Beetlejuice The Musical

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
James Nelson

Beetlejuice The Musical

Postby James Nelson » April 30th, 2019, 10:05 am

Broadway Hit "Beetlejuice The Musical" was nominated for at least 2 Tony Awards including Best Musical. Michael Weber is on the Creative Team along with many other great creative designers. Looks Fantastic.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Re: Beetlejuice The Musical

Postby Doug Thornton » April 30th, 2019, 10:40 am

8 nominations! Bravo. Bravo. Bravo.

https://deadline-com.cdn.ampproject.org ... 2604374%2F
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 3rd, 2023, 12:31 pm

I saw the touring production here in Huntsville yesterday. Minor spoiler alerts . . .

Pluses: The cast. Lydia in particular was excellent, as was her father. Set design is outstanding. Michael Weber's hand was obvious in a number of things that experienced magicians will recognize. The relationship as it exists at the beginning of the story between Lydia, her dad, and Delia is better defined here than it was for me in the film.

Minuses: The language was tarted up from the movie significantly. Way more sexual jokes than the film, and multiple f-bombs. The movie was a PG, but if the play were filmed, you could make a case for it being R. (I bring this up because I took my son with me, who is taking theater tech for his high school fine arts credit, and we had never seen a big musical together before. It would have been good to know going in what to expect.) Also, story changes in the script. Juno's (Sylvia Sidney from the movie) storyline and background is completely different; Beetlejuice is somewhat redeemed near the end (which is a shame; one of the joys of the film is that Beetlejuice is consistently, irredeemably bad); and Lydia does something to Beetlejuice near the end that is completely out of left field, out of line for the character (13ish year old girl) and then completely glossed over.

Overall, I'm glad we went, and would gladly recommend it to anyone else (but would warn them as above.)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 3rd, 2023, 2:19 pm

I hear the version touring through Colorado has immersive elements - very hands on experience for certain members of the audience.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 3rd, 2023, 6:53 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I hear the version touring through Colorado has immersive elements - very hands on experience for certain members of the audience.

Nothing like that in the version we saw, which was supposedly more or less the same as the Broadway version. (I understand that in the Broadway version, Adam and Barbara died by falling through the floor. In this one, they died by electric shock from faulty wiring. I can see that the change would make it easier to implement, particularly in a traveling show, by not having the technical requirements of a trap, and by being much easier to block and stage the deaths.)

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 4th, 2023, 11:10 am

Return to “Alternative Media”