iPhone Magic idea

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Adam Brooks
Posts: 166
Joined: March 13th, 2008, 8:57 am
Location: Boston, MA

iPhone Magic idea

Postby Adam Brooks » September 15th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I have what I believe to be a good idea for an iPhone magic effect. However, I possess none of the requisite programming knowledge to make it a reality. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or even in a direction?

Many thanks,

Adam

User avatar
Richard Kaufman
Posts: 25640
Joined: July 18th, 2001, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand
Location: Washington DC
Contact:

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 15th, 2009, 11:32 pm

Contact Ben Harris at ben@wowbound.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4242
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby mrgoat » September 16th, 2009, 2:48 am

Adam Brooks wrote:Hey everyone,

I have what I believe to be a good idea for an iPhone magic effect. However, I possess none of the requisite programming knowledge to make it a reality. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or even in a direction?

Many thanks,

Adam


www.freelancers.net

magicbar
Posts: 182
Joined: March 13th, 2008, 2:55 am

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby magicbar » October 16th, 2009, 12:24 am

Check out on the iTunes Store (apple.com) there is a link on submitting Apps to Mac.

good luck

Jonathan Townsend
Posts: 8357
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 16th, 2009, 1:42 pm

kinda tough to sell a trick as magical if it's using your phone in some obvious and contrived way rather than using their phone and a trick site on the web.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4242
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:kinda tough to sell a trick as magical if it's using your phone in some obvious and contrived way rather than using their phone and a trick site on the web.


Seen the Penn and Teller app Mr T?

It's very magical.

Jonathan Townsend
Posts: 8357
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 16th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Yes Damian and I also watched the video of its launch. IMHO those who use chat will ask "hey what the heck is this fake chat client" and those who don't will struggle as per the video. Then you get the nerds who will check what chat client it is.

Then you get the realists who want an equivalent for the windows and android operating systems.

Hey, can I borrow your phone? ummm no. Over to the next person ... Can I use your phone? um... heck no. It's got my contacts and financial information on it.

But sure it plays well at the bar or at magic conventions so that what counts for now.

The one that had me concerned was "That's okay just click me to their session I've already got a chat open."

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4242
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: iPhone Magic idea

Postby mrgoat » October 17th, 2009, 6:47 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Yes Damian and I also watched the video of its launch. IMHO those who use chat will ask "hey what the heck is this fake chat client" and those who don't will struggle as per the video. Then you get the nerds who will check what chat client it is.


I've tried it in the real world on friends and, to be honest, 90% of the time it slays. Because I actually DO know Teller, and many of my friends know this, it is believable he would do a trick with me via SMS. Also, my acting helps carry it. "Oh hang on, what time is it in Vegas now? Oh that's cool, he won't have started the show yet, let's try this..."

It does look and feel exactly like the real sms application. It's clever.

However, I really want to see an augmented reality app for it.


Return to “Alternative Media”