The End Times Magazine

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Jack Shalom

Re: The End Times Magazine

Postby Jack Shalom » June 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I'm enjoying this first issue. It's a large-sized (about the size of Genii, but a bit wider) nicely bound quality paperback format, with lots of clear black and white photos. It's all cards, with appealing plots. I like the effects that were mentioned in the post above. Other of my favorites include a Spectator Cuts to the Aces effect where the premise is cutting for high card, and another effect which has the performer apparently dead cutting twice to two spec's selected cards.

The effects mostly require sleights which are fun to do in a John Bannon-ish way (early John Bannon, i.e. before he went sleightless); in fact many of these sleights are John Bannon sleights. Nothing too strenuous, but the kind that make you smile as you do them.

And did I mention that Ryan has a wicked sense of humor? It's quite an entertaining read. I don't think anyone can complain that they haven't gotten their money's worth for this issue. Looking forward to giving some of these effects a spin with some actual participants.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 13th, 2018, 12:09 am

Received my copy today. And it was in a plain brown wrapper, as promised.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 13th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Thanks, Jack for the kind words! Glad you are enjoying it. More fun is coming ...
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 13th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Received my copy today. And it was in a plain brown wrapper, as promised.

Of course. We wouldn't want the riff-raff to know what we are really up to.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 16th, 2018, 11:57 am

A Tease:
John Carey just sent me an amazing trick inspired by something he read in Book One. It's no-nonsense killer involving a spectators mentally selected card. It doesn't get much more direct than this. And John has made quite the creative leap from where we started.

If YOU want to read it, you got to subscribe. It will appear soon in Book Two.

What else will appear in Book Two? Hmm.. I can't reveal all just yet but ...how about Xavier Spade's self-working spread cull!

And, working on a little surprise for ALL subscribers that will ship with Book Two. More about that soon.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 2nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

I am preparing an "Extra" issue for all subscribers to The End Times. It will be 30 pages or so and ship with Book 2. That will bring your total page count to 100 pages of magic! Routines from me and John Carey.

The Extra will contain more great usable routines just like the main issue but we will stretch out and do a little more creative exploration. I promise nothing half-baked or unfinished, though.

You ONLY get the extra if you are subscriber.

Subscribe NOW and receive the first issue immediately and get the second issue along with the robust extra around August.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 11th, 2018, 2:08 am

Just received:

"The End Times is a great new journal by the very clever Ryan Matney. I see a LOT of new magic in my job but when I see material of this quality I sit up and take notice. I will be subscribing.

The first trick in the first issue,"Dislocation," is worth the price of admission. It uses one of my favorite "semi automatic" ideas in a new and interesting way. I found at least two effects I will add into my repertoire just in issue one. Ryan's got a great eye for strong material and you see that in this exciting new series.

If "Book One" is any indication of what is to come, I am excited to see more." - Tim Trono

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 11th, 2018, 3:25 am

If you have wanted to subscribe to The End Times but you are a broke, busted-ass magician, I have new payment option for YOU.

We have all been there. Sometimes $100 is a lot to come up with at once. I am now offering a monthly payment plan.

For a low monthly payment automatically drafted from your paypal accont, you can get the full benefits of being a subscriber including the upcoming EXTRA issue.

Follow the link below for the details, my friends.

http://ryanmatneymagic.com/index.php/product/the-end-times-monthly-payment-option/

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » February 5th, 2019, 10:16 am

Any idea when issue #2 is coming out?

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » February 5th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Ryan Matney on 26 May 2018 16:06 wrote:The second issue is due in August.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 5th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Obviously I missed August. The second issue should be out in a few weeks from now pending a business arrangement. Hard to give you an exact date as it depends on a couple of things but I will update here with a specific date as soon as I have that information.

The fact is, there was a certain number of subscriptions I needed to get in order to make this work for me and I fell way, way, short of that goal. It appeared to be viable for the first issue while I was sending those out and then subscriptions slowed down to nothing pretty quickly. Then I'm stuck.

I'm dealing with it and will be finishing the four issues. There's a plan in place to get them out.

I really do appreciate that most all of you that subscribed, apart from a couple of notable exceptions, have been very patient.

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » February 7th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Thanks Ryan. It just suddenly dawned on me now that NewHallowThanksmas season is over that I never saw issue #2. I was hoping that I just didn't miss it or it got lost in the mail. Bummer that you didn't get the number of subscribers you were looking for, but I'm happy to hear that the total 4 issues will still go out. To anyone who didn't subscribe - you missed out on some great stuff!

Rob

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 8th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Thanks Rob!

Don't count it over and done yet! I'm committed to finishing the run. And any subscriptions incoming will be honored. I do realize anyone thinking about subscribing now might want to wait to see if I send out Book Two and Three. But the more successful it is, the quicker I can work, that's just a reality.

But its coming out regardless.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » February 8th, 2019, 9:29 pm

But the more successful it is, the quicker I can work, that's just a reality.

Er, is it not also "just a reality" that it was advertised and sold as a quarterly publication?

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 9th, 2019, 12:02 am

Ted M wrote:
But the more successful it is, the quicker I can work, that's just a reality.

Er, is it not also "just a reality" that it was advertised and sold as a quarterly publication?

Since I honestly explained the situation, I'm not sure what you want here Ted. You are not a subscriber.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » February 9th, 2019, 10:15 am

The flippant dismissal of pre-paid commitments (by you, and by too many others) damages the magic marketplace for everybody.

When you decide to take people's money, you have the obligation to say what you mean and mean what you say.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 9th, 2019, 11:57 am

I didn’t see anything Ryan has written that would seem flippant. As a subscriber I appreciated the update.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » February 9th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Ted M wrote:The flippant dismissal of pre-paid commitments (by you, and by too many others) damages the magic marketplace for everybody.

When you decide to take people's money, you have the obligation to say what you mean and mean what you say.

I also didn't subscribe and I'm not sure that is even germane. My list of paid for and undelivered publication is too long now.

Your last sentence sums up my feelings totally and I'll never understand the complete dismissal given by purchasers of undelivered product.

This didn't have to happen. Since there was a definitive subscription goal needed to make it viable, why in the world wasn't that stated in the "prospectus"? Very simply, it if was not reached, just refund the balance and move on.

I'll close now and go read my 2 issues of The Talisman and 1 issue of The West Coast Quarterly etc. etc.
Hell is empty and all of the devils are here. - William Shakespeare

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 9th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Don't leave out Arcane, Epoptica, and The Braue Notebooks! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

dc james

Postby dc james » March 12th, 2019, 9:47 pm

I clearly recall The Looking Glass as being a “quarterly publication” that only took four years to complete. There’s a long list of such delayed publications.

That said, as a subscriber to The End Times, I appreciate Ryan Matney’s efforts to keep us updated and believe that he’s determined to ultimately deliver on his promise.

While those who do not subscribe to The End Times are certainly free to make any comments they chose, I personally find them worth exactly what this delay has cost them. Absolutely nothing.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 12th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Ryan has just offered a free pdf of one of his publications to subscribers as a way of bridging the gap while he attempts to get the rest of the numbers out. I think this is a fair way to proceed and I thank him.

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » March 13th, 2019, 6:51 am

The 1st issue of The End Times Magazine was (is) OUTSTANDING! I consider it one of the best bargains around, and one of the finest publications in my rather large magic library. Beautifully produced, clearly written and photographed with truly outstanding effects. The sleights shown are not difficult, and are beautifully orchestrated into the flow of the routines -- even if someone is "burning" your hands (they shouldn't be) the action all looks quite innocent.

Life happens. To me, it is not whether or not problems arise, it is how an individual responds that is their true measure. Ryan scores off the charts in this regard, has been open and transparent, and doing his best to play the hand that he has been dealt (no puns or double entendres there, so don't bother looking). The free PDF was a pleasant surprise and much appreciated, and I look forward to devouring the remaining issues of The End Times Magazine. No regrets here, just someone who is the beneficiary of some outstanding magic -- thanks Ryan!

skmayhew

Postby skmayhew » March 13th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Jon Elion wrote:The 1st issue of The End Times Magazine was (is) OUTSTANDING!

I agree!

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » April 27th, 2019, 6:12 pm

I'm pleased to say that Book Two will begin mailing this coming week, along with the EXTRA for subscribers which has 11 (!) items itself including the previously mentioned sleight Auto Cull by Xavier Spade, some rare stuff from me, and a whole session of unpublished material with an underused principle from John Carey.

Book Two will be listed for sale individually on my site tonight or tomorrow. The EXTRA will never be sold separately or distributed.

Thanks again to all that have been patient and supportive. And a special thank you to those that brought up rip off magazines and Jeff Busby.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » April 28th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Here is a demo video preview of one of the items in End Times Book Two. Kyosuke Kira's Pencil Through Hand. I was very happy to get this contribution and I hope it's just the first of more to come. Kyosuke-san also provided some beautiful illustrations for the description.

https://youtu.be/JrI2YXstJhc

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » April 30th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Book Two is now up for sale individually. I just updated a brief description of the contents.

Order here http://ryanmatneymagic.com/index.php/product/the-end-times-book-two/

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » May 2nd, 2019, 11:02 am

Book Two and the Extra are now shipping daily. Should be in subscribers hands soon. There is 20 tricks total in this mailing, counting the main issue and the extra!

A little more info about the extra for subscribers:

A special bonus only for subscribers of The End Times. The EXTRA is 30 pages of more magic delivered 2-3 times a year with your subscription. We are going to talk about related tricks, variations, and stuff that everyone else just can’t handle.

In this first EXTRA, you will find 11 items! I can’t reveal details about the contents here, as that would defeat the purpose of an exclusive gift for those that join the cult. But, I’ll give some hints, there is a special technique by Xavier Spade that has been previously mentioned already, called “Auto Cull,” a couple of unpublished items by me, (that’s Ryan), and a session by John Carey on an underused principle that produced some remarkable tricks.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » May 5th, 2019, 10:20 am

In about a week, I will be raising the price of subscriptions. This won't affect anyone already subscribed, only new subscribers from this time forward. The new price will be $130 for all four Books and Extras, and the individual issues will be $35.00.

I'm posting this so you have a chance to subscribe at the current price of $100 before the raise.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » May 10th, 2019, 12:15 pm

For those that have received Book Two, please let me know what you think and what items you like. And for those that have yet to subscribe, you still have time to catch the old price before the raise.

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » May 13th, 2019, 10:43 am

I received mine last week, plus the extra. In between graduation parties and Mother's day activities, I managed to at least skim through and try out a few items this weekend. Some great stuff in there, Ryan! I hope to find some quiet time this week to pore over it some more and let you know what items I liked best.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » May 21st, 2019, 3:23 pm

Thanks Rob!

The price of subscription has now increased as said above.

BUT, Thanks to a special arrangement with Richard Kaufman, I am running a new promotion. To learn how you can get my highly-praised Kaufman and Co. hardcover book Spoiler Alert, jam-packed with 50 tricks, for only $15, go here:
http://ryanmatneymagic.com/index.php/pr ... ler-alert/

CoachWest

Postby CoachWest » May 29th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Ryan Matney Delivers!!

Thank you Mr. Matney for keeping your word. I received my End Times Book #2 and Extra Book last week.

The tricks in End Times Book #2 are awesome. And, the Extra book of tricks is great!
All of the books and publications that Mr. Matney have excellent material in them.
I would encourage everyone who loves card magic to subscribe to Mr. Matney's End Times.
Even though he ran into a little snag in getting #2 out, it was worth the wait!

Thanks again!

Doug Westmoreland

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » June 5th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I second Doug's recommendation to subscribe to "End Times." Ryan's books are mainly his own material, while End Times is largely contributions from friends and colleagues, collated, written and photographed by him and augmented as needed. It is clear that Ryan heavily edits and revises the writings submitted by his friends, giving a distinct tone and uniformity to the publication. He has selected material that closely matches his own approach, and that makes it read and flow nicely (although he doesn't typically add the jokes and comments in his own books).

To me, End Times 1 and 2 share the characteristic that (to me), when I read the “Effect” description, every single one makes me think “Wow! That’s very magical!” The effect is very clear as to what is (apparently) happening. Also, these are all effects that are clearly road-tested. And each one feels that the last thing that was decided on by the creator was the sleight involved (if there is one) – and that it is selected to fit into the flow and handling of the effect. None of that “here’s a cool sleight, what can I do with it?”

CoachWest

Postby CoachWest » June 28th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Has anyone heard from Ryan Matney lately on the status of End of Times subscription Book 3?

I have emailed Ryan a couple of times but no response.

Just wondering.

CoachWest

Postby CoachWest » August 6th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Still wondering if we will ever see a Book 3 to End of Times, not to mention the extras.
I would just like to have an update on the status of the subscription.
Please Mr. Matney, let your subscribers know something. That was a lot of money to sink into just 2 softbound booklets.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Return to “Link Watch”