Ian Kendall’s Magic Show - Edinburgh Fringe

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
thecardman

Ian Kendall’s Magic Show - Edinburgh Fringe

Postby thecardman » August 14th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Ian Kendalls Magic Show
Caf Royal, Edinburgh 17:20 every day

I had the pleasure of going to see Ians current show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival yesterday and what a cracking show hes got on this year.

Starting with his now familiar one-coin routine, including his penchant for talking about gravity, Ian was immediately at ease with his audience. The great thing about the show that I saw was that his audience was also immediately at ease with him. I think it is safe to say that I was the only magician in the audience, so it was great to see Ian working for an audience of lay people.

The show, which lasted about an hour, also included a very quick Magic Square, an excellent missing card routine, a multi-phase rope routine incorporating amongst others Professors Nightmare and Cut and Restored, Deans Box (the first time Ive seen it live and I was fooled, badly!) and a well presented burnt note routine.

My personal highlight was Ians presentation of Smashed and Stabbed, the Russian Roulette-style routine using 4 small plinths with a very sharp upward pointing spike on one of them. Every time he smashed his hand down, the whole audience took a loud, sharp intake of breath in fear of what might have happen or may still happen.

An excellent show that, if you are in Edinburgh, you should try to go and see. Highly recommended.

Peter
:)

Return to “Alternative Media”