The New Talon

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
John Pezzullo

The New Talon

Postby John Pezzullo » February 2nd, 2005, 1:17 am

Does anyone know how many issues/volumes of "The New Talon" were published by David Britland?

David Britland

Re: The New Talon

Postby David Britland » February 2nd, 2005, 5:49 am

Hi John

There were only three issues of New Talon. So quite easy to build an entire run!

Best Wishes
David

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 2nd, 2005, 12:20 pm

David,

Greetings from the 'land down under'.

I just acquired a used copy of the final issue and was most impressed with the contents. I'm disappointed to read that only three issues were published.

In the 'Oracle' section of the third, and final, issue you wrote that the magazine:

"...features material which I've had for quite some time and it's only the tip of a growing mountain of interesting magical effects that I have stored on an old Tandy computer".
Was any of the material that formed part of this mountain ever set free from the confines of your old Tandy computer and released into the world of magic?

David Britland

Postby David Britland » February 3rd, 2005, 6:29 am

Hi John

No very little of that material has been published. Martin Breese has offered to publish a collection and at some point we hope to make that happen.

Meanwhile I do occasionally post odd items on a blog I have:

http://www.cardopolis.blogspot.com/

Quirky odds and ends mostly but you might find something of interest.

David

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » February 3rd, 2005, 11:17 am

I think it's high time we had a new David Britland book gathering old and new material together. There was some excellent stuff in the old "Free trick" section of Martin Breese's site, for example.

I only have one issue of New Talon, which has some nice work on Parallax and a superb red and black trick (something to do with alchemy).

While we're at it, how many issues of the original Talon were there?

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 3rd, 2005, 12:27 pm

David,

You're correct, the odds and ends posted on your blog are indeed quirky and very interesting. A whole lot of 'stuff' to get the mind stimulated and the brain juices circulating.

After reading the blog entries, it reminded of a list that I scribbled down a few months ago in which I listed my favourite 'writers' in the present day world of magic. This list included Jon Racherbaumer, Steve Bryant, Max Maven, Bob Farmer, Jamy Ian Swiss, Stephen Minch, and David Britland. I refer to this group as 'The Magnificent Seven'.

A collection of material, both your own material and the material that others have contributed to you over the years, would make for a wonderful book. let's hope this project comes to fruition in the not too distant future.

Return to “Other Magic Publications”