Dick Zimmerman CD

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Dick Zimmerman CD

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2020, 10:23 am

I remember Zimmerman releasing a CD of classic scores that were used by magicians in their shows. I believe he played the piano on it. I understand he's a lion on the piano when it comes to ragtime music.

Does anyone know if it's still available? Or did I imagine this CD?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Dick Zimmerman CD

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 29th, 2020, 10:33 am

He definitely has CDs on the market.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2020, 11:35 am

All I see online is The Complete Works of Scott Joplin and other ragtime music. I'm looking for the CD he made where he played the piano from sheet music that was used by magicians. Houdini's Asleep in the Deep may have been one of the songs.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 29th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Here's a list of his ragtime CD's, along with contact info for his company (American Ragtime). Maybe an email sent there will prove fruitful.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Thanks Bill!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 3rd, 2020, 6:18 pm

I did a little online hunting around to see if I could find what Leonard was looking for. Regrettably, I came up dry on that score (so to speak), but I did stumble across this segment of Dick Zimmerman and his wife, Diana, performing their "Magic Circles" act on the Merv Griffin Show. This is well worth watching - magic of the highest order. Although I had heard of Dick, I had never actually seen him perform magic, and I gotta say, I was super-impressed. Creating and performing incredible magic is just another one of his talents and accomplishments - to go along with being a prolific professional musician (pianist, recording artist, arranger and producer), a graduate of Stanford University in Civil and Mechanical Engineering, and a designer of games for Mattel Toy Corporation. I'm glad I can make people laugh in my shows; otherwise, I might want to hang up my spurs after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FUQaJfEcQ

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 4th, 2020, 12:54 am

Great stuff on that video Alfred! Thanks for posting it. Zimmerman's version of the Himber Milk Pail was well done. Merv Griffin was a wonderful sponsor of magic along with Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 4th, 2020, 7:40 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:Great stuff on that video Alfred! Thanks for posting it. Zimmerman's version of the Himber Milk Pail was well done. Merv Griffin was a wonderful sponsor of magic along with Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett.

Glad you enjoyed it, Leo. Everything is just so beautifully routined. I have long felt that, whenever feasible, props being used for a trick or routine should be magically produced and then vanished after it is done. Dick and Diana were masters of doing that with the smaller props, and it greatly adds to the magicality of it all.

Return to “Alternative Media”