out of this world handling

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
kevinygao
Favorite Magician: Joshua Jay

out of this world handling

Postby kevinygao » August 13th, 2020, 9:29 pm

this video randomly got recommended for me on youtube, so I thought I'd check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59YhcuOWWk

This has got to be one of the cleanest handlings of out of this world, and I thought I would have seen it before somewhere, but I couldn't find any source on this handling (at least, not in my library). I even looked through the entire contents of 'Best of All Worlds' by Brent Arthur James Geris, but no luck. Anyone know where this originated from? Thanks

Jack Shalom

Re: out of this world handling

Postby Jack Shalom » August 13th, 2020, 10:07 pm

I don't think there's much original about this: the two main strategies he uses, I've certainly seen before. Perhaps that particular combination of the two strategies is original, but I would be surprised if it were.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 14th, 2020, 4:39 am

For instance, see The Gen, Vol. 15, no. 3, July 1959, page 82. Guess who is the author?

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 14th, 2020, 7:41 am

But Marlo's "Subconscious" is quite different in that the strip-out is done after the deal, which I have always loved, since the spectator can shuffle, deal a few cards, shuffle again, look at the faces, continue dealing, and so on. In the video, the deck is just used to get into the standard set-up after an honest shuffle.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 14th, 2020, 9:00 am

I also prefer, as in the Grant's version, in which the spectator shuffles before the trick begins.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 14th, 2020, 10:47 am

I enjoyed the performance and the character of the magician--he got a great response. I liked the fact the spectator didn't have to switch colors midstream. The magician also did a nice job of making the lengthy dealing procedure entertaining for the audience.

With respect though, I thought the way the cards were cut and handled after the spectator deals looked a bit furtive and did not seem particularly well motivated by the presentation. I feel that the more perceived procedure that occurs after the spectator deals, the less clean the effect appears.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » August 14th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Agree with Erdnasephile's thoughts and observations. My favorite handling is John Mendoza's. I learned it off the first volume of the DVD series, "My Best." Spectator doesn't shuffle, but it's very streamlined and straightforward, with only one move that's entirely justified and slides by every time. As long as the spectators don't believe or suspect there could be a set-up, it's not necessary that they shuffle.

Personally, I surreptitiously separate the reds and blacks in the course of the previous trick. Then, a Zarrow Shuffle, or a "Color Shuffle" and/or jog shuffle, that begins by cutting off the bottom one-third of the deck, is a more-than-ample convincer.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 16th, 2020, 4:49 pm

There is a "quick" version I like very much. It's "Getting On With this World" by Steve Draun, published in At the Table by Racherbaumer in 1984.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » August 17th, 2020, 9:12 am

Although OOTW requires a table, putting that one limitation aside, it has everything and more one could want from a card trick: It's completely done in the spectator's hands and within their control (at least apparently, if well-presented), with no influence or manipulation (again, apparently) on the part of the magician, and it is truly astonishing, within the realm of the impossible. Moreover, it has a number of different presentational angles, limited only by one's imagination. For example, a test of the spectator's abilities of ESP or intuition, an experiment in hypnosis, a conveyance of temporary magical abilities from magician to spectator, or an exertion of mind control over the spectator by the magician - sort of Derren Brownesque, although I'm not inclined to that particular kind of presentation.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » August 17th, 2020, 11:28 am

It is close to Rainer Mees' handling in Nostalgia. And reminds me of an unpublished Derren Brown handling. I agree with Erdnasephile about the need to justify the handling at the end - but it can be done well.
On the benefits or otherwise of switching half way through, Curry wrote an entertaining article in Pabular, reprinted in Best of All Worlds, where he argues in favour of the switch. He says if the spectator deals straight through there is a good chance the two packets will be of different sizes. Then the idea that one packet could be all red and one all black is clearly nonsense. He says that when he hit on the idea of switching, it not only solved that problem, it made it self-working. And the switch could be fully-justified. I recommend the article.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 17th, 2020, 11:42 am

See Pabular, Vol. 4, no. 10, June 1978, page 582

Return to “Reference Room”