penetrations

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

penetrations

Postby Peter Ross » November 30th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Richard K, at the end of your review of the new Tenyo trick, "4D Cross," in the Dec. 2019 Genii, you stated, "...penetrations are not as effective as vanishes, appearances, or changes..."
Could you elaborate on that point?

performer

Re: penetrations

Postby performer » November 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm

It doesn't make any particular sense to me. It would be hard to top the effect of a glass penetrating a table for example. I concede that I don't know a thing about "4D Cross". I have never been an expert on toyshop magic.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » December 1st, 2019, 11:24 am

Coin(s) thru hank and the Okito Box have always done well where I live.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 1st, 2019, 11:44 am

It's a "penetrating" question...

I am sure many on here are familiar with the old trick where a quarter is sitting on top of a piece of latex rubber (dental dam) tightly secured around a shot glass with a rubber band; in fact, I believe it's been discussed on the Forum in the past. When the spectator pushes downward on the coin with his/her finger, it visibly "penetrates" through the rubber into the glass with a wonderful sound. IMHO this is one of the greatest close up illusions of any kind, ever. If you've tried it successfully, then you know the reaction of ABSOLUTE DISBELIEF this little miracle gets. While it is not convenient for strolling magic, as it requires a set-up, when you have time, and the conditions are right, it is a killer! Caution: Do not have a woman (or a man, for that matte) with long fingernails push the coin. (I found out the hard way.)

performer

Postby performer » December 1st, 2019, 2:12 pm

Don't forget coin in bottle!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 1st, 2019, 4:05 pm

Or Pen Through Anything! Back in the 90's I commissioned the brilliant magic inventor (and magician), John Cornelius, to make me his Pen Through Anything with a Mont Blanc pen. The bar I was working in at the time, in Boca Raton, Florida, had a lot of rich tourists and corporate executive types who frequented it. Naturally they recognized and were impressed by the pen, and it had the added great advantage that no would think you had a "trick" Mont Blanc. My opening (and sometimes only) trick when I would approach people, would be to ask to borrow a 20 dollar bill. We had name badges identifying us as magicians at the time and it was a "Magic Bar," so people didn't think I was a panhandler or swindler or something. if they didn't happen to have a $20, then I would borrow a $10 or $5 spot. I would quickly do the effect (patter/presentation omitted here) jabbing that pen through, then the restoration. I would say that about 80% of the time, as I went to hand the bill bak to them, they told me to keep it. On those very rare occasions when someone would ask if they could see the pen, I would say "Sure" and then immediately do a vanish of the pen (using a sleeving move I learned from Carl Cloutier).

performer

Postby performer » December 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm

Expansion of Texture is another one. I have been doing it for 60 years and it gets great reactions. Methinks Richard should take some time to reevaluate his opinions on this matter. I shall not even mention the Chinese Linking Rings, the Thumb Tie trick and the famous card through handkerchief trick.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 1st, 2020, 10:36 pm

Peformer, how do you play opening up the weave enough to let you pull the coins through?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » January 1st, 2020, 10:46 pm

Are you referring to Expansion of Texture? If so, I am not sure what you mean by "weave". And only one coin is pulled through rather than the plural you indicate.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 7th, 2020, 10:19 pm

The trick where you pretend to pull the coin or coins through the pocket handkerchief.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Feature Articles”