Card Warp (not the trick)

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Card Warp (not the trick)

Postby mrmagik68 » November 20th, 2022, 7:31 pm

Hey guys,

I live in NYC and temps have already started dropping which means that when it gets cold all of my decks get warped, they create this popping sound when handling them and I just can't stand it so, I won't touch them until they unwarp again. I'm sure some of you also live in cold climate areas, what do you guys do to prevent this from happening to your cards? I thought about getting a card clip but wanted to pose the question here first. Many thanks!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Card Warp (not the trick)

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2022, 8:11 pm

Card clip! Make sure it's a good one, not a counterfeit piece of crap that doesn't do the job.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » November 20th, 2022, 10:40 pm

Thanks Richard. Can you recommend a good one?

Roberto

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 21st, 2022, 7:12 am

Harry Lorayne had a great tip: Faro the cards face up and face down and put them in a freezer overnight.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 21st, 2022, 9:23 am

Bob Farmer wrote:Harry Lorayne had a great tip: Faro the cards face up and face down and put them in a freezer overnight.

Ah yes, give them a bit of the hair of the dog that bit them. Never would have thought of that.

Here is an excellent article about card clips, including some specific recommendations.
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/8146 ... hy-get-one
It was written by Ender's Game, and therefore, very well-researched, comprehensive, and articulately written.

I don't know if it's true, but I've read more than once that Joe Porper (of color-changing-knife-making fame) invented the card clip, and that his were the best available. Joe transcended the physical plane not that long ago, but apparently there is a successor company that acquired the rights to make them. They claim that the clips are essentially the same as the ones Joe, himself, made as far as materials and overall quality. There are some beautiful "Porper" clips available with splendid art work inscribed on them, e.g. Dante, Keller, court cards, and other distinctive designs, taking a ho-hum accessory to an admirable work of art. Not cheap, but then great quality usually comes at a price.

A word about Joe. He made the best color-changing knives ever (IMO) and was quite skillful in performing with them (see, e.g., "Chameleon Knives"). He was caretaker of his seriously ill wife for years before he, himself, was called into the great magical beyond. He used to answer the phone himself when I called to make an order, and we would have long chats about knives and magic. He even gave me a complimentary copy of his Chameleon Knives DVD along with the first order I placed with him. He is a kind, warm, lovable soul, and the world of magic (and at large) was diminished with his passing.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » November 21st, 2022, 2:13 pm

Alfred:

Is that Joe Porper or Joe Morgar?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2022, 2:51 pm

The idea of the card clip came from Larry Jennings. He asked Joe Porper if he could make some kind of portable metal clamp that would prevent cards from buckling. If you can find one made by Porper, those are the best.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 21st, 2022, 5:03 pm

Steve Hook wrote:Alfred:

Is that Joe Porper or Joe Morgar?

Steve, thanks for gently pointing out my error. I got my Joes all bolaxed up. They warned me that this was going to start happening.

Joe Porper = the card clips (and whose brand and products have been taken over by a successor company since his passing)

Joe Mogar = the knives (and if Mark Twain were around, he'd point out that rumors of Joe Mogar's death may have been greatly exaggerated).

AJM

Postby AJM » November 21st, 2022, 6:19 pm

I recall buying a card clip from Joe Porper himself when he had a stand at Blackpool many years ago.

Richard - as I recall the Genii stand was next door to Joe’s that year.

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2022, 6:55 pm

It may have been.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » November 21st, 2022, 9:37 pm

I live in a cold climate. I have never had cards warp. Why would they if they are in your pocket all the time?

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » November 22nd, 2022, 10:10 am

The problem in the winter is lack of humidity. I have two stand alone humidifiers, one in my music room for my acoustic guitars, and one in my magic room for cards and overall comfort. I try to keep the humidity between 45% and 50%. Even a popping deck can be revived if spread out widely in a humidified environment. That’s why the freezer trick works.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » November 22nd, 2022, 6:06 pm

To be honest, I have used Bikes in hot climates many years back (Menorca & Tenerife).

At the first sign of direct sunlight; and adding sweaty palms into the mix; they start wilting like a bloke with a plastic hip standing next to an open fire.

Return to “Reference Room”