Young psychic impresses

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
P.T.Widdle

Young psychic impresses

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 27th, 2015, 8:33 am

performer

Re: Young psychic impresses

Postby performer » October 27th, 2015, 10:29 am

I wonder which magician taught her that! Now all she has to do is keep those demented skeptics away. Unless it was one of them that taught her it in the first place.

But the word "psychic" shouldn't be used here. Psychic ability is nothing more than heightened intuition and strong gut feelings. It isn't going to help you read blindfolded. Ironically blindfold readers would not be allowed to exhibit at psychic fairs. Fakery is not permitted. I still remember the time the Evasons tried to get a booth at a psychic fair by showing the promoter their bill divination. He was highly offended by being shown an obvious trick and did not allow them to exhibit.

Quite right too.
Last edited by performer on October 27th, 2015, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 27th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Is this the same girl who had magicians thrown out of her demonstration at a St. Louis library last year? The video is very unimpressive (aside from her youth). Keep in mind that the link touting her is a press release, not an actual news story.

performer

Postby performer » October 27th, 2015, 3:17 pm

She (or more likely her minders) was very wise to have the magicians thrown out. That is exactly what I would do if I were in her position. The trouble is that I don't see how she is going to get away with it long term. I hope she has a bit of a run though!

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » October 27th, 2015, 3:35 pm

"She just not only reads blindfolded but also rides a bicycle through traffic, dodge cars and also play games."

http://www.winspiremagazine.com/inspira ... indfolded/

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » October 27th, 2015, 4:52 pm

How does one go about identifying magicians in one's audience so they can be thrown out?

I don't especially need to do this, at the moment, but it would probably be worth knowing just in case.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 27th, 2015, 5:26 pm

performer wrote: The word "psychic" shouldn't be used here. Psychic ability is nothing more than heightened intuition and strong gut feelings. It isn't going to help you read blindfolded. Ironically blindfold readers would not be allowed to exhibit at psychic fairs.

performer,

Would those people who can demonstrate one of the abilities listed HERE also be banned from exhibiting at a psychic fair?

If so, then I don't believe I want to attend.

I mean, I would much rather see a rousing demonstration of pyrokinesis, than have some lady with heightened intuition tell me that she has a strong gut feeling that my lost cat, Mr. Whiskers, is doing ok (although that's good to know).

I myself, since early childhood, have at times been observed to possess the ability of apportation. I have mostly used coins, thimbles, or sponge rabbits to demonstrate this ability, but feel certain that if conditions were just right, I could apply this ability to a Lamborghini, the Statue of Liberty, or even a billiard ball.

I guess I would also be banned from the psychic fairs.

Bummer.

performer

Postby performer » October 27th, 2015, 5:49 pm

observer wrote:How does one go about identifying magicians in one's audience so they can be thrown out?

I don't especially need to do this, at the moment, but it would probably be worth knowing just in case.

Easy! Use your psychic ability! If you can see blindfolded sussing magicians out is a piece of cake!

I have always been able to spot magicians watching me when I sell svengali decks. They don't have to say a word. They stick out a mile. I always used to take the opportunity to abuse them with great vehemence when I saw them. Nowadays I am slightly more nicer to them. I must be mellowing.

performer

Postby performer » October 27th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
performer wrote: The word "psychic" shouldn't be used here. Psychic ability is nothing more than heightened intuition and strong gut feelings. It isn't going to help you read blindfolded. Ironically blindfold readers would not be allowed to exhibit at psychic fairs.

performer,

Would those people who can demonstrate one of the abilities listed HERE also be banned from exhibiting at a psychic fair?

If so, then I don't believe I want to attend.

I mean, I would much rather see a rousing demonstration of pyrokinesis, than have some lady with heightened intuition tell me that she has a strong gut feeling that my lost cat, Mr. Whiskers, is doing ok (although that's good to know).

I myself, since early childhood, have at times been observed to possess the ability of apportation. I have mostly used coins, thimbles, or sponge rabbits to demonstrate this ability, but feel certain that if conditions were just right, I could apply this ability to a Lamborghini, the Statue of Liberty, or even a billiard ball.

I guess I would also be banned from the psychic fairs.

Bummer.

I think most of the activities you list would be quite acceptable at a psychic fair. I don't know about the psychic surgeries though! What I am trying to point out is that promoters of fairs are very much against trickery of any kind being done at fairs. I do normal magic at psychic fairs but I am a special case and I will explain the logic of it later if anyone is curious about how I can do such a thing. It is more the psychic trickery that is objected to such as centre tears, billet switching and tools of mentalism.

Remember that most psychic counsellors are sincere people who want to help. These are the people that you will see at psychic fairs. It might be argued by sceptics that they are self deluded but that is not what I am referring to. I am saying outright after many years in the business that exhibitors at fairs, in the main, believe in their divination systems. They are not trying to scam you. They might be completely inaccurate but they are not trying to defraud you in any way.

Gypsy psychics who scam people are just not allowed to exhibit and neither are magicians who try to use trickery in their readings such as the methods outlined above. There are a few magicians at the fairs who do readings but they have to leave their tricks at home. For example I once saw at one of the larger psychic fairs a young man doing the Doc Hillford thing on a rostrum where he did something or other with billets doing readings. I forget what it was called but Doc put it out for the use of magicians. The guy was never allowed back and another promoter who was there saw the exhibition and was greatly amused by it but told me he would never allow it in his fairs.

I have already related the tale of how the Evasons tried to convince a psychic fair promoter to allow them space at a fair by doing some coding of a serial number on a bill. I was at that fair but didn't see the incident which happened at the entrance. I did know there was space available though. If they had just said they were experienced psychics they would have been given a booth immediately. Their mistake was showing the promoter a trick and insulting his intelligence trying to convince him they had "powers".

Talking about blindfold stunts one magician who did the fair circuit as a psychic offered to get the fair some newspaper publicity by doing a blindfold drive. It got great press coverage and attracted plenty of attendees but the promoter told me he would never do such a thing again. I asked him why and he informed me it was because of the trickery aspect.

I watched an interview of Mark Edward who claimed to be an undercover sceptic who did readings for money to penetrate the inner circle of the psychic world and find out what tricks they get up to. I knew that was a load of old hooey since he wouldn't have found very much at all. When he was asked directly if he had come across any psychic admitting they were fake he admitted that he hadn't but claimed it was all a "nod and wink" thing. I have been in the business for years and have never once seen this "nod and wink" thing except ironically, in the case of magicians who do readings. All I see are psychics blessing their booths before the show opens and talking about chakras and weird stuff among themselves. I have even seen them give readings to each other and in fact I have exchanged readings with them myself on occasion.

There is no deception going on whatsoever. There may well be self delusion but I have never seen the slightest sign of fraud or trickery except in the rare case of a gypsy psychic somehow getting a booth usually at one of the bigger fairs when they somehow manage to sneak by unnoticed.

No. Psychokinesis would not be allowed at a fair because people aren't stupid. They would know trickery was used and that is a no-no at psychic fairs. Sorry.

Diego

Postby Diego » October 27th, 2015, 10:36 pm

As the late Rev. Ronald Coyne was fond of quoting: "No one could work such miracles, save for G-D be with them."

BTW: Everything Mark lewis says about what happens at, and about working psychic fairs, is real-world true.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 28th, 2015, 2:18 am

I am of the mind that "psychic phenomena" and related topics should join Politics and Religion as taboo topics. No amount of discussion is going to change anyone's mind and the discourse often becomes confrontational and divisive.

I know this won't happen.

(How do I know? Hmmm.)

performer

Postby performer » October 28th, 2015, 7:13 am

It will not become confrontational and divisive if I am taking part. I am renowned for my tact and diplomacy.

Besides Widdle started the thread. Blame him.

performer

Postby performer » October 28th, 2015, 8:42 am

I have decided that this thread is not divisive and confrontational enough. I am sure this is because Brad Henderson is not here. Perhaps this might do it. I came across this and found it amusing. An argument against sceptics. Hopefully this will annoy poor old Widdle a trifle. I don't think it will though. I have found him to be a very tepid skeptic. He doesn't get red in the face and blow up with anger or huff and puff (to no avail)like Randi or Jamy Ian Swiss do. Unless Brad is here of course.

Anyway this might amuse him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ur9euf25E0

performer

Postby performer » December 22nd, 2016, 6:06 pm

I see that the other psychic thread has been locked but this one is still open. However, let me bring magic into it. Would anyone like to know how the svengali deck increases my business at psychic fairs, counter intuitive though this may sound? I do all sorts of magic at psychic fairs including Buddha through the table.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 23rd, 2016, 1:47 pm

performer wrote:I see that the other psychic thread has been locked but this one is still open. However, let me bring magic into it. Would anyone like to know how the svengali deck increases my business at psychic fairs, counter intuitive though this may sound? I do all sorts of magic at psychic fairs including Buddha through the table.

Yes, Performer, I would be interested to know...

performer

Postby performer » December 23rd, 2016, 2:26 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
performer wrote:I see that the other psychic thread has been locked but this one is still open. However, let me bring magic into it. Would anyone like to know how the svengali deck increases my business at psychic fairs, counter intuitive though this may sound? I do all sorts of magic at psychic fairs including Buddha through the table.

Yes, Performer, I would be interested to know...

It sounds crazy doesn't it? Completely counter intuitive. Against standard wisdom of mentalists (not that many of them know that much about readings anyway). And yet it is completely true. I know perfectly well that if I did not have svengali decks with me at the fairs my business would drop about 20% to 25% or so. I don't sell many decks at the fair -perhaps 7 or 8 a day but their presence is absolutely essential in order for me to get psychic business. But it isn't just the svengali deck. I am wisecracking all day and making people laugh.

I will concede that when I first started doing the fairs with this approach all hell broke loose among the psychics who were complaining all around the room about me turning the place into a circus. I suppose it didn't help when I did the svengali deck and said, "Anyone can do this, You don't have to be Houdini to do this. Which is just as well because he's dead. Mind you there is a lady over there who can get in touch with him"

I used to do the sponge balls and ask people if they could see visions in them. I said, "You've heard about crystal balls, haven't you? I use sponge balls instead. Can you see any visions in this one?" For some odd reason they always said no.

Mind you I think the Buddha through the table was the last straw. I didn't have a glass handy I am afraid.

However I am quite accepted among the psychics nowadays and I even make them smile. Mind you none of them want to work next to me! The promoters also like me because it brings a bit of amusement to the attendees and helps the fair. Mind you, I would NEVER do mentalism at these events. That would kill everything and be a very foolish policy. The height of stupidity in fact. Magic is great though!

However it is the svengali deck that brings me in business though. I will exert myself later to explain the logic behind it. I do concede that it would probably not be a good policy for anyone else to go this route. I believe it is something unique to myself for various reasons. In the meantime here is specific mention of what I am talking about. The first photograph shows the only psychic I know who uses a crystal ball. He is the famous showman Eddie Diijon who is actually a magician who has appeared on Letterman and the Paul Daniels show but he is really famous for being the King of the Flea Circus. He was on TV because of his fleas rather than his magic.

However the second photograph down shows a most illustrious person I have admired for my entire life. But note the little paragraph underneath where the writer mentions the amusement factor and the card tricks. I can assure everyone that this works and I will explain later if there is enough interest in why it works. Sound psychological reasons I assure you.

http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2014/ ... chic_fair/

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 23rd, 2016, 5:30 pm

PERFORMER WROTE: "However it is the svengali deck that brings me in business though. I will exert myself later to explain the logic behind it. I do concede that it would probably not be a good policy for anyone else to go this route. I believe it is something unique to myself for various reasons."

I will be eagerly awaiting to hear the logic behind it. Personally, I believe it is great that you bring levity to what otherwise might be a rather solemn atmosphere. Most people love to laugh and be entertained, and I would suspect that it has the effect of breaking down some psychological barriers that might otherwise exist in the would-be clientele, and acts as a catalyst to open them up.

I've gotta say though, the Buddha through the table is one for the books - love it, and can't help but chuckle when envisioning you doing it...

performer

Postby performer » December 23rd, 2016, 8:23 pm

Oddly enough I also have a large leprechaun on the booth as well as the Buddha. Alas the leprechaun is too big to go through the table. But here is the ironic thing and I even tell the clients this. They laugh when they hear it but it is actually perfectly true. The Buddha was made in Ireland and the Leprechaun was made in China! No kidding!

A crafts lady in Cork who made Buddhas sold me two but I lost one. I still have the other. I purchased the Leprechaun from a gift shop in Nova Scotia where I was also doing a psychic fair. However I see underneath the base of the Leprechaun it says "made in China"

Anyway I shall explain the psychology of the svengali deck at psychic fairs a bit later. Oddly enough they are made in China too! And of course I do the Irish version of Chinese Numerology too so it all fits in!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 23rd, 2016, 9:25 pm

Excellent conversation piece(s), and quite funny.

Perhaps the leprechaun creates the subconscious impression in potential clients that if they sit with you, you will tell them they are about to experience the proverbial luck of the Irish and/or find their pot of gold...

You could also work the leprechaun into the act (if you don't already do so) when you do magic at the fairs, by having him whisper the name of a card to you, cast a "lucky charm," or otherwise "help you out" with the trick.

performer

Postby performer » December 23rd, 2016, 10:45 pm

Oh, just saying I am an Irish psychic (which isn't actually true) helps me get business because in Canada nobody knows the difference anyway! In fact the REAL Irish keep well clear of me. However, just to say you are Irish here attracts lots of people who have Irish ancestry three times removed and that sort of thing. However, it also explains all my newspaper publicity which is on display and they are REALLY Irish. I got massive media coverage in Ireland as a psychic. Full page spreads, two page newspaper spreads galore. And radio and tv coverage. In fact I was surprised a few months ago to see an old video on the internet of me performing graphology on Irish television from the TV company archives. It must be from well over 25 years ago or so.

One psychic lady at the fairs saw my banner which says, FAMOUS IRISH PSYCHIC. and snorted, "You are not famous, you are not Irish and you are not Psychic!". Alas some people have no faith it seems.

performer

Postby performer » December 23rd, 2016, 11:03 pm

OK. Now I shall exert myself to explain the logic of what may seem illogical. Namely selling svengali decks at psychic fairs.

There is actually method to my madness. First, I get people laughing and that makes the fair itself more enjoyable for the visitors. Second, the fact that they are laughing helps me get business because they think, "this guy is fun with a great sense of humour. I think I will sign up with him" I actually get quite serious once the reading starts but to get people to sign up in the first place I become a combination of magician, comedian and pitchman. And psychic too of course. It does make a refreshing change in comparison to the other more serious, although equally talented readers.

Second, other psychics have only one or two people in front of them when they try to sell their services. I will have perhaps 5 to 10. I can't go in too strong and get 20 to 30 people around me although I am quite capable of doing so. However, it would create too much distraction at a psychic fair. But of course even 5-10 people is more than the one or two that other psychics gather. And of course the odds of selling the readings are increased significantly. Although I am doing a magic trick they see the comment book, they see the newspaper articles and they see the display of New Age stuff on the table so they do know I am a psychic, albeit a rather eccentric one. And they figure that since this guy seems to be a master of his magic trade he may well be a master of the psychic stuff too. I do mix in some psychic advertising among the magic such as suddenly in the middle of a trick saying, "I do psychic readings too, in case you were wondering" That gets a laugh. But I then get another laugh by pointing out the comment book ( a great promotional tool where satisfied clients write in their comments) and say "look at all the comments. I was up all night writing them so at least have a look at them". That gets a massive laugh. And of course some people DO look at them even if they aren't interested in the card trick!

Third, I sell svengali decks while at the fair which of course generates a certain amount of revenue in itself. But more importantly it gets people into a buying mood where they actually part with money and this encourages them to spend more money on a reading. I will often say to someone "Do you want to buy a deck of these?" and they will reply, "No, but I would like a reading" I often say when doing the svengali deck, "This is very easy to do. You don't have to be Houdini to do it. Mind you, that's just as well because he's dead!" That gets a laugh but I proceed further by continuing by saying, "Mind you, there's a lady down there who can get in touch with him for you" pointing to one of the mediums. This gets another big laugh.

I do get sceptical magicians and mentalists who have no idea how I operate expressing horror that I do magic tricks, and sell svengali decks at psychic fairs. That is because they don't know how to think out of the box and usually know nothing about the psychic business anyway.

However, here is my trump card and the main reason I do the svengali deck. At the end of the demonstration I say, "There is no skill required. Try it in your own hands" But as they do I suddenly grab their hand, look at it and recite a few palmistry lines according to what I see in their hands. 30 seconds of it at the most. Then I suddenly stop and say, "If I tell you any more it will cost you money" More laughs. However, it is a fifty/fifty chance that the person will be so impressed with that 30 second reading that they will immediately sign up for something more in depth.

I can assure you that everything is well thought out and done for a reason. It also makes a psychic fair more bearable for me as it can be a very stressful business reading people and dealing with their problems for perhaps 10 hours or so. Psychic fairs are quite long hours. Now I am not suggesting that anyone else should follow my way of working and in fact I don't think it would work for anyone else. After all I have a background as a professional grafter, pitchman and what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for anyone else. I just thought that once and for all I would explain the logic of what I do since I do get tired of magicians telling me that I shouldn't sell svengali decks at psychic fairs.

Now mentalism is a different story. If I saw anyone doing mentalism at a psychic fair I would protest strongly and even complain to the fair promoter and get it stopped. Mentalism is trickery and to me is using deception to promote a belief in the reader's psychic ability. Psychic fair promoters do not like it one bit. Magic, on the other hand is a fun thing and entertains the attendees and more importantly entertains me and keeps me sane and moreover gets me business I wouldn't get otherwise.

Anyway there you are. Now you know.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2016, 4:13 am

Brilliant - both your underlying reasoning and your ability to articulate that reasoning. You are a gifted writer, and I am sure that I am not alone in recognizing what a gift you are to this Forum, even if that recognition is infrequently as demonstrative as my own. I would add that it is impossible to be an excellent writer without being an excellent thinker, given that writing (and of course, speaking) are, at bottom, the verbalization of thought. And I am impressed by the way you think, which as you described, is definitely out of the box.

When you get people laughing, as you obviously have a talent for doing, it breaks down the invisible barriers they have, and cultivates familiarity - not the kind that breeds contempt, but rather the kind that builds a connection and makes people feel like they know you - and when they feel they know you, they are far more likely to feel comfortable and trust you than would otherwise be the case. Laughter is therapeutic, and there are obvious advantages that accrue to you when you make people feel better. I personally use a lot of comedy (both planned and improvised), as well as light-hearted banter and interaction with the audience, in my shows, and I probably wouldn't even want to be a performer without it.

Your use of the Svengali pitch at the fairs is exceedingly resourceful on several levels, i.e. it draws more people (potential clients) to you, gives you both the opportunity to use the above-mentioned humor and interaction to get people relaxed, and to build rapport and trust, provides you the chance and excuse to give a quick palm reading, which in turn sells a formal one, relieves and mitigates your own stress levels, and is profitable in its own right - all of which you have already explained quite lucidly. You were not kidding when you said there was a sound logical basis for something which, at first blush, seems counter-intuitive. Your understanding of human nature has clearly served you well. I have long been of the opinion that applied psychology will go a long way toward ensuring the success of a magical entertainer, and the same would appear to be true in the psychic realm.

I am surprised that many magicians have advised against you demoing/selling the deck and doing magic tricks at the fairs. You have wisely ignored these misguided admonitions, as they are tantamount to a psychic advising you how to structure and present your magic routines and as to what kind of moves, patter and lines you should use.

Do you ever encounter protests or resentment from other psychics at the fairs due to your pitching the Svengali and/or performing magic? That is to say, have you run up against anyone who perceives your magical/Svengali endeavors as an innapropriate means of increasing your business at their expense, or as activities running counter to what they believe the decorum of a psychic fair should be? i would not be surprised if the answer is no, as from what you have described, your psychic contemporaries appear to be a rather tolerant, benevolent and enlightened lot.

i think that in the final analysis, and consistent with what I know you believe about magic, applies equally to being a psychic, as it does to so many pursuits in life - you are selling YOU...

performer

Postby performer » December 24th, 2016, 7:39 am

Thank you Alfred for your analysis of my analysis. Particularly your kind remarks about my writing ability. Perhaps I should have pursued a career as a writer but I suspect they do tend to starve even more than magicians do. I suppose I could force myself to write books about new age subjects as my good friend Richard Webster does and make a fortune but to be frank I would find the subject matter very dull and I would be bored stiff.

However, it appears that I DID write a book on these matters without knowing about it! The book was slanted for magicians rather than for public consumption. But somebody wrote it for me but I never knew a thing about it! I went to London in 2010 to do a lecture for International Magic on these subjects when one of the attendees shyly presented me with a great thick book filled with utterances I have made about these matters on closed internet mentalism forums and elsewhere. It was a massive book. He had compiled it himself for his own use although I am not sure if he ever used any of it. I suppose he must have done. I was astonished at the time he must have put into it. It must have taken him months if not years. In addition to the hard copy he also sent me the entire thing which I still have on my computer. He told me that I would be welcome to put it into book form and publish it. He didn't want a penny if I did so; the only thing he requested in return would be for me to give him credit for compiling the whole thing into book form. I would certainly do that with great enthusiasm if I ever put it into print. Maybe one day. I suspect it would be one of the most valuable treatises ever written for magicians on this subject. Alas the gentleman who put the thing together passed away.
He went by the screen name of "Apprentice" on the Buskers Cafe which is now no more. He was a very shy, quiet and modest man and I have quite forgotten his name although I do have it on the document he sent me. One day I may put the whole thing into print. Who knows?

And yes. Most certainly at the beginning of my psychic fair career the psychics were up in arms at this strange character who appeared in their midst. In fact at the very first fair I did they actually felt sorry for me on the opening day when I set up and were terribly kind and loving until the moment when I got to work! They got the shock of their lives with complaints galore to the promoters of the fair! After all sweet new age types aren't terribly used to street wise carnie types like myself! I really will have to tell the tale of all hell breaking loose among the psychics when I first started. I will relate it after the weekend when I have time if anyone is interested. It really is quite hilarious. One veteran psychic lady growled at me once, "Psychics and Magic don't mix" but later on she was as good as gold and I got on remarkably well with her. She was my immediate neighbour and I felt her glaring at me with great malevolence for the first day or so. I almost thought she wanted to put a hex on me. But these New Age people are kind hearted souls and eventually she softened up and became very friendly to me.

However, that was a long time ago. I am quite accepted by them all nowadays as they are are used to me by now and I see them occasionally smiling at my antics.

A lot different from the rougher atmosphere when I have been pitching svengali decks away from the psychic world. I still remember a disgruntled vendor at a street market throwing a knife at me and embedding itself into the table a few inches from my hands! He didn't like my loud voice and the size of my crowds! At least the psychics only stared daggers at me rather than literally throwing them!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2016, 4:38 pm

That's great, Performer! It appears that your razor-sharp wit has put you on the cutting edge...

performer

Postby performer » December 24th, 2016, 8:04 pm

As long as the edge doesn't cut me I don't mind!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Indeed, Mate!

performer

Postby performer » December 24th, 2016, 9:20 pm

Mind you, I have seen the odd ruckus at psychic fairs. I do remember an elderly lady psychic taking exception to a young male psychic who she deemed was taking away all her business so she entered his booth and began to beat him up. Alas he couldn't fight back otherwise he would have been accused of assaulting elderly women!

However, my favourite psychic fair ruckus is described in my most worthy memoirs, "The Lives of a Showman". Here it is:

............................................................................................................................................................................................

I went to Vancouver to do a psychic fair and witnessed a most astonishing incident that amused me greatly. I heard an awful commotion and looked in the aisle to see what was going on. I was amazed to see two women wrestling on the floor. I was even more aghast to see that one of the protagonists was a middle-aged psychic lady who had rented a booth at the fair. To add to my astonishment when I looked closely at the other party to the wrestling match it became obvious that it was a man dressed as a woman!

I began to think I was seeing things and stood there in great wonderment at what I was witnessing. My fun however came to an end when the rather large and well-built lady promoter came along and separated the two warriors and peace reigned once again.

It seems that the cross-dresser came in to the fair the day before and had a reading from a particular psychic. When he/she got home it was discovered that the audio tape supplied with the session wasn’t working properly and the sound quality was incomprehensible. This is a problem that occasionally crops up for psychics who give out tapes with the readings. Most of them usually give out a leaflet explaining their services and the leaflet will tell the client that the tape is given only as a courtesy and the psychic cannot be responsible for a bad recording. I personally take this a little further and inform the client that they can have a free astrology book as compensation.

The cross dresser was unhappy with the situation and came in to confront the psychic the following day. However, that day she was ill and her booth was empty. The frustrated client became even more frustrated when discovering this and asked someone where the psychic was. He was informed of the lady’s illness but was also told that another psychic at the fair was a close friend and they travelled together.

He/she then approached the friend and, venting his frustration, demanded his money back. This particular psychic took umbrage at the tone and told her/him in no uncertain terms that the matter was not her responsibility and basically told him to buzz off. Before long the argument escalated and ended up in the wrestling match on the floor that delighted me so greatly.

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » December 25th, 2016, 4:33 am

Mark,

Have you ever refused a payment after a reading?

performer

Postby performer » December 25th, 2016, 4:57 am

Never! But then the matter has never come up. However, I have indeed given readings for free on very rare occasions if I find someone is absolutely desperate for help. Including quite recently come to think of it. I am afraid the psychic business has softened me up considerably.

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » December 25th, 2016, 5:02 am

Were you just providing free readings at the moment or did you sense something from that one individual prior to doing a reading?

performer

Postby performer » December 25th, 2016, 5:33 am

Free readings are a rarity with me but once in a very blue moon a circumstance appears where it becomes obvious that I will have to deal with a certain situation if I am going to be able to sleep at night.

However, I will do close up impromptu magic for free ANY time, day or night!

performer

Postby performer » December 17th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I just came across this. I must be getting old. I don't remember this article at all. I don't recall a thing about it. I suppose it must have happened though.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toro ... 6970318577

Return to “Alternative Media”