Interesting Article Concerning Guitar Trademarks

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
P.T. Murphy

Interesting Article Concerning Guitar Trademarks

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 10th, 2010, 4:52 pm

I was thinking about the world of magic while reading this article. It might not be for everybody, but you guitar geeks out there might enjoy. I hope I post this correctly. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... signs.aspx
"Those who do not believe in magic
will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

AJM

Re: Interesting Article Concerning Guitar Trademarks

Postby AJM » December 10th, 2010, 6:19 pm

As a keen, albeit hack, guitar player I found the article very interesting indeed.

Given my hack status, I recalled an old French & Saunders sketch which I hadn't seen for a while and which I feel is quite relevant to guitar players of my standard.

The Easy Play Guitar Book

Cheers

Andrew

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 10th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Also being a member of the KAH guitar player club (as well as the too-many-guitars-amps-and-effects club), I found the article to be very interesting and the skit, hilarious. Luckily, in my day job I do get to hang out with some great musicians.

The article has many implications for that consummate gentlemen and country squire, Jeff Busby, Esq., who has spent much time harassing people selling Cups for the Cups and Balls. He claims he owns the design for the Paul Fox cups. Many would dispute this for many reasons (e.g., can he show a chain of title from Paul Fox), but as the guitar article makes clear, if Fender and Gibson can't do it for the Stratocaster and the Les Paul, respectively, how can Busby do it for cups that look more like Thermos mugs than anything else.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » December 11th, 2010, 11:48 am

Interesting article, especially for a rabid air guitarist like me. I like the Busby invocation, Bob.

Here's a piece of trivia that may be of interest.

Question: Who owns the very first commercially produced Fender Stratocaster, with serial number 001?

Answer: David Gilmore

As an aside, on 12/3/10, my wife and I experienced Roger Water's performance of his masterpiece, The Wall at the Oracle Arena in Oakland. Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters) is my favorite band and The Wall is my favorite album.

The sound, visual effects, technical prowess and a surprisingly endearing Roger Waters conspired to create the best concert I've ever attended. My wife wept. I swooned and drooled. Neither Broadway nor Vegas can hold a Bic lighter to this show. Check it out before the hammers batter down your door.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 11th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Gilmore's daughter washes her clothes in my washing machine at the moment.

FACT.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » December 11th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Damian,

No way! PM me! Gimme details!

I'd love to hang with you and yours when you're in SF in January. I turn 51 on the 19th. Finally, I can rationalize being one card short of a full deck.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 11th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Details of her knickers? I think that would be unfair.

:)

I will get in touch when dates are all booked. Love to have a beer with ya.

D

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 11th, 2010, 3:34 pm

In that same issue of Premier Guitar, which surprisingly is a nice mag, there is an article on Snowy White, who is playing guitar in Waters' current band. White interestingly enough did a short stint in Thin Lizzy, filling the ever rotating second guitar spot that our man Gary Moore filled more than once.

A side note: My new favorite guitar mag is called Fretboard Journal. It is a quarterly and contains some of the best interviews I have read in any mag. And the photos are great!

Happy KAH Holidays!

AJM

Postby AJM » December 11th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Ahh - the great rock'n'roll merry go round.

At the time Snowy White was recruited to join Lizzy, he was credited as having worked previously with Pink Floyd as a supporting musician, so that would explain his current role within Waters' band.

White did a fine job with Thin Lizzy, I saw them perform during that spell. Which reminds me, long-time band members Scott Gorham, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton have re-incarnated Lizzy as a 6-piece and I think they will be performing in Glasgow in January. I might go along to hear some of the old tunes again.

Yes, they did have second guitarists coming and going as if through a revolving door - Eric Bell, Brian Robertson, Gary Moore, Snowy White and John Sykes to name but a few.
A little less known fact was that Scotland's own Midge Ure (of Band Aid, Rich Kids & Ultravox fame) was drafted in as a second guitarist for a spell after one of the others was sacked midway through a US tour.

Keep on rockin

Andrew

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 11th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Robbo and Gorham are still my favs. But I am a big fan of Phil Lynott, so any incarnation of Lizzy is good by me.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 11th, 2010, 8:58 pm

A couple of picks for you pickers:

1. Joe Bonamassa at Royal Albert Hall DVD.

2. http://debbiedavies.com/merch_hc.html

Debbie rocks.

3. http://www.dannygatton.com/Discography/deuces.html

--especially "Sky King" which, because I also play sax, and King Curtis is my favorite sax player, manages to combine fantastic guitar and an amazing sax tribute.

Also, the Danny Gatton instructional DVDs are amazing. The man was a God.

I just watched the "It Might Get Loud" doc with Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White. What Jimmy Page is doing with these two guys is a mystery (he was also the producer). Jack White has one riff and one sound -- and the Edge is just boring. How these two guys qualify as guitar gods can only mean the standard has been dropped considerably. Jimmy--what are you doin' my man!?

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 13th, 2010, 11:46 am

Bonamassa at Royal Albert was on PBS last night.

WOW!

And that Gibson Gold Top he is playing is just too sweet for words! http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... -Paul.aspx

I think we have stumbled onto something here. In order to have a civilized discussion of guitars and our favorite players, one needs to go to the magic forums.

I wonder if this would work in reverse? Can we go to a guitar forum and have a discussion about magic? I bet we could, and we could avoid the people that just want to bring everybody down.

Now Mr. Farmer, about the Edge being boring...If I were a drinking man I would have invite you out for a pint of Guinness to discuss this one. :)

The three guys that come to my mind as far as the ability to push the envelope sonically and have something interesting to say are Andy Summers, Alex Lifeson and the Edge. I am talking guys that have had a great deal of commercial success. There are other underground guys out there, but these three have always been my favs.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 13th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Alex Lifeson has my vote. Actually, in the interests of full disclosure, I know Alex, so my vote is probably prejudiced. Andy Summers is definitely a key guy, especially for his cool chord voicings. The Edge's attraction baffles me, but I'll admit he has some cool delay ideas (so maybe the Echoplex should get the award).

I spent Sunday afternoon watching a couple of Danny Gatton Hot Licks videos. There is nothing the Edge could do to even come close, so boozed up or not, you'll never convince me.

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 13th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Let it be known that Danny Gatton IS A MONSTER!!! And let's not forget Albert Lee! Holy Christ! I saw him YEARS ago when Carl Perkins and the Everly Brothers were touring together. Great double bill and Albert Lee had a solo spot during the Everly's set. YIKES!!!

My take on U2 is that it is EDGE and the cadre of producers they employ, that are the real geniuses. The rest just look good on stage. But I don't want to do any arm twisting.

BUT there are many rooms in the house of music. So to each his own.

Until next time you can find me in the Gibson suite, rolling around naked in a pile of 1959 Les Paul Sunbursts...

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 13th, 2010, 4:39 pm

And let's not forget Mike Bloomfield and Roy Buchanan. Sadly, along with Gatton, all these guys are dead.

There was an article in Guitar Player a few years ago where they compared an $8,000 Les Paul Standard to the $800 Epiphone version. Naturally, they said the Gibson sounded better--but if the Epiphone was upgraded it might sound pretty good.

Weirdly, within days I ended up with the very Epiphone model they reviewed (though I paid $300 for it--it was in mint condition and had never been played).

So, using some contacts I have, I managed to gather together all the Gibson parts I needed (pickups, electronics, pots, etc., etc., even the plastic pickguard)

I then had my luthier (Rainbow Music, Cornwall) strip everything off the Epiphone that wasn't wood and replace it all with the real Gibson parts.

The guitar sounds amazing. If you want a list of parts etc., send me an email to trickmail@cogeco.ca

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » December 13th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Okay back to magic...

I hate Criss Angels new hairdo!

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » December 13th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Well we can't leave out Hendrix - or SRV, or for that matter, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Steve Morse, Buddy Guy, Al DiMeola, Larry Coryell..... during a time when I was being blown away by Goshman and Slydini.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 13th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Re. the link to the skit above - I'm sure Lerxst would've had a field day had he been involved...

Cheers

Andrew

AJM

Postby AJM » February 6th, 2011, 1:50 pm

With regard to the guitar 'skit' link above, 'tis sad to report that Gary Moore passed away today, aged 58.

AJM

Return to “Alternative Media”