Psychology of Forcing according to psychologists.

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
DanZ

Psychology of Forcing according to psychologists.

Postby DanZ » February 28th, 2020, 8:17 am

An article on psychology and forcing from Gustav Kuhn (whose articles of course you read in Genii) et al. It is in the current issue of the journal Consciousness and Cognition and is available online (see link). The heading of the article reads: Forcing you to experience wonder: Unconsciously biasing people’s choice through strategic physical positioning
https://tinyurl.com/rorqy5w

Daniel Zuckerbrot

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Re: Psychology of Forcing according to psychologists.

Postby chetday » February 28th, 2020, 11:29 am

I wish there were more articles (longer and more indepth) on this topic, which I find quite interesting.

Before my wife passed away three months ago, I loved fooling her with what I guess could be called a psychological force. Here's the work. When we watched a movie on the TV, I was also usually noodling with a deck of cards. Every once in awhile, I'd comment on something about the movie and when she turned to look at me I'd move the deck in such a way that the bottom card would be viewable to her (of course I did this in such a way as to NOT draw attention to it and would do the move relatively quickly so that what I was doing was in no way obvious).

I'd just comment about the movie, moving the deck around some but trying to do so in such a way that her subconscious would subliminally note the card. Then I'd shut up for another ten or fifteen minutes before I'd repeat the process. (The details of how I showed/flashed the bottom card I've never quantified so this explanation is probably not so hot, but most of you are far better magicians than I'll ever be so I'm confident you will figure out your own methods for trying this.)

Anyway, when the movie was over, I'd riffle the cards a few times and maybe waterfall them in a skillfully flashy way (kidding, my flash dimmed decades ago), place the deck on the coffee table in front of her (after, of course, moving the bottom card to the top before the movie ended while she wasn't watching me or the deck) and then say, "Ellen, name a card that comes to mind."

Now, here's the cool thing. I did this little trick quite a few times over the past ten years or so of the 47 years we were married, and, more often than not, she would name the card that she'd seen unconsciously.

I'd then point to the deck on the coffee table and ask her to turn over the top card.

Oh me, what fun we'd both have when she'd turn over that card and find it to be the one she named!

If she named a different card, then, or course, I'd pick up the deck, run through it, take out the card she named, and then use that card to do a different trick.

For me, this sort of thing comes pretty close to real magic for the spectator, both because it's impossible to figure out how it was done and because they are the ones doing the magic.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 28th, 2020, 11:35 am

Great story and trick, Chet.

I'm sorry for your loss.

DanZ

Postby DanZ » February 29th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Hello Chet.
I'm very to sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure it most be a very difficult time for you and your loved ones. Since in your post you said that:
I wish there were more articles (longer and more indepth) on this topic, which I find quite interesting.
I thought I'd send this link to Matt Tompkins Blog (Matt is a magician and a psychologist) https://tinyurl.com/raqojhj
you'll see he has posted a bibliography of studies on magic by experimental psychologists. As well I'm including this link to Frontiers of Psycholgy who offer a number of articles which you can download as a pdf or ebook. https://tinyurl.com/wlb936s
Enjoy

Daniel Zuckerbrot

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 1st, 2020, 2:27 pm

chetday Wrote: "For me, this sort of thing comes pretty close to real magic for the spectator, both because it's impossible to figure out how it was done and because they are the ones doing the magic."

I couldn't agree more. Super-powerful! They may be impressed when we can locate a card and/or reveal it in a cool way, or even make it jump "through the deck" to the top, but they are impressed with what they perceive to be fast hands or manipulative ability. When we begin to approach what appears to be mind reading, telepathy and/or powers of prognostication, that cannot be explained by sleight of hand, it goes to a whole new level, and exponentiates the impact upon the spectator. Perhaps this explains the extraordinary power of the Invisible Deck, and even the 4-card Brainwave.

Return to “Alternative Media”