Ascanio Volume 2-Studies of Card Magic

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Ascanio Volume 2-Studies of Card Magic

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2006, 3:19 pm

As usual, Jamy was more than right (September Genii) about The Magic Of Ascanio. Volume Two of the Ascanio card trilogy (compiled and written by Jesus Etcheverry) was more than worth the wait. I was the first in line to buy the book after Rafael Benatar's wonderful Magic Castle lecture on Sunday.

The 310-page book is one for study, not just for the tricks, but for understanding numerous principles of magic as a whole. It is fun to be introduced to many of the Ascanio spread variants and handlings.

Not to mention the double lay-down, several Oil & Water routines, Aces With Love (a 27-page Ascanio take on Vernon's Slow Motion Aces, The Trick I Showed Dai Vernon (his version of Daley's Last Trick), not to mention The Torn and Restored Card of Marlo and LePaul (and I just finally learned Lovick's Reformation, although a different effect).

Do yourself a favor and check it out. Thank you Jesus and Rafael for translating.

p.s. Rafael said that the book will not be generally available for another five or six weeks.

p.s.s. And then to Volume three More Studies of Card Magic which will feature two of Ascanio's closely guarded routines The Restless Lady (four versions) and Bill simon's Call to the Colors, plus All Backs, Mental Card Miracle, Collins Aces, and more.

Re: Ascanio Volume 2-Studies of Card Magic

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Hi Sam,

I was also there on Sunday. When I saw he only had ten copies sitting on the table I thought to myself (seated back several rows) that's quite a few aisles to dive and leap over!! Success!!! I couldn't agree more with Jamy and yourself as to the quality of the book and to the material, I'm sure. All four volumes (eventually) will be a wonderful addition to the libary.

What I'm most interested in studying is how Ascanio applied his "structural conception of magic" (volume one) theories to these routines, and how I can apply those lessons to my own magic. His first book has really made me re-evaluate my routines from a "cover" and "presentational" standpoint. The biggest lesson I walked away from after re-reading volume one was to never, ever, stop thinking about your routines...that there is always room for improvement, minor as it may be.

I'm looking forward to the threads about the new volume as more folks acquire the book.

Glen

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Hi, Glen! Thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about fighting for your copy. I was prepared to do what it took. :D to get my copy. I'm not sure if I needed to worry. I'm beginning to wonder how cheap a lot of magicians are(?) This, after paying several bucks for the book The Magic of (Francis) Carlyle (it's in the Castle library). At least I can do card tricks at the poor folks home.

I'm still digesting volume one as well.

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Just came accross this thread and had to laugh. I purchased volumes 1 and 2 last night. I'm looking forward to their arrival. I'll never forget my astonishment at his beautiful effects when I saw him perform them at a Las Vegas Desert Magic Seminar in the early 80's.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » October 10th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Due to an error while lecturing in the US last month, I sent a copy of Ascanio Vol. 2 to somebody who had already bought it at my lecture. That copy is for sale. First come first served. You would have to send a cheque for $60 to me (c/o a NY address I'd give you), and another cheque for $5 to the person who has it, for shipping. You should get it in a couple of days. Please post here to clinch it, and then PM me for details.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » October 17th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Sold.

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Hey guys, got the book as soon as it came out and i really would like to thank you Mr. Benatar for opening my eyes to a man who placed so much importance into really thinking about magic and how it should be structured and presented. The illustrations are beautifull and the explanations to the effects are quite possibly the most thorough i have ever read. The physical book itself is impressive too. It's nice to pick up a book and not feel like it's going to fall apart. Each and every chapter is taking me forever to go through because it's jammed with great new info that i never really thought out. I especiall like Chapter 2 for the laydowns of doubles. I can see that this book will keep me busy for quite some time and i'll be holding my breath for the final book. Thanks again.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » December 5th, 2006, 11:36 pm

Hi Ozzie. Good to hear. Please don't forget to give credit to Jess Etcheverry for his monumental compiling and re-writing effort. BTW, if someone needs a copy I can have one sent from the US (to the US) at $60 postpaid. Just PM me.

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2006, 11:53 am

My deepest thanks to Jess Etcheverry also then. Thank you both very much.

Return to “Alternative Media”