Optical Illusions

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jon Racherbaumer

Optical Illusions

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » January 2nd, 2003, 3:01 pm

Let me post an example of alternative media, although this one is also a BOOK. Check out THE GREAT BOOK OF OPTICAL ILLUSIONS by Al Seckal (304 pages-Firefly Books-$24.95). This is an excellent compilation with many color photographs. You will also find pics of our Jerry Andrus on p. 143.

Steve Hook

Re: Optical Illusions

Postby Steve Hook » January 2nd, 2003, 3:29 pm

Jon,

Gotta tell you about Tuesday night's real-life optical illusion and/or magic trick:

I'm driving in the left lane on I-4 in the rain. The wipers are on.

The truck in front of me taps his brake lights. At the same time, the wiper comes down across my sightline to the brake lights.

Simultaneously, the truck's brake lights go off but the truck in the right lane taps HIS brake lights. 1/10th of a second later, the wiper goes to the bottom of its arc, clearing my sightline.

The disturbing effect? A vehicle with its brake lights on jumped from one lane to the other in 1/10th of a second. :eek:

I thought I was seeing "Taken" in real life.

Steve H

Stefano

Postby Stefano » January 2nd, 2003, 4:27 pm

James Hodges write an entire book about optical illusion Livre loeil Optique here you can find the link http://www.magies.com/catalog.php?idpa= ... ce&id=1831 I think it is only available in French.

If you are interested you can see also some nice work from a Swiss artist Sandro Del Prete http://www.del-prete.ch/ he has a very nice work in his book Illusoria one of them is about playing cards.

Another of my favourite and probably the best is Maurits Cornelis Escher, go on Google and type M.C. Escher and you will have an entire day of fun :)

Cheers
Stefano

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 2nd, 2003, 5:39 pm

I've seen the book by James Hodges on the use of optical illusions in magic and it's terrific: but expensive! About $92.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2003, 4:14 pm

I have to jumpin and say I LOVE M.C. ESCHER!!!!! and also I loved Taken... anyone else really get into that series? Anyway sorry for the off topic... please continue with your regular scheduled programing.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2003, 3:01 pm

There is a very nice deck of cards, produced by US Games, called, coincidentally enough, "Optical Illusions Playing Cards."

There are 54 different illusions, and the deck contains all four suits, Aces through Kings. It is a two way deck, of typical Carta Mundi quality, but unfortunately lack borders.

--Randy Campbell

Return to “Alternative Media”