Is this how people really see kid performers?

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
magicrobharv

Is this how people really see kid performers?

Postby magicrobharv » September 28th, 2022, 5:27 pm

The It's a Southern Thing You Tube channel posted this "comedy" video. As a kid's performer, it makes me wonder how really people see us.

https://youtube.com/shorts/R_xLwC8Tvxw?feature=share

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Is this how people really see kid performers?

Postby Tarotist » September 28th, 2022, 5:44 pm

That of course is a video with actresses! I do not believe it is the reality. When laymen hear you are a magician they are quite fascinated by it providing you are a good magician or if far more likely you are a bad magician but haven't shown them anything yet.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 28th, 2022, 5:55 pm

But he has a floating table!

The bar of legitimacy.

I bet he also produces a bowling ball from a sketch pad.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 28th, 2022, 9:37 pm

I tend to get slightly embarrassed telling people I am a magician but I shouldn't. I think a better attitude would be for me to hold my head up high, puff out my chest and proudly proclaim that I am a MAGICIAN! Still, at least I think it even if I don't say it. It should be something to be proud of. It is an ancient and honorable art. I just wish "magicians" didn't drag it into the gutter.

I do notice that as soon as you tell someone you are a magician they get all excited. Maybe it is a Canadian thing.

Andru Luvisi

Postby Andru Luvisi » September 28th, 2022, 10:44 pm

From page 72 of Scams & Fantasies with Cards, "Any good seamstress should be able to do this. When they ask you why, just tell them you're a magician. (I find that answer works to justify all manner of strange behavior.)"

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 28th, 2022, 11:54 pm

Tarotist wrote:I tend to get slightly embarrassed telling people I am a magician but I shouldn't.

Here's something Vernon had to say on the subject ...

"I never was proud of the fact that I was a magician.
That's why I had a card printed that said New York Card Expert.
If people I met on a plane or something would ask me what I did I would just give them my card.
I never said I was a magician.
If it was a certain person I was talking to, I would say I designed Christmas cards. For other people I would say I teach bridge.
I never said I was a magician.
Because in those days people would look down on you if they thought you were a magician. So I was rather ashamed of the fact that I knew some magic."

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » September 29th, 2022, 4:24 am

Here's my observation over the years.

Tell people that you are a Magician - and they immediately want you to 'prove it then'.

Tell them that you are a psychic/palm reader - and they immediately tend to believe you.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 29th, 2022, 7:28 am

I am very proud and happy to be a magician, with no reservations whatsoever. I have never felt any shame or worry about what people may think of me for being a magician. I fell in love with magic at age 6, and never looked back. It is an honor and a joy and has added endless fun and enjoyment to my life. Being a magician has helped me to put smiles on the faces of a lot of people -- people I never would have known, or gotten to know, or even met, if it weren't for magic. I have never felt that people looked down on me for being a magician; quite the opposite, actually. It's something to be really proud of if you give it your best and treat people with kindness and respect when you perform for them. Especially when you remove your ego from it and make the experience about them. Magic has taught me so much about myself and has immensely increased my understanding of people and human psychology. I feel that it's made me a better person. It is, indeed, an honorable art.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 29th, 2022, 8:53 am

I agree 100% with what Alfred has just said. In fact I was once told by a Canadian government official that magic was "an ancient and honorable art" and I always remembered that. Mind you, having said that I remember years ago the British theatrical newspaper "The Stage" had loads of advertisements saying something like "Entertainers of all kinds required (No Magicians)". I would see that all the time!

The trouble is that there is so much mediocrity in magic. I just wish standards were higher and less trivialisation of the art. And alas the trivialisation comes from the "magicians" themselves. How can the public respect you when you don't respect yourselves?

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » September 29th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Andru Luvisi wrote:From page 72 of Scams & Fantasies with Cards, "Any good seamstress should be able to do this. When they ask you why, just tell them you're a magician. (I find that answer works to justify all manner of strange behavior.)"

"I need this cut proof bowie knife pocket sewn into my coat."

"Why?"

"I'm a magician."

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » September 29th, 2022, 6:28 pm

“ I need seven keys that will fit the lock, but only one that will open it.”

“Why?”

“I’m a magician”

Return to “Children's Entertainment”