What is the name of this top palm?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
ksevile
Favorite Magician: Michael Vincent

What is the name of this top palm?

Postby ksevile » March 27th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Hello all,

A recent look at the palms in Expert Card Technique and trying each out has spurred my interest in the subject of card palming. I hardly ever palm during performances at this point (have never got past the initial nerves of being caught, and have refrained for fear of exposing such possibilities of manipulation to a lay audience).

I was wondering if someone could point out the name of this palm to me. It’s been my standard approach to a top palm in practice for years. Maybe Joe Berg palm if I remember the mechanics correctly.

A break is held under the top card with deck held in left hand mechanic’s grip. The right hand comes over as if to square the pack and the fourth finger presses down and forward on the top card causing it to lever up into the palm. It’s a very simple and quick action.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: What is the name of this top palm?

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 27th, 2020, 6:26 pm

With the Berg Palm, you need a large hand. The inner side of the tip of your right pinky presses against the right side of the outer right corner of the top card. Then you simply move your right hand straight forward. The card pivots against the left thumb (via the outer left corner), and in line under your right hand.
On the other hand, if you're just talking about pushing down on the outer right corner with your pinky and sliding the card forward, that would have been the step before Vernon's Topping the Deck.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Reference Room”