Shut Eye

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Bill Mullins

Shut Eye

Postby Bill Mullins » December 25th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Has anyone seen this new series on Hulu? Is it any good?

Brad Henderson

Re: Shut Eye

Postby Brad Henderson » December 26th, 2016, 12:20 pm

I watched it.

made it through the entire season but there were a couple times when had I not continued I would have been completely ok with that decision.

the gypsies are the most engaging characters but the main focus is on a retired magician who has turned 'psychic'. The twist being that after an injury he starts to have actual visions. But he's still a con man at heart.

in many ways the show suffers from the lack of any likeable characters except perhaps for the children and the marks. Not enough time is spent on the wickedness of the wicked to make up for that. One of the female characters, an alleged hypnotist, is kind of hot and you see her naked. So there's that.

as to technique: lots of jargon and informed magi will know what's going to happen (or what actually happened) based on traditional scam concepts. They either had a decent consultant or an intern who spent a lot of time on Wikipedia.

overall I'm not unhappy I watched it, found it genuinely diverting at times, but can't imagine this becoming any sort of relevant cultural reference.

performer

Postby performer » December 26th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Naturally I have come across quite a few gypsy psychics. I am not saying they are unscrupulous of course. I shall merely say that if business was slow they would be happy to sell their children.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 26th, 2016, 1:48 pm

This reminds me of a cool Orson Welles anecdote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPsnfysrp8

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 26th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Thanks, Brad.

Return to “Alternative Media”