appearing cane and martial arts

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
DanZ

appearing cane and martial arts

Postby DanZ » December 7th, 2019, 9:08 pm

I'm not sure why an ad for this appeared in my FB feed but here you go, I know you've been waiting for it...
an appearing cane being marketed as a bo (staff) that can fit in your pocket.
https://tinyurl.com/vhpg5ss

Daniel Zuckerbrot

performer

Re: appearing cane and martial arts

Postby performer » December 7th, 2019, 9:21 pm

That reminds me of the time years ago that someone from Australia or New Zealand (I think) put out the dancing cane as a pitch product. It was sold as a toy and I think the guy even had the nerve to put a patent on it! It was sold and demonstrated in department stores, exhibitions etc; There was no attempt to hide the thread and in fact I don't even think a thread was used but something much stronger and it may even have been quite visible. I remember seeing it in a Dublin department store. I don't think there was much of a fuss from magicians over it although of course there was a little bit.

I do remember a grafter by the name of Eric Ward pitching zombie balls in Selfridges department store years ago and the magicians going nuts over it. He made them out of very cheap materials. He used to say "don't let if fly out of the bag otherwise you will be chasing it down Oxford Street!"

DanZ

Postby DanZ » December 8th, 2019, 7:35 am

Mark:
I remember seeing a pitch (online?) for dancing canes with visible threads as an exercise/dance/performance prop.
As a kid I never bought a zombie I straigntened out a coat hanger made a loop at one end and used a styrofoam ball.

performer

Postby performer » December 8th, 2019, 7:42 am

Maybe that was the same one............
I do know it had a very short run. It sold very well indeed and I think the guy made a quick fortune on it. I don't think it went beyond two Christmas seasons and perhaps only one.

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » December 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

They’re still being sold and popular in the festival crowd. Here’s an example: https://flowtoys.com/props/wands. Jeff McBride talks about them on his Magic at the Edge DVD set. Strictly my opinion - dancing cane is one of those tricks that the only person fooled is the person using it. :)
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

performer

Postby performer » December 8th, 2019, 10:29 am

I have always thought the secret was obvious to all and sundry.

Return to “Alternative Media”