also tips his routine he calls "The Portable Hole". I know, I know, David Roth, published before . . . This is a different take on the idea. If you do coins, you may want to wander down the path Steve has taken here.

The rest of the DVD was filled with Steve's original packet-based card tricks. This is one of his real strong suits. His card magic has been honed by thousands of real-world performances. Learn and perform these routines. You'll have significantly stronger material than 95% of the packet tricks out there.

He also tips some major information on a pass variant. If you're a breakfast pastry passer. This is some serious work on the pass.

Steve Dobson is one of those underground kinda guys. He lives and performs somewhere up round and about Seattle. There is a super-strong clutch of cardmen up there. I think it is a breeding ground for good magic because the weather there is so bad, the magicians never go outside!

I think the Magic Bakery, who produced this video has a bunch more of Steve in the can. This DVD does, by no stretch tip all of Steve's material.

Send Murphys some dough on this one. You may not do all six routines, you'll end up doing that coins across, though! I had learned two of the card routines from Steve, before I got the DVD.

REMINDER > > > > THIS IS NOT A FAIR REVIEW > > > > > >

It's honest, just biased to beat the band!!

KG

Bill Duncan

Re: Works: Steve Dobson's DVD, by the Magic Bakery

Postby Bill Duncan » October 4th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Kent,
Steve does a number of passes. Is this HIS pass? You know the one I'm talking about.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » October 5th, 2008, 1:01 am

Bill Duncan wrote:Kent,
Steve does a number of passes. Is this HIS pass? You know the one I'm talking about.

Yes Bill, his Herrmann inspired creation is described in this surprisingly well made DVD.

I'm looking forward to more MAGIC BAKERY video products.

Dave

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 5th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Looking forward to seeing it. Steve's pass is the best handling of that dynamic I've seen... and I've seen a bunch.

When the DVD drops with Dobson's spongeball routine on it, you're going to hear a LOT of noise.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » October 6th, 2008, 3:15 pm

1. Not all of the work on Steve's pass is on that DVD. I think you need to have Steve in the room to get the nuances.

2. His spongeball routine is the schnizzle. He did some stuff I'd never seen anywhere else. It is great. I'm glad you brought it up, since nobody can get it yet!

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”