A Magic List of Appreciation for Some World Wide Wizards

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

A Magic List of Appreciation for Some World Wide Wizards

Postby Zig Zagger » February 25th, 2020, 3:32 pm

There are many unsung heroes in magic.

Most of them were creators or performers, sometimes authors, lost in time. Others are right here before our eyes, on the internet, providing great and mostly free services to the magic community, connecting us, informing us, sharing their ideas and research, and making us smarter. Used and simply taken for granted by so many, but sadly not appreciated or lauded enough IMHO. With this list, I’d like to change that, at least a little bit. (And I'm a bit annoyed that there is a World Sword-Swallower Day around and even a World Toilet Day, but nothing magical...)

So here are some of my Magic Heroes of the Internet, or World Wide Wizards, in no particular order:

- Meir Yedid, for sort of starting and serving the magic news biz thing on the internet back in late 1997 with his "Magic Times" service
    - Alan Watson, for tirelessly sending out his "Magic New Zealand Newsletter" into the world since 1999
    - Steve Bryant, for constantly delivering his fine "Little Egypt Magic"
    - Jeff Stone for leaving no magic stone unturned in his long-running blog (until December 2014), Stone Cold Magic
    - Wayne Kawamoto for hundreds of insightful reviews, tricks and tips on various platforms like about.com and The Spruce Crafts until a few years ago
    - Duncan Trillo, for 1,000+ editions of "MagicWeek" with news from the UK
    - Scott Wells, for until this very day 547 magic podcast talks at "The Magic Word"
    - Jamy Ian Swiss, for his both eloquent and deeply insightful "Lyon’s Den" column over at Magicana
    - Paul Romhany for establishing, running and sharing "VANISH Magic Magazine" for free
    - John Cox for being so "Wild About Harry" Houdini
    - Dale Carnegie for his always revealing "The Magic Detective" blog
    - Andy Whoknowshislastname for establishing and feeding "The Jerx", a wildly innovative, fresh and at times pubertal and off-color treasure trove
    - Chris Wasshuber for founding Lybrary.com and for 900+ weekly newsletters so far with the most personal stories and insights
    - Roland Henning for establishing and running the hard-hitting, but fair and indispensable "Weekly Magic Failure" blog (until 2017)
    - Alexander de Cova for sharing countless professional tips, moves and secrets over the years in his ever-changing blog, "Solid Magic", which is much more than solid
    Denis Behr for building, feeding and providing both the Conjuring Archive and the Conjuring Credits!
Gentlemen, a big bow of appreciation, a heartfelt nod of admiration and a huge THANK YOU, thundering applause and a standing ovation to all of you for your tireless efforts, dedication, talent, and generosity!

If you are unfamiliar with one or the other, you can find all links to their sites on my blog here: https://zzzauber.wordpress.com/2020/02/ ... reciation/

Who are your Magic Heroes on the internet?
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: A Magic List of Appreciation for Some World Wide Wizards

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 26th, 2020, 6:04 am

Zig Zagger, thank you for sharing that and for taking the time to acknowledge those contributors to our art. It seems the way of the world, in virtually all fields, that there are those who are widely acknowledged - even glorified - while others who are quite deserving barely get a grain of recognition and appreciation.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » February 26th, 2020, 9:01 am

A great job, Jan!
Not only for the appreciation of those great magician's work, but for letting all magicians here know those extremely useful resources.
Thank you very much!
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » February 28th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Thank you, Alfred and Paco!

Anybody else? I don't believe that there is nobody else to thank for giving freely and constantly to our magic community...
And I'm sure there must be dozens of other valuable sources on the WWW out there worth sharing!

Anybody?
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 28th, 2020, 4:37 pm

The pioneers in this field are discussed in detail by Scott Wells and Jim Sisti in
A Brief History of Magic on the Internet.

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » March 2nd, 2020, 2:59 pm

Thank you Brad, I will check this out!

Anybody else? :shock:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

I think you forgot to mention the Forum on which you are writing this!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Zig Zagger

Postby Zig Zagger » March 2nd, 2020, 3:29 pm

Well, yes and no. It was a bit too self-evident for me, and I didn't want to come across as a bootlicker... :?

But nonetheless, like many others, I'm definitely very grateful that you provide and groom this place! :P :P :P

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2020, 4:40 pm

We don't say boot-licker. We say ass-kisser.

I don't need my ass kissed, but it would have been common courtesy for you to include The Genii Forum.

performer

Postby performer » March 2nd, 2020, 4:41 pm

I would be inclined to recognise Richard's achievements in such things as bringing out the Berglas book and republishing Greater Magic for which he certainly deserves recognition. Not for much else though including this place.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2020, 8:39 pm

Oh, thanks.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 2nd, 2020, 8:57 pm

i would also recognize Richard's achievement, among others, in having the cleanest classic pass I've seen - and I've seen a lot of'em...

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » March 4th, 2020, 1:43 pm

I would like to show my particular recognition here for the dedication to the art of magic to...
Richard Kaufman, Zig Zagger (Jan), MagicbyAlfred, performer (Mark Lewis) and Brad Jeffers... among others hundreds more...
(Not intending to be an ass-kisser or boot-licker!)
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 4th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Thank you Paco. It's refreshing to see kind words on here. Yes I love magic. I would certainly add your name to the list as well. I have enjoyed reading your wonderful book, and your passion for card magic is inspiring.

Return to “Link Watch”