The Marlo-Masonic connection

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
ksevile
Favorite Magician: Michael Vincent

The Marlo-Masonic connection

Postby ksevile » March 20th, 2023, 10:04 pm

I know a lot of magicians throughout history were and have been Masons.

Was Marlo a mason? His work was littered with what seemed to me to be many occult references… even him capitalizing certain things that he never publicly gave a stringent definition for. His protege, Racherbaumer, who I believe to be very deeply involved in the occult, even wrote in the introduction to Marlo without Tears that the book was a “chapter in the Marlovian quest for the Real Work.”

The insistence on capitalization to me hints at what I believe to be the esoteric/exoteric interplay at work.

In another work (I may have it wrong please forgive me it’s been so long since I’ve dogged deeply into some of his works), I recall a description of a method—a variation subtitled “for the uninitiated”.

As someone who is fascinated at researching and connecting the dots, I’d love it if you can fill me in on more information regarding Marlo’s status among the Brotherhood (you know which one I’m talking about).

As should be painfully obvious—and as ought to preclude any of you from sharing any further information to cover your trails as you’re so accustomed to—I am not a Mason…. I just want to know how deeply was Marlo involved if any of you know.

Names like Kabbalah are just such a red flag to my ears and eyes. That’s a classic occult text. Another red flag is Hierophant which has to do with Egyptian funeral rites… this stuff if deeply and inextricably occult in its roots.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: The Marlo-Masonic connection

Postby Tarotist » March 20th, 2023, 10:09 pm

From the little I know about Masons and the great deal I know about the esoteric I don't think Masons have any particular attraction to the occult.

ksevile
Favorite Magician: Michael Vincent

Postby ksevile » March 20th, 2023, 11:13 pm

Masons are heavily involved in the occult at the higher levels. Look up Manly P. Hall the secret teaching book and he explains it. He himself was a 33rd degree Mason.

They keep their lower level members ignorant of the true nature of their dealing (the fact that it’s occult and their “god” is Lucifer) unless they progress to the higher levels. They believe in “gnosis” or the power in “Knowledge” (in their case, occult knowledge).

I’m not trying to outright dismiss you, but anyone ignorant of the occult nature of Masonry doesn’t know about it. They try to cover it up best they can.

Robert77

Postby Robert77 » March 21st, 2023, 12:42 am

ksevile wrote:
I’m not trying to outright dismiss you, but anyone ignorant of the occult nature of Masonry doesn’t know about it. They try to cover it up best they can.

Right, we wouldn't want any of that :)

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 21st, 2023, 3:43 am

Among Masons, the principle is to be discreet, not secret.

But if you absolutely insist that Marlo was a mason, say: "The proof is that he invented "Quick Three Ways" (esoteric joke)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2023, 11:25 am

Jon Racherbaumer is not in any way involved in the occult. Please stop it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 21st, 2023, 12:35 pm

ksevile wrote:... Marlo without Tears that the book was a “chapter in the Marlovian quest for the Real Work.”...
A quest for the best methods for tricks. Nothing to do with that other book on MagiK without tears by that other magician. Please stop. Cultural appropriation is uncool.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » March 21st, 2023, 1:23 pm

“Cultural appropriation” is such a heavy and interesting concept I was not aware of. After a brief overview, there is no question that there is a bit of cross-fertilization going on here in the choosing of titles for books on card tricks. Racherbaumer is obviously a broad-minded well-read individual. Rock bands sample various sounds from other cultures all the time and implement them regularly in their songs. I personally don’t see this as a form of disrespect but rather the natural tendency of an exchange and borrowing of ideas. Some cultures and societies are obviously more insular than others. I think magic with a c can be a bit in this category. Opa!

kkelly

Postby kkelly » March 21st, 2023, 3:23 pm

"Was Marlo a mason? "

No.

Return to “Reference Room”