need help with reference

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
kevinygao
Favorite Magician: Joshua Jay

need help with reference

Postby kevinygao » August 4th, 2020, 6:03 pm

didn't know where else to ask questions about referencing.

Are there sources in print that talk about using double stick tape inside a card box as a holdout to retain cards?
I know that Braue in his "The Fred Braue Notebooks" uses wax stuck inside the box to hold back cards, which is an old reference, but I couldn't find any sort of more recent source that uses the tape instead, and it seems like a technique that digital content doesn't bother with crediting. Much appreciated.

Frank Yuen

Re: need help with reference

Postby Frank Yuen » August 4th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I don't personally think changing the adhesive used would warrant crediting at all. I'd go with the Braue reference unless someone comes up with something earlier.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 5th, 2020, 1:53 am

Here is an earlier reference:

The Magician Monthly, Vol. 25, no 3, february 1929, Booth's Card-N-Corner Mystery, page 29.

kevinygao
Favorite Magician: Joshua Jay

Postby kevinygao » August 5th, 2020, 2:57 pm

thanks, Philippe!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 5th, 2020, 4:04 pm

There is much to be said about craftsmanship and engineering, e. g. making long cards or an expanded coin shell, that merits "credit".

So, is there a credit to be had for applying roughing fluid to the inside of the box too? How about Science Friction specifically?

Return to “Reference Room”