4X4 Magic Square

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

4X4 Magic Square

Postby Guest » June 15th, 2005, 10:14 am

Marc Salem does a good four by four magic square routine at the beginning of his mind games show. He uses the line "exercising the brain" before the show begins in proper. The piece of paper is thrown round the audience and two numbers between 1 and 10 are picked say 7 and 2 put together they become 72. He quickly procceds to do a square with all possible combinations adding to 72. This is a great routine but is it aa play on the Berglas routine or does he use a different concept?

Darren Lawbuary

Re: 4X4 Magic Square

Postby Darren Lawbuary » June 16th, 2005, 8:35 am

Have you tried the 4x4 magic square in Avis/ Jones book....AHEAD OF THE PACK?

Wonderful.

Peace.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 16th, 2005, 12:45 pm

Hi: Just happened to see your posts. Haven't caught Mark Salem's act, but been told (by many) that the magic square he does is the one I published years ago. In APOCALYPSE, in REPUTATION-MAKERS in THE MAGIC BOOK. harry lorayne.

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » June 16th, 2005, 5:43 pm

OK, as long as everyone's pointing out their routines, take a look at my Numbers magic square effect in the Mystery School book. One advantage of my routine is that it avoids having four drastically different numbers that stick out like a sore thumb amidst the square.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2005, 5:46 pm

The Lorayne square kicks some heavy ass--it's one of the few non-card effects I used to do for laymen.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2005, 7:37 am

The Magic Square is one of the most popular/overused pieces on the trade show circuit right now. In gambler's terms, "It gets the money."
Mark

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 29th, 2005, 8:26 am

Since we are all at it, take a look at my "The Ultimate Magic Square", which combines the classic magic square effect with a visual climax. Also, since you are not writing the numbers down, but rather use 16 cards which you hold in your hands before the spectator names his number, it is even more magical. The effect is therefore not one of great mathematical skill, but more of "wow how could he know beforehand what number I will pick, since the numbers are printed on the cards". (The effect is done with 16 cards, so no sleight of hand necessary to achieve this effect.)

http://www.lybrary.com/books/TUMS.html

Best,
Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Return to “Feature Articles”