Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

Postby Doug Thornton » February 14th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Since there have been just 7 new posts total since about 12 hours ago - I guess Sunday's quieter here since the pros are out working gigs or recovering from Saturday night's gigs, and others do most of their posting while in their day jobs - I thought I'd mention the opening ceremonies at the Olympics in Vancouver Friday night.
The producers succeeded in not trying to top the China opening; they kept it intimate on a grand scale. Most of it was engaging. I didn't care for the Bryan Adams song - it was overly commercial and cheery. The effects, however, were fascinating. It was like someone had a giant iPhone or Tablet and controlled the stage. It was also very cool to hear Canadian Donald Sutherland narrate.
And how enthralling was the flying piece? The young boy performer was well cast and the new version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" as accompaniment was absolutely beautiful.
Yes, we saw the cables - I know that was discussed regarding the Beijing ceremony - but it was stunning. And yes, there were echoes of David Copperfield's "Flying". (Even the boy's costume, with the white t-shirt covered by the unbuttoned shirt - was it blue? - was similar.)
Nevertheless, it was worth watching.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Bob Farmer

Re: Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

Postby Bob Farmer » February 14th, 2010, 8:06 pm

I've never had any interest in sports (but I like sports movies), so the Olympics is not something I'm interested in. I did watch a bit of the opening ceremony and -- with one exception -- it was a gaudy, mindless pastiche of stupid Canadian stereotypes, terrible music and goofy dancing. The one exception: the filmed segment of the snowboarder tearing down a mountain.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » March 1st, 2010, 11:23 pm

i usually only watch figure skating, curling and hockey.
but i never thought i'd be watching nordic, biathalon
or cross county or even bobsleigh...
i watched more than before.
maybe because it was in OH Canada!
but whatever it was I was glued to watching the biathlon
while being an eliptical.

This summer there will be the first
Youth Olympics in Singapore
and in two years the first Winter Youth
Olympics in Innsbruck
that should be interesting.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Gord

Postby Gord » March 2nd, 2010, 2:45 pm

Bob Farmer wrote: I did watch a bit of the opening ceremony and -- with one exception -- it was a gaudy, mindless pastiche of stupid Canadian stereotypes, terrible music and goofy dancing.

Bob
The closing ceremonies would have had you clawing your eyes out. I liked it though.

Gord

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 2nd, 2010, 3:05 pm

Gord wrote:
Bob Farmer wrote: I did watch a bit of the opening ceremony and -- with one exception -- it was a gaudy, mindless pastiche of stupid Canadian stereotypes, terrible music and goofy dancing.

Bob
The closing ceremonies would have had you clawing your eyes out. I liked it though.

Gord

I kind of doubt they had Bob and Doug McKenzie host the event.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm

Unfortunately, the closing ceremonies completely overshadowed the only Canadian sporting event I do like -- the running of the bears in Moosejaw.

Patterned after Spain's famous event, it takes a Canadian spin by using hibernating bears that have been dragged out of their caves, shot up with massive doses of adrenaline and released to chase young men through the streets. It's a tradition that goes back to a time before Canada had schools (pre-1997) -- back then there was a need to keep young people occupied and also to get rid of a few of then so the healthcare system wouldn't be subject to long waits.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2010, 4:23 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Unfortunately, the closing ceremonies completely overshadowed the only Canadian sporting event I do like -- the running of the bears in Moosejaw.

I'd rather see the running of the mooses in Bearjaw.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » March 2nd, 2010, 5:10 pm

moosejaw

i love shopping at that store too.
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

Return to “Alternative Media”