Mission Impossible

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Bill Mullins

Mission Impossible

Postby Bill Mullins » December 4th, 2021, 1:49 pm

From the first season:

https://archive.org/details/PDTV0232/Mission+Impossible+S01E28+The+Psychic.mp4

Jump ahead to 8:55 to see the IMF set up cold decks for a game.

Jay Ose is supposedly in this episode.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Mission Impossible

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 4th, 2021, 2:58 pm

It appears that Jay did play the part of a dealer in the Mission Impossible episode known as "The Psychic" (1967), but was uncredited, and that he also acted in quite a few other TV shows and/or movies.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0651829/
His false triple table cut is one of my favorite moves, so he comes to mind quite often, actually. It's so easy, yet so deceptive.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 4th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Jay Ose is supposedly in this episode.

I didn't spot him in it, or see his name in the credits, but I'm guessing those are his hands doing the shuffles and strip out sequences.
Genii contributor (Magicana columns) and Magic Castle member William Read Woodfield co-wrote this episode and probably got Ose involved.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 5th, 2021, 9:28 am

Richard Hatch wrote:
Bill Mullins wrote:Jay Ose is supposedly in this episode.

I didn't spot him in it, or see his name in the credits, but I'm guessing those are his hands doing the shuffles and strip out sequences.
Genii contributor (Magicana columns) and Magic Castle member William Read Woodfield co-wrote this episode and probably got Ose involved.

The theory of Bill Woodfield getting Ose involved in the MI episode that he (Woodfield) co-wrote is quite probably on the money, given Ose's long-standing stint as a resident magician at the Castle.

Back on the subject of the Jay One false triple table cut, it is intriguing to consider that the reassembly of the 3 packets deceives the eye as looking legitimate, such that it appears the cards were genuinely cut, yet, ironically, if the packets were to be reassembled in a manner that truly effectuated a genuine cut, the cut would actually look false/illegitimate. This is discussed here by Jon Racherbaumer, along with some interesting tidbits as to Jay's participation in various movies:
https://www.stevensmagic.com/2011/perso ... -jan-2010/

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 5th, 2021, 10:37 am

I may be alone on this, but I never thought the Ose cut was deceptive. To me, it just looks like what it is, and I feel that it must look like that to at least some others as well.

OTH, I know there are many who find the flustration count not deceptive, whereas I think it's a great move when done well.

I wonder why it is that some moves can have such different perceptions of effectiveness.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » December 5th, 2021, 11:45 am

Most - if not all - the movie/television participations of Jay Ose are listed in Vol. 8 #1 of Ye Olde Magic Mag, in the cover story by Mike Perovich. Mike also provided me with copies of most segments of Ose's performances on screen, but I would not be happy to share them :)
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 5th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:I may be alone on this, but I never thought the Ose cut was deceptive. To me, it just looks like what it is, and I feel that it must look like that to at least some others as well. I wonder why it is that some moves can have such different perceptions of effectiveness.

That may be a question for neuroscience, Jack, as our brains may be wired differently. Or, it may just come down to when we know the secret to, or the workings of, certain moves, they are no longer deceptive in our eyes. Obviously, there would be exceptions to this, such as the Flustration Count in your case, while others may not find it deceptive at all. (There's that different wiring again). All of this being said, I've been doing the Ose cut for many years, and have never been called on it by a layman -- and I've worked in places where they would not hesitate one second to call you on anything.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Jay Ose knew nothing about cheating or cheating moves. He was coached for all these types of appearances by Tony Giorgio.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 5th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Pedantically, if the deck is in use from the start and not switched in during the course of play, is it still technically a ‘cold deck’?

Return to “Link Watch”