The "other" magic mag.

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.

The "other" magic mag.

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 8:04 am

Hi gang,
I hope Richard won't mind posting something about MAGIC magazine.
I picked up the January issue yesterday. What the hell is the ad on the back page? There is a cartoon of of a "magician" and a "lovely" assistant. She is holding his.....uh.....i'm not sure what it is. I know what it looks like. But maybe i'm just a dirty young man.
Any idea what this is? Or am I just being dirty-minded.
Pepka

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: The "other" magic mag.

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 4th, 2003, 9:58 am

Having gone to the site and checked the "effect" (which is questionable at best), all I can say is, turn your head and cough.

Dustin

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 11:13 am

Under the radar! I saw it two days ago, and have been tooling with mentioning it, I'm glad I wasn't the first. Hey, times are tough, you take money from where you can get it!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 4th, 2003, 11:27 am

I have no problem with forum members discussing anything which appears in MAGIC magazine here. Frankly, I think it would liven things up a bit!
As to the ad on the back page of their January issue, it appears to be a small purple Snake Basket with a yellow pencil balloon coming out of it. If you were to remove the color so it appeared only in black and white, the image would be less subliminal and you would even more clearly see that she is obviouly cradling the testicles of his erect (and oddly bent)censored.
Do you think John Moehring noticed this before printing it? No. Could the same thing have happened to us at Genii? Yes. I do not study each ad in detail before printing it. Since MAGIC has more ads than Genii, they have even less chance of spotting it.
It'll be interesting to see if they run that ad again ...
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 4th, 2003, 12:27 pm

Richard,

The "effect" is a self-inflating condom while in the hands of a volunteer (female in the ad). The ad on the site says that, "'Hallelujah' is aimed at both youth and adults" and is "hilarious."

Dustin
(Can't wait for the Danny O. and Michael C. reviews of this one.)

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 4:02 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
[...]If you were to remove the color so it appeared only in black and white, the image would be less subliminal and you would even more clearly see that she is obviouly cradling the testicles of his erect (and oddly bent)censored.
Do you think John Moehring noticed this before printing it?[...]
No, but I bet the guys at the printing plant noticed it when they saw the black plate (which for you non-printing biz guys would be sort of the equivalent of a black and white version). I can hear it now; "Hey Joe! You gotta see this one!"

Best,

Geoff

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 4:50 pm

I hope like any good assistant she warmed up her hands first!

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 6:49 pm

Remember those enhanced photographs of the foliage around the fence at the back of the grassy knoll in Dallas the day Kennedy was shot?

If the artist had been R. Crumb, it would be a different story.

Most telling is the minor gaffe on p. 7.

Onward...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 4th, 2003, 11:23 pm

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
Most telling is the minor gaffe on p. 7.
Ooooh! Does this make it a collector's item???

How many times has your name (first and last) been mangled over the years?

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2003, 7:27 pm

2311 times.
(That I know about)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2003, 8:12 pm

Here is the entire text from the company's website regarding the trick "Hallelujah." This is the funniest damn thing I've ever read!
hahahahahahahahahah $110!!!! hahahahahahah

A woman volunteer from the audience chooses her favorite color condom. She opens, rolls up and places the condom on the glass (once she has examined it carefully).

The magician then covers the volunteer's eyes and asks her to think about certain things...(ooh la la) Hey presto! To the audience's surprise and enjoyment the condom swells and rises...!!!

The audience has a good laugh and cheers the woman to the strains of the song, "Hallelujah...!!!"

This magic is hilarious, especially amusing and includes original gags that are described in a video filmstrip that is supplied with the product.

Price: 110 USD

[Order]

The Products Advantages

* The new version of "Hallelujah" is professionally constructed for this effect.

* "Hallelujah" is aimed at both youth and adults.

* Professional magicians throughout the world have tried out Hallelujah and the effect has earned outstanding responses!!

* "Hallelujah" is simple and easy to use.

* "Hallelujah" includes all the accessories required for the immediate performance of the effect :

* A special hand made glass plus saucer of the highest quality.
* A special capsules.
* Eye-covers.
* A packet of condoms.
* A CD that includes a rendition of the effect during a live performance, clear instructions for use and music to be played during the performance

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2003, 3:49 am

Originally posted by Geoff Latta:
Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
[b][...]If you were to remove the color so it appeared only in black and white, the image would be less subliminal and you would even more clearly see that she is obviouly cradling the testicles of his erect (and oddly bent)censored.
Do you think John Moehring noticed this before printing it?[...]
No, but I bet the guys at the printing plant noticed it when they saw the black plate (which for you non-printing biz guys would be sort of the equivalent of a black and white version). I can hear it now; "Hey Joe! You gotta see this one!"
[/b]
Ah, but that would insinuate printers actually look at anything they do. Anyone who has worked on a magazine will know that printers do not so much as pass a second glance at the plates. Hence upside pages, missed pages, and a whole lot more fun...

:)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 6th, 2003, 11:11 am

A condom trick aimed at "youth?" Geezus we are doomed... :eek: :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2003, 5:30 pm

Oh come on now. I hope I am not showing all that much conservative thinking when I call them on the "aimed at youth and adults" line. Now there is some really fine advertisement for the image of a magical effect. At least bury the thing somewhere inside the mag where it might not be so offensive. I too will be interested to see if it runs again.

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2003, 1:55 pm

Well, at least it gives the guys who do the bra trick something to look down on!

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 6:05 am

Originally posted by mrgoat:

[/qb]
Ah, but that would insinuate printers actually look at anything they do. Anyone who has worked on a magazine will know that printers do not so much as pass a second glance at the plates. Hence upside pages, missed pages, and a whole lot more fun...

:) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Oh, but that means which printing company you are using. Yes, I work in one :) .

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2003, 8:15 am

Pekka, our printer certainly looks intensely at each page of Genii to make sure that all sorts of troubles stay away. They are quite interested in seeing that the quality of their printing remains high and to our satisfaction. And, some of them DO read the articles in Genii because they make remarks about them.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 27th, 2003, 9:58 am

Richard: Any idea who, if anyone, proof read "Open Sesame?" :confused:
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 27th, 2003, 10:01 am

I thought Pete Brio sounded like something to spread on a cracker.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 28th, 2003, 10:05 am

I do like cheese... heheheh...
Stay tooned.

Return to “Other Magic Publications”