Tenyo 2021

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
dph_2016

Tenyo 2021

Postby dph_2016 » October 20th, 2020, 9:50 am

Richard,

In your DeLand book, I seem to remember that the original Cheek to Cheek/Inverto deck may have also used short cards.

I have never seen one with short cards and was wondering if such a deck was ever actually produced.

In particular, is this feature in the new Tenyo deck?
(Of course, if so, it isn't used in the video demo).

Thanks,

Dan

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tenyo 2021

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2020, 11:09 am

DeLand wrote the instructions for "Inverto" twice. One is the little instruction sheet that came with the deck--it does not mention short cards. The second set of instructions he wrote appeared in The Sphinx, and typically when he explained his effects in the magazine the descriptions were longer and included more details of the handling. The Sphinx instructions describe the deck with a Svengali style cut of short cards so you could show the entire deck as having backs and faces.
I have two "Inverto Decks." They are extremely rare. Neither of them are cut for a Svengali style show.
Neither Grant's "Cheek to Cheek" nor any other version of the trick I've seen, including Tenyo's, is cut a la Svengali.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 20th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Richard, how about stripped? That way the face up and face down shuffle can be less exact and you can still quickly reset.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 20th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Not stripped. I've never tried to do a tabled riffle shuffle with a stripped deck ... wouldn't that cause problems?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » October 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm

David Solomon sold a stripped Cheek to Cheek deck at his lectures. Also in his first book under Stripped Cheek to Cheek.

Return to “Feature Articles”