New Houdini play in NYC (50% off tickets)

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

New Houdini play in NYC (50% off tickets)

Postby JohnCox » February 20th, 2014, 10:48 am

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but The Axis Theatre Company in New York is staging a new Houdini play, NOTHING ON EARTH (CAN HOLD HOUDINI). The play was put together with the help of the mighty Bill Kalush of the Conjuring Arts Reseach Center. It's about Houdini's involvement with spiritualism.

Now Axis is offering readers of my blog 50% off tickets for the first 8 performances, February 27-March 8. Click below and get the promo code and go wild!

Promo code here:
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014/02 ... earth.html

Axis Theatre Company
http://www.axiscompany.org/mainstage.htm
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

NYCJoePItt

Re: New Houdini play in NYC (50% off tickets)

Postby NYCJoePItt » March 1st, 2014, 4:19 pm

I saw the opening night performance of Nothing On Earth Can Hold Houdini. As a magician and an avid theater-goer, I unfortunately can not find much to recommend about it :? The play was written and directed by the artistic director Randall Sharp at Axis Company. It focused on Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in their search through the world of mediums as they battle their own demons and process their friendship. There is not really any magic performed in the show. I found the writing to be a bit repetitive in the first act and all the tableaus in the second act confusing. The character of Mina was perhaps the most interesting. Unfortunately the seance was such a mess that when it was all over my partner and I walked out scratching our heads asking each other "what happened?" And neither of us could figure it out, lol. Not recommended.

Return to “Alternative Media”