Too-Perfect Theory

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.

Re: Too-Perfect Theory

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2001, 1:21 pm

After the spectator shuffles the deck, you could turn off the camera, ring in a cold deck, and proceed.

Bill Malone doing the "Scarne Ace Cutting" on Hidden Secrets of Magic?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 3rd, 2001, 1:56 pm

I wrote, in an early issue of the "new" Genii, that I thought the real problem with camera trickery, stooges and editing is that all this creates a false expectation in the audience when they see live magic, especially of the close-up variety. A miracle accomplished by sleight of hand doesn't look as good as a card winding up in the policeman's shoe, and the audience is (or might be) less impresssed.

That dilution of the live magic experience is really too bad.

Matt Field

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » August 3rd, 2001, 3:05 pm

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
...the real problem with camera trickery, stooges and editing is that all this creates a false expectation in the audience when they see live magic, especially of the close-up variety....

I guess I disagree here. I think the TV lets people make unchallenged assumptions about how things are done. When those assumptions are wrong--and they often are--it puts me in a good position to fool them badly. There are many effects that one might brush off as camera trickery, or clever editing when seen on television, but are mindblowing when seen in person.

Jim

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2001, 5:56 am

I disagree with the "Blaine is creating false expectations"-Group.

First off, his TV shows must stand against a considerable amount of scrutiny.

Secondly, the stuff he does (including mind-reading effects) don't appear miraculous, or 'too-perfect'.

The magic he performs is accessible. ie.The thought of word/name revealed on his arm. He comes off as the middle-man in most of the effects shown. So, I don't think it's fair to say he's making magicians look like miracle-workers.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 6th, 2001, 2:55 pm

Originally posted by Josh Logan:
I disagree with the "Blaine is creating false expectations"-Group.

First off, his TV shows must stand against a considerable amount of scrutiny.

He is scrutinized heavily by magicians and associated hangers-on -- on alt.magic, Electronic Grymoire, IBM Rings, the magazines, and even the Genii forum. I'm not sure that laypeople are so scrutinizing.

Bill Mullins

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2001, 11:00 am

It is my unfortunate conclusion that laymen can look directly at your hands while you are doing a Top Change, see the cards being switched, and NOT recognize what is occurring. While many are quite observant, an equal number are not the least bit observant.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 8th, 2001, 11:34 am

Unfortunately, too many magicians perform to the less observant. Even though I can recognize many sleights when they are being performed (when Doc Eason lectured here, I caught the card going under the glass every time), I still enjoy the performance more when the magician tries to set up misdirection, etc. to cover sleights, rather than simply hoping to get away with it.
Bill

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » August 9th, 2001, 1:31 am

I just got the new Genii and finally had a chance to read the articles. I just want to add that Tom Stone is not to be blamed for the quote about Doppelgnger (page 55, I think). I am. ;)

/Tomas

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 10th, 2001, 2:22 am

My apologies to Tom S. and Tomas B for the attribution foul-up. I corrected some drafts, but in the back-and-forth with RK, this fell through the cracks.

Sorry...

Return to “Feature Articles”