ReelMagic Quarterly

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

ReelMagic Quarterly

Postby Kent Gunn » September 8th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Reel Magic Quarterly #6.
http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com/
To subscribe 55 dollars, US.
To order back issues or the current one, you must cough up 12 dollars, that's with shipping.

I got the first issue of this handed to me for free at a magic convention. I didn't bother with it until I got home. The first issue was wonderful. I'm not reviewing that one. I'm reviewing #6

Dear, sweet mother of all things pure and magical, this is some tasty, tasty stuff. Put on your raincoats, cause Kent is going to gush.

Dean freaking Dill, c'mon, he does one of his matices. He tells you how to do it. He tells the very charming story of his time with Carson, as his magic teacher. (Tough gig, Mr. Dill!) He also tells the story of how Johnny put him on the Tonight Show. I know if I had a story like that, I'd screw it up. Dean Dill tells it with a warmth and humility I know, deep down in my soul, ain't faked. Dean also fried my eyes by demoing his Dean's Triangle. WTF???

That's just the tip of the iceberg. David Regal explains a card trick . . . I haven't watched the explanation yet. I don't want to know how he did it. I think he used real magic. If I watch the explanation a pixie will die somewhere.

The only semi-famous magician I knew as a child is on here. The All-American boy - Jon Armstrong tells you why the way you do the double lift sucks. Jon is far more charming than I am. He gives some solid information on why most guys doing doubles hear the noise of a vacuum cleaner when they do it. (They suck)

My favorite British close-up guy rambles on with his rather affable charm. Simon Lovell, I want to go drinking with you, just to see if I'm still the biggest magic lush in the world. I've heard rumors you can drink a beer or two. I will put my twenty years of submarine training up against you though!

Garrett Thomas tells you why you need to do your sleights in both hands. He then kicks your ass by doing it flawlessly. Smart fellow that Thomas lad. I think if ever get to meet him, I'll not tell him I can't do a single sleight in both hands. I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous though . . .

From the website, it is 55 bucks for six issues. That's freaking 9 dollars a disk.

[size:23pt]Twelve dollars, shipped to your door, for this product is the best deal in magic. [/size]

If you have even an inkling of magic history and you're not collecting these like bubble gum cards, you are going to kick yourself some day. Johnny Thompson is on these things. He is the last great magician of his era still combing his hair. He is the connection to the greats of magic.

There's a bunch of great stuff I didn't even mention on this one disk.

Go to their website and subscribe. Go, go there now, dammit! Order the back issues too. What the hell are you doing still reading my crap? Get your paypal on and click on the link below.

http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com/
Last edited by Kent Gunn on September 8th, 2008, 6:03 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Spelling errors caught, thanks to RK

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: ReelMagic Quarterly

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 8th, 2008, 5:20 pm

That would be "Jon" Armstrong. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » September 8th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Thank you sir. Corrected. I also snuck in affable for my erroneous effable. Simon is many things, but calling him pronouncable is just silliness.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » September 9th, 2008, 1:09 am

I have to agree with Kent, Reel Magic has kept up the quality and is a wonderful product. Kozmo Magic really puts in an effort to keep it top drawer.
Steve V

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » September 9th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Reel Magic is one of the best values in a world of over-hyped and over-price DVD's... hats off to Koz for setting an example of how DVDs can be intelligently made and sold...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”