Solid

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

Solid

Postby Kent Gunn » September 6th, 2008, 1:29 am

Solid(DVD) Effect by Hugo Leclercq, Narration/Performance by Kevin Parker $17.00 as instant download from: www.illcenter.com

Kevin Parker, an affable enough lad, with a touch of a southern accent, performs the effect and explains it with nothing resembling enthusiasm nor panache. The phrase, "Dryer than a popcorn fart", sprang to my mind.

The effect is linking a soft-drink can's pull tab to a borrowed necklace. He then hands the necklace and pull tab to the spectator for examination. To me, nothing says class like, taking a piece of jewelry from someone and linking a pull tab on to it.

You can certainly go to the link above and see the effect performed. I'll let you be the judge of whether you think this effect should join your repertoire.

The production quality of the video is just awful. Kevin is prattling on and and on and freaking on into a single camera with lousy autofocus and he keeps going in and out of focus. He is not a particularly good speaker and uses some pronunciations of common words I found amusing. There was obviously no script used. It's just as well, that tool may have lengthened the video.

I'm sure I'd enjoy the young lad's company, should we ever meet. If he reads this review, well . . . I have enough friends. (2 actually if anyone was counting)

The product isn't worth a bucket of warm spit. The trick isn't a particularly good idea. The method was and remains instantly transparent. I don't think it is a very good puzzle, yet that is how Mr. Parker presents it.

Mr. Parker's website is well-laid-out and looks to have been professionally produced. I wish I could say the same for Solid.

Do not encourage these people by buying anything from them.
Last edited by Kent Gunn on September 6th, 2008, 1:31 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Run-on sentence

mrgoat

Re: Solid

Postby mrgoat » September 6th, 2008, 10:24 am

I am enjoying your reviews Kent. Educational and amusing in one swoop.

I think this online review section is a great idea.

Damian

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”