Antimony is HERE!

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Antimony is HERE!

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2005, 11:57 am

I received the first issue of Antimony in the mail today and ... WOWZA! Looks great. Different in design, and with some great material. Looks like a winner.
Everyone is hereby ordered to subscribe!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Kentner

Re: Antimony is HERE!

Postby Bob Kentner » February 2nd, 2005, 2:44 pm

Too late already did. Hopefully mine will be in the mailbox when I get home.

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » February 3rd, 2005, 6:00 am

Richard, thanks for your comments. Glad you liked it.

Bob, my wife and I (mostly my wife) are working through the mailing list and all subscriptions should be mailed by the end of next week, probably sooner. I appreciate your patience as we get it all together. My goal was to get them all mailed by the middle of the month and I think we'll do better than that.

For anyone interested in following Richard's "order," here is the link to the Antinomy subscription page:
Subscribe to Antinomy

I will be attending Magi-Fest in Columbus, OH this weekend and will have copies of Issue #1 with me. So, for anyone else who will be there, look me up.

Thanks,

Gene Taylor
editor & publisher
Antinomy

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » February 4th, 2005, 8:08 am

Dear Mr. Taylor:

I am very interested in subscribing to Antinomy and I enjoyed looking at your excellent web site. Anitnomy looks great!

To be honest, I was taken aback by the price of $72 a year for 4 issues along with a "Bonus CD/DVD."

Can you help me better understand the price vs. value of Antinomy in comparison with other magic publications/web sites?

I feel this is important since your noted columnists are already regularly published in/on other magazines/web sites that are lower-priced and which appear at more intervals.

Thanks for considering this question, which I ask with great respect to you and with understanding of the difficult project that you are undertaking.

Thanks, Robert Kane :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2005, 9:30 am

One of the reasons Antimony costs more is because its circulation is more limited than, say, Genii or MAGIC. It costs MUCH more per issue for printing.

The second reason is because the first issue is 48 pages and is very large, 11 inches square. It's big to print and big to mail. It's more expensive to print something square, however it has a distinctive look and feel that is different than anything that has come before it. This is not a crank-it-out-yourself newsletter like Fulves' Discoverie, Precursor, or Minotaur.

The third reason is that there is a CD-ROM at the end of the year with everything on it plus additional material--that's at least a $25 value.

A fourth reason might be that the poor bastard who's publishing it is trying to break even!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » February 4th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Robert,

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to respond more quickly to your question. Luckily, Richard has pretty much nailed the answer here. I am trying to do something that hasn't been done before in terms of the quality. I hope to maintain a high standard, both in terms of production and content. I'm really not interested in supplying the cheapest possibility to people.

The potential circulation is extremely limited, given that it is a subset of the already small magic marketplace.

I think if you held an issue in your hands, you would agree that it is worth its $20 individual price. It compares well to other publications and if you compare it to a $20 trick purchase, I think it is well worth its cost. Every cost Richard mentions is higher than it would be for other similar projects. This is certainly true of electronic-only mediums that you may be referring to.

I plan on targeting the 48 page count for every issue. That means almost 200 pages annually, plus the additional material that is provided to subscribers on the CD-ROM.

All in all, I think it is a good value for the money.

Thanks,

Gene Taylor

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » February 4th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Thanks to Gene and Richard for their fast and thoughtful responses. Hopefully, my budget will allow me to subscribe soon. :)

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 4th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I received the first issue of Antimony in the mail today and ... WOWZA! Looks great. Different in design, and with some great material. Looks like a winner.
Everyone is hereby ordered to subscribe!
Based on Richard's comments, I have just subscribed to ANTINOMY.

I live outside of the USA, so my subscription has cost me $92.00. If I deduct $20.00 for the bonus CD-ROM, I'm only looking at about $18.00 per issue, and this includes airmail postage to Australia. If you compare this to how much money most lecturers charge just for a set of lecture notes nowadays, I think you'll agree that Gene's subscription rates are very reasonable.

I'm looking forward to receiving and reading the first issue.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 4th, 2005, 9:42 pm

The first issue just arrived here and sets a very high standard for subsequent issues. I like the design and content, so expect this new publication to find a loyal following. Keep up the great work!

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » February 5th, 2005, 3:48 pm

Hope us British subscribers do not have too long to wait!
I'm chomping at the bit!

Darren
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » February 6th, 2005, 1:15 pm

All International subscription copies have been mailed. Domestic copies will all be mailed within the next few days.

Thanks!

Gene Taylor

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » February 7th, 2005, 10:38 am

I can't wait 'till my copy arrives ("Please, please Mr. Postman...") :p

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » February 8th, 2005, 8:59 am

Received in Limey-Land today.
Well worth the (short) wait.
Really glad I subscribed.
Darren
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 9th, 2005, 9:56 pm

I finally received my copy today. As I have not read it, the only comment I can make is about its appearance. The moment I slid it from the envelope I was taken back to the 1970s when some vinyl LPs included liner notebooks (an excellent example would be Quadrophenia by The Who [1973]). Back when LPs were more than just a record. Back when the jackets were often thoughtful works of art and the entire package (music, artwork and liner notes) was an experience to be enjoyed together. Thats what I saw when I first looked at this magazine: a thoughtful work of art. I look forward to the rest of the experience.

Dustin

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » February 10th, 2005, 10:32 am

Thanks, Dustin. I hope the inside lives up to the outside. I've had one other person compare it to holding an LP in their hands.

Except for a few outstanding new subscriptions, all copies of Issue #1 have mailed at this point. The remainder should go out today.

I wanted to mention that I am now set up on my website to take orders for Issue #1. They are $20 plus shipping. To find out the cost to your part of the world, go here:
Buy Issue #1

For anybody who buys the issue (only from Antinomy Magic) and then decides they want to subscribe, I'm offering the "Try Before You Subscribe" guarantee. Send me your full subsciption price, and I'll refund your Issue #1 purchase price. Subscriptions begin with Issue #1 and it's a limited time offer. Details are on the website, once you select your postal zone.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.

Gene Taylor

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Just received mine today. I agree with all the above as soon as I removed it from the envelope, I knew this was going to be worth every penny, and that was before even opening the cover. Got to go check out the inside now.

Best,
Joe

Cohiba

Postby Cohiba » February 12th, 2005, 11:03 am

I haven't seen the first issue yet - I need to get my subscription in - but my friend just received his and is raving about it! I can't wait to see it!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 12th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Gene Taylor:
Thanks, Dustin. I hope the inside lives up to the outside.
Indeed it does. I have completed about two-thirds and it is great stuff. For those who have yet to subscribe; there is a lot of value for the money here. Regarding the format: I am very appreciative of the large type since I wear trifocals!

Thanks!
Dustin

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » February 12th, 2005, 5:06 pm

Bought Issue #1 today. I am looking forward to seeing it. :)

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 17th, 2005, 1:21 am

I received my copy of ANTIMONY yesterday and I soon realised that my decision to subscribe to ANTIMONY was a wise one.

The debut issue is superb.

Gene Taylor deserves to be feeling proud of himself.

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » February 17th, 2005, 8:03 am

Thanks, John. All the positive comments have been very gratifying.

Just wanted to mention that people can still start their subscriptions with Issue #1 if they sign up soon.

Gene

Cohiba

Postby Cohiba » February 27th, 2005, 4:06 pm

Wow! I was blown away when I opened the first issue! Talk about fun turning through the pages! Antinomy is as fun to look at as it is to read! Way to go Gene!!

Mike Kelly

Postby Mike Kelly » February 28th, 2005, 4:29 pm

The first issue of Antinomy arrived this past weekend and all I can say is it is awesome. May cost a bit more than other magazines but well worth the cost based on the content. The publication is more like a quarterly magic book. It is a great addition to the magic "magazine" world. Outstanding...just outstanding.

Mike

Robert Toomer

Postby Robert Toomer » February 28th, 2005, 5:03 pm

I'am still wating for my issue to arrive. After reading the great reveiws I had to subcribe also. Hope it comes soon. P.s This is my first post. Hello to everyone. :)
Robert TOOMER

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » March 1st, 2005, 6:02 am

To "magichands808"

I sent you an email on this, but haven't heard from you. Just want you to know your copy of Issue #1 mailed First Class on Feb. 16th so you should've gotten it by now.

To everyone else, thanks for all the positive feedback. I'll be posting highlights on my website of what to expect in Issue #2 soon!

Gene Taylor

Robert Toomer

Postby Robert Toomer » March 3rd, 2005, 2:14 pm

I finaly got my issue today. Thanks Gene for the outstanding job and the concern about my not receiving it. Keep up the great work. I'm going to send in my full regestration today. Looking forward to #2. Robert, :)
Robert TOOMER

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » March 3rd, 2005, 8:56 pm

Just got Issue #1. It's awesome. Will subscribe soon! Thanks to Gene for doing such a great job! :)

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » March 4th, 2005, 2:41 pm

Thanks to you both. Glad you got your issues!

Gene

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » March 7th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Gene,
Great first issue but my only complaint is that the post office folded the envelope in half and creased the issue.

Perhaps stamping the envelope "Do Not Fold" will keep them from doing so. Or maybe not, but it's worth a try.

Jeff Pierce

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » March 7th, 2005, 7:44 pm

I ditto Jeff's comments. Mine came folded as well - it's my only complaint though! Loved the first issue.

Gene Taylor

Postby Gene Taylor » March 8th, 2005, 6:31 am

I appreciate both the comments about the issue and about the mailing. We do have a stamp we'll be using, but I don't think this is any guarantee that any given postal person won't crease the darned thing. We're considering other mailing options.

For anyone who may have tried to access the Antinomy Magic website, it has been down due to a hardware failure at the company that hosts it. It should be back up within 24 hours.

Thanks,

Gene

Justin Fraser

Postby Justin Fraser » March 15th, 2005, 1:23 am

items for the next issue are up, can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep!

http://antinomymagic.com/upcoming.htm

Return to “Other Magic Publications”