magic in the future?

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

magic in the future?

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2003, 9:45 pm

Hi this question has been on my mind for a while. I been thinking where magic will be in the future in the year 2050 or 2010 or 100 years from now. With all this new techonlogy coming out every year (cloning a baby, etc..) where will magic be at? Will people still be amazed by magic today and in the future as much as they were in the 20th and 19th century? Will big illusions become less glamorous or will be go back to the pure art of sleight of hand to amaze our audiences in the future? what do you guys think?

thanks
Amir

Re: magic in the future?

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2003, 9:40 am

Amir,
This a question I have often pondered myself. I believe there will always be some form of each individual category of magic being actively practiced.Stage illusion or close-up will depend not upon the existing technology, as technology evolves so does magic. It will depend upon the magician or magicians that will bring magic to the populous. What is their performing preferance. During the 70's & 80's thanks to Mark Wilson, Blackstone, Doug Henning, S&R, and David Copperfield, stage illusion had enjoyed wide spread public recognition and thus popularity. Now thanks to David Blaine, and Chris Angel close-up and street magic are seemingly enjoying their moment in the sun. If you asked a layman to name a magician ten years ago, most likely the name given to you would have been Copperfield. Why? Because he was the guy everyone was seeing on television and as such his magic (illusion) was what was widely recognized by the public. Not only was it what the publicreadily recognized but it is what budding magicians aspired to be.
Try that now. Chances are the name your going to hear is Blaine.And judging by the top selling effects in magic shops around the country, I assume this is what todays students of magic aspire to. My point is that who ever is gaining television exposure and enjoying succesfull ratings, it is their brand of magic that will be popular for that specific point in time. So, where does this leave magic in the future? Will it come full circle by the year 2050? Magic will be wherever the creative minds of tomorrows magicians have the vision to take it.

Ronald R. Romiski

Return to “Alternative Media”