Copperfield Forced To Reveal Secret To Trick

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Riversky

Copperfield Forced To Reveal Secret To Trick

Postby Riversky » April 20th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Magicians don't usually reveal their secrets — but one of the world's most famous magicians — David Copperfield — just did.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/60442393 ... t-to-trick

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Copperfield Forced To Reveal Secret To Trick

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 20th, 2018, 9:28 pm

No, he didn't reveal the secret.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » April 21st, 2018, 4:30 am

The real point is, never ask a spec to do anything more demanding than selecting a card and remembering it.

And even then, have them hold the card up for the rest of the audience to see, so that when they freak out at the idea of being on stage and forget it, at least a few people will know what it was.

performer

Postby performer » April 21st, 2018, 7:33 am

Alas you only have to reveal part of the secret for laymen to be satisfied that they know all there is to know. Come to think of it I don't think I would relish rushing through unfamiliar terrain either. I can quite see someone slipping and hurting themselves. I am surprised it hasn't happened already. Mind you it probably has and we haven't heard about it.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » April 21st, 2018, 12:57 pm

performer wrote:Alas you only have to reveal part of the secret for laymen to be satisfied that they know all there is to know. Come to think of it I don't think I would relish rushing through unfamiliar terrain either. I can quite see someone slipping and hurting themselves. I am surprised it hasn't happened already. Mind you it probably has and we haven't heard about it.

Not really related, but, what you said made me think of a YouTube clip of the sawing a women in half trick. The women had problems in the box and the magician really did "saw a women in half"...... Disturbing to say the least.... :!:
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 21st, 2018, 8:23 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:No, he didn't reveal the secret.

on the news segment i saw they stated that the volunteers were substituted with stage hands before taking them out the back and down corridors etc. They even aired the video footage of them making that trip.

it certainly wasn’t everything, but it also wasn’t
nothing.

unless you are making the argument that it wasn’t dc per se who did the revealing per se

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 22nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

I'm not sure why the media is so breathless over the alleged reveal. The GMA correspondent I saw said something like: "They don't really disappear...they run to the back of the theater through passageways!"

Well...duh.

It's sort of frightening if there are really people out there who were shocked at this.

performer

Postby performer » April 22nd, 2018, 5:30 pm

I think the secret of the trick was already out there even before this incident happened. Presumably this trick has been performed hundreds of times over the years and hundreds of people have taken this little run and afterwards told their friends what happened. So hundreds know how it is done already. Not quite as bad as You Tube exposure but bad enough. This is what happens when you use stooges which is what those audience members ended up being.

I am not the judge or jury here but running down dark passageways and unfamiliar terrain where construction has been going on is asking for trouble.

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » June 1st, 2018, 3:24 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:No, he didn't reveal the secret.

On the positive side, it's great that they consulted you and quoted you Mr Kaufman!
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

performer

Postby performer » June 2nd, 2018, 6:42 pm

I have been informed by a highly irritated Mr Dickens in the spirit world that David Kotkin is not the only entertainer who has stolen the title of his book and used it as a stage name. Here is another chap doing the same thing. Some might say he is more entertaining than Mr Kotkin. He is certainly funnier and a better ventriloquist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tylk6JKk4

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 2nd, 2018, 11:03 pm

Wayne Dobson did a fabulous version of that bit. It was hysterical.

Edited to correct Wayne Rogers to Wayne Dobson. Argh!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » June 3rd, 2018, 4:30 am

The ‘vent’ David Copperfield found fame in the 80’s in a BBC sketch show called Three of a Kind, which also starred (Sir) Lenny Henry and Tracey Ullman. While the latter pair went on to bigger and better things, the British DC disappeared into obscurity.

Wayne Dobson also used to do a similar piece in his act as I recall.

Feel free to delete this post if considered off-topic.

Andrew

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » June 3rd, 2018, 6:41 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Wayne Rogers did a fabulous version of that bit. It was hysterical.

You’re misremembering: that was Wayne Dobson.

The bit has been used by many vents. I recall a very good rendition by the excellent French ventriloquist Georges Schlick.

Contrary to Mark Lewis’ proclamation, the bit precedes Britain’s Dennis Spicer in the 1950s.

Although it is probably older, the earliest reference of which I’m aware is, surprisingly, by an American not thought of as a vent: Lord Buckley, who was doing his version in the 1940s. He called the routine “The Chairs.”

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » June 3rd, 2018, 6:10 pm

AJM wrote:The ‘vent’ David Copperfield found fame in the 80’s in a BBC sketch show called Three of a Kind, which also starred (Sir) Lenny Henry and Tracey Ullman. While the latter pair went on to bigger and better things, the British DC disappeared into obscurity.

Andrew

Born Stanley Barlow. Doing speaking now perhaps? A link from 2015:

http://comedians4u.co.uk/comedian/david ... #more-8548

Return to “Link Watch”