Old Media: The Flim Flam Man.

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Robert77

Old Media: The Flim Flam Man.

Postby Robert77 » January 26th, 2023, 12:28 am

I just caught this again yesterday on a broadcast TV channel. I've tried to look up the channel, with no luck, but it was possibly Movies! or another popular broadcast TV channel in the western US.

It's notable for showing a few flim flams, including how a stooge interacts with the audience to effect the um...effect. I'm nt sure who did the sleights for the hands only camera shots of card handling and broad tossing. One interesting scene was a casual glimpse of the contents of the sharpers suitcase.

It's a wonderful older movie, highly recommended. I'm still humming the theme a day later.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061678/

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Re: Old Media: The Flim Flam Man.

Postby Joe Lyons » January 26th, 2023, 9:05 am

I remember reading it was Jay Ose who did the hand work in the movie, which makes sense as he had a small role in it.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » January 26th, 2023, 10:55 am

Joe Lyons wrote:I remember reading it was Jay Ose who did the hand work in the movie, which makes sense as he had a small role in it.

Just looked it up again in The Vernon Companion by Mr. Perovich.

He reports Ose also did the work in The Cinncinati Kid, another great film.

TerryTerrell
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby TerryTerrell » January 26th, 2023, 1:16 pm

Location filming was done in Lawrenceburg, KY which is 10 minutes south of the Capitol, Frankfort, and 20 minutes from Lexington. I actually picked up a couple of the display cards at an auction in Lawrenceburg. I would share a jpg, but everything is in climate control storage at the moment.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » January 26th, 2023, 1:40 pm

Joe Lyons wrote:I remember reading it was Jay Ose who did the hand work in the movie, which makes sense as he had a small role in it.

Ahh that's it. Jay Ose is also listed as "First Fertilizer Man" in the credits.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061678/fullcredits/

Gee he died fairly young, at 56.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » January 26th, 2023, 9:40 pm

I have actually been reading a fair bit about Jay Ose in a probably hard to obtain book called "Card Tricks That Get The Money" by Bill Derman. The author was a close friend of Ose and relays some interesting facts which I was grateful for since there is not much written about him.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 28th, 2023, 12:37 pm

The December 2021 issue of Marco Pusterla’s excellent Ye Olde Magick Mag, volume 8, number 1, has a well researched and written cover story on Jay Ose by Michael Perovich. A download is available here: https://yeoldemagicmag.com/downloads/vol-8-issue-1

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2023, 1:56 pm

Ose knew nothing about gambling, so Tony Giorgio coached him for The Cincinnati Kid.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 29th, 2023, 10:37 pm

TerryTerrell wrote: I would share a jpg, but everything is in climate control storage at the moment.

I keep my jpg's in climate controlled storage, too.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » January 31st, 2023, 1:44 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
TerryTerrell wrote: I would share a jpg, but everything is in climate control storage at the moment.

I keep my jpg's in climate controlled storage, too.

Darn it, Bill. Why didn’t I think of this? I think some of mine may be starting to yellow. Any suggestions on a cost effective storage unit?

JMD

Return to “Alternative Media”